The Student Room Group

Choosing A Levels.

So yeah, i'm heading into 6th form next year and although i have told my school i am choosing History, Geography, Law and English Literature, i don't think i will end up taking English Literature now. After deciding this, i have 3 subjects which i may possibly do, however i don't have enough info about any of them to be sure. As many of you in this forum will have experienced Sociology, Psychology and Economics, i'm asking for a bit of info on the subjects. I thought Psychology sounded interesting, however i have read Maths is part of it, something i dislike. I also don't plan to take a Science route through life, so maybe it isn't the best option? Sociology seems decent too, but yet again i'm not sure what it involves. It looks at societies beliefs? What else? The jobs linked to the subject don't seem very interesting. Finally Economics, i was a bit naive and assumed it heavily featured Maths for some reason. Is this true? From what i have read it talks more about Marketing than Numbers. So if you guys could tell me a bit about the subjects i'd be very grateful!
Reply 1
Dropping english is a wise idea. Having two subjects which involve writing tons of essays is stress personified.
Reply 2
I did Psychology at A-Level and loved it. (We never touched on Maths except for a module called "Research Statistics" which is very basic). You will learn about a number of topics; from abnormal psychology involving mental health issues to social psychology which includes group behaviour, cultural norms, influences etc. You will also learn about cognitive psychology involving memory development, development of language etc and you should also touch on the brain i.e. its development from childhood etc. Of course, the usual Freudian psychoanalysis stands.

Psychology is huge now and many people go on to study it. It gives you a broad insight into humanity, how we work, how we grow, why we feel the things we feel. I loved it that much that I studied it at University.

I also did Law and found it very hard. Interesting but very hard. Lots of cases to remember and a hefty workload also but a desirable subject nonetheless.

Sociology is very similiar to Psychology but focuses more on society as a whole; family dynamics, culture, that sort of thing.

Economics is very mathematical and obviously, financially related. This type of degree is quite sought after (I now work in Recruitment) by my clients.

I hope this helps and do let me know if you need any further help.

Ash
Reply 3
Original post by Stupified
I did Psychology at A-Level and loved it. (We never touched on Maths except for a module called "Research Statistics" which is very basic). You will learn about a number of topics; from abnormal psychology involving mental health issues to social psychology which includes group behaviour, cultural norms, influences etc. You will also learn about cognitive psychology involving memory development, development of language etc and you should also touch on the brain i.e. its development from childhood etc. Of course, the usual Freudian psychoanalysis stands.

Psychology is huge now and many people go on to study it. It gives you a broad insight into humanity, how we work, how we grow, why we feel the things we feel. I loved it that much that I studied it at University.

I also did Law and found it very hard. Interesting but very hard. Lots of cases to remember and a hefty workload also but a desirable subject nonetheless.

Sociology is very similiar to Psychology but focuses more on society as a whole; family dynamics, culture, that sort of thing.

Economics is very mathematical and obviously, financially related. This type of degree is quite sought after (I now work in Recruitment) by my clients.

I hope this helps and do let me know if you need any further help.

Ash

If you were referring to history jcarz then yeah i guess you're right, it would cripple any chance of a social life. Thanks Ash, it does help me. When you say basic Maths, do you mean it? I'm not good at it at all, i'm a B at GCSE in it. Does it involve looking at the neurones in the brain and all that too? Would Sociology be another essay subject like History though? Psychology sounds interesting, it's just my brother did it and said it was awful, we're two different people but still makes me unsure. It's funny, the booklet i was provided by school to advertise the various subjects mentioned good Maths skills was needed, yet nothing other than 'goes well with Maths' in the Economics section. It also says good science is needed for Psychology. I'm not brilliant in this area either, although i will hopefully keep my A in Biology (find out tomorrow!). Sorry for all the questions, you just seem to be quite knowledgeable on the topic!
Reply 4
Hey,

During Psychology at A-level, I can promise you that the maths is basic. It's not the standard algebra, multiplication etc nor is it quadratic equations. You will start using a statistical programme called "SPSS." When you get taught how to use it, it's fantastic. Every experimental psychologist out there uses this programme to analyse data and provide accurate results. But, it's not overly difficult once you know how. SPSS is not used a lot at A-level, but if you plan on taking this subject to degree level, you will find you'll use it a lot more. It's fun, I promise! And for the records, I achieved a C grade at GCSE level.

Sociology is another essay writing subject I'm afraid however, if you choose to take any social science subject, you'll find it hard to move away from this. Developing your essay writing skills is crucial if you choose to go to University but it all depends on what type of person you are. Are you more facts and figures or do you prefer to think outside the box, explore theories and debate etc? If you prefer a more black and white, straight cut subject then psychology and sociology may not be the best option. Economics and any hard science like Biology is more like it. Psychology is tough at times because you have to argue points from many angles and theories; there's a lot of information to process and it can get a tad confusing. Saying this, it still remains my favourite subject (probably because I enjoy thinking critically; like debating topics and don't see things as being black or white).

The only piece of advice I can really give you is to choose your subjects wisely; don't choose Economics over Psychology because you hate writing lots of essays or don't choose Sociology of Psychology because you're not overly mathematical. Make sure you choose the subjects that will aid you in the future but also those that you enjoy. If you plan on going to University after college, then remember it's exceptionally competitive now; you will want to give yourself the best possible chance.

Above all, enjoy it!!

Ash

Quick Reply

Latest