The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medical School Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by drhaj
Hi there

Just wanted to ask a quick question to the offer holders (congratulations by the way)

I got 10 A*s and 2 As in my GCSEs and I just finished my AS exams and would get my results soon (fingers crossed). I just want to know if I have a chance of getting into Cardiff if my AS grades are like: AABB or AAAB.

Thanks

I got into Cardiff with AAAB at AS. And your GCSEs are brilliant, you would have a chance at an interview I reckon. :smile: Good luck with your results.
Reply 1981
Original post by Angury
I got into Cardiff with AAAB at AS. And your GCSEs are brilliant, you would have a chance at an interview I reckon. :smile: Good luck with your results.

Oh thank you :smile: I genuinely hope so! Congratulations on the offer and would you mind if I ask what your UKCAT score was? thanks :smile:
Reply 1982
Original post by drhaj
Oh thank you :smile: I genuinely hope so! Congratulations on the offer and would you mind if I ask what your UKCAT score was? thanks :smile:

I applied for 2012 entry, and my UKCAT was 622 I think. I was very disappointed with it, which is why I chose to apply to Cardiff, since they only use it to distinguish between similar candidates.
Reply 1983
Original post by Angury
I applied for 2012 entry, and my UKCAT was 622 I think. I was very disappointed with it, which is why I chose to apply to Cardiff, since they only use it to distinguish between similar candidates.

Oh okays.. Thank you :smile:
Reply 1984
Could anyone please outline to me cardiffs admission process and how much weighting they put on each section of the application eg gcse ukcat ps etc?
Original post by TheMan17
Could anyone please outline to me cardiffs admission process and how much weighting they put on each section of the application eg gcse ukcat ps etc?

For this year's cycle

Your top 9 GCSE's are scored
3 points for an A*
2 points for an A
1 point for a B

These 9 GCSE's have to include English, Maths and Sciences.

A cut-off is set, those below the cut-off will not be considered further. People living in poor areas/ have extenuating circumstances may be reconsidered.
If you're a GAP year applicant (with achieved grades of AAA or above), your academic points will increase based on a sliding scale.
The cut-off was around 24-25 points this year.

Those above the cut-off will be scored according to their non-academic qualities (personal statement/ reference).

The top applicants are invited for an interview. An offer/rejection is made solely on interview performance. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1986
Original post by frogs r everywhere
For this year's cycleYour top 9 GCSE's are scored3 points for an A*2 points for an A1 point for a BThese 9 GCSE's have to include English, Maths and Sciences.A cut-off is set, those below the cut-off will not be considered further. People living in poor areas/ have extenuating circumstances may be reconsidered. If you're a GAP year applicant (with achieved grades of AAA or above), your academic points will increase based on a sliding scale.The cut-off was around 24-25 points this year. Those above the cut-off will be scored according to their non-academic qualities (personal statement/ reference). The top applicants are invited for an interview. An offer/rejection is made solely on interview performance. :smile:
Thanks for that, do they really only use the ukcat for borderline cases? Also if you don't mindme asking what were your stats?
Thanks for that, do they really only use the ukcat for borderline cases? Also if you don't mindme asking what were your stats?

Yes they do. I didn't receive an offer from cardiff, so I doubt my stats will be helpful :redface:
Reply 1988

Just to clear up any confusion as the term 'borderline cases' is quite ambiguous. Cardiff use the UKCAT to distinguish between similar candidates. So if two candidates are contending for 1 offer and their interview performance, academic and non-academic scores are the same, they will use the UKCAT to decide. A bad UKCAT should not stop you applying to Cardiff.
Reply 1989
Anyone know how many are usually accepted from Cardiff's waiting list each year? I heard less than 20 quoted before (obviously it varies each year) but I was wondering if anyone had a definitive answer.

Thanks!
Reply 1990
Hey guys, I'm a little bit confused with the document verification stuff atm (apologies, not the most technical/well-informed person there is out there!)

In my offers, they require me to give evidence of my degree (which I've just completed earlier last month), satisfactory CRB + occupational health forms.

My question is...
...how do I verify them when they have not actually asked for them in the Cardiff SIMS portal? :colondollar:

Sorry if it's a silly question! Was considering uploading transcripts and etc up there but don't wanna risk it. XD

Cheers guys!
Passed the IB and met my offer for Cardiff!! So excited :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by watse004

Congrats! :awesome:
Reply 1993

Woohoo well done! :biggrin:

I've also met my offer so I guess might be seeing you this upcoming September then? =D
Reply 1994

:woo: Congrats! You're in for a brilliant time.

Original post by Nimbus

I've also met my offer so I guess might be seeing you this upcoming September then? =D

I might see you guys sometime this year then. :biggrin: Just write TSR all over your face or something, then I'll know who you are.

Original post by Blackshadow
Congrats! :awesome:

O hai dere mr second year. :wink:
Original post by Angury
:woo:

Haha hey! How's it going?
Original post by Nimbus

I'm deferring, but have a sick time in September and I'll be over next year! :biggrin:
Reply 1997
Original post by Blackshadow
X

Well done. Enjoy second year.
Reply 1998
Original post by Angury
:woo: Congrats! You're in for a brilliant time.

I might see you guys sometime this year then. :biggrin: Just write TSR all over your face or something, then I'll know who you are.

Awesome~ look forward to seeing you! =D

I'm deferring, but have a sick time in September and I'll be over next year! :biggrin:

Oh I see~! Ouu do you something excited planned for this upcoming year then? =D
Cheers~! Will certainly look out for you next year! =D
Original post by Elwyn
Well done. Enjoy second year.

Hey! I'll be starting 2nd year in september. Could you tell me what the recommended books are so I can buy them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending