The Student Room Group

Anders Behring Breivik gets 21 years in Jail - Minimum 10 years.

Right-wing killer Anders Breivik jailed for 21 years for mass murder of 77 people.

It disgusted me. He took so many lives away and yet when he finishes his sentence he will still a life. I think he should most definitely get a life sentence.

What are your opinions on this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2192920/Anders-Behring-Breivik-sane-jailed-killing-77-people-Norway.html#ixzz24SIptpzm
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Anders Breivik, the man who killed 77 people and further injuring another 200 people in a mass shooting on an island in Utøya. He was declared sane and as the title suggests has been sentenced to 21 years, of which he will serve a minimum of 10 years.

Confused as to why the guy who made Megaupload gets 50 years and this guy serves only 10, that is less than 4 months per life taken not to mention the hundreds he injured. :confused:
Reply 2
WTF reminds me of the maniac in Brazil who murdered over 100 little boys but only got 21 yrs in prison and got released... Because certain countries aren't allowed to give more than certain years. Makes Britains prison system look amazing...
Different countries, different approach to the justice system.
Reply 4
21 years is the maximum term allowed to be given as a sentence in Norway, but it can (and in this case almost certainly will) be extended indefinitely if the prisoner committed a murder of "severe cruelty". They hold a hearing at the end of the 21 years and decide whether the prisoner is still a threat-it's not as lenient as it seems. In this case, I think the media uproar would be so great if his term were not extended that it's a foregone conclusion it will be.
Reply 5
"He was convicted of terrorism and premeditated murder, and given the maximum sentence of 21 years' imprisonment.

However, that can be prolonged at a later date if he is deemed to remain a danger to society. "

This guy ain't going to see freedom again. Ever. Don't get your knickers in a twist because of the wording.
Reply 6
I heard on the news that in Norway, they can extend the sentence at the end of the initial term for 5 years at a time... So every 5 years, they could extend the term by another 5 years. Seems a bit of a kerfuffle, they should totally just lock him up forever and leave him to rot, but at least he probably won't only be serving 21.
Reply 7
Original post by Zaib.s
Terrorist Anders Breivik jailed for 21 years for mass murder of 77 people.

I disgusted me. He took so many lives away and yet when he finishes his sentence he will still a life. I think he should most definitely get a life sentence.

What are your opinions on this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2192920/Anders-Behring-Breivik-sane-jailed-killing-77-people-Norway.html#ixzz24SIptpzm

Corrected.
Is that the final verdict? Last I heard they were still reading the sentencing.
Reply 9
Original post by prog2djent
Corrected.

What difference do you think that word makes
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Is that the final verdict? Last I heard they were still reading the sentencing.

The BBC are saying the same

But have said that it can be extended if he is still deemed to be a danger to society
I understand that 21 years is the maximum sentence for murder but could he not have been given 77x21
Reply 12
He will never be let out of jail. After 21 years they will review the case, find that he is still dangerous, and sentence him to a further 5 years under 'preventative detention'. They'll do that every 5 years until he is dead. It says as much in your article.

His sentence is, in effect, life.
It just frustrates me because he wanted this exact sentence and he wanted to be declared sane. In effect they have given him a sense of affirmation in what he has done and he is proud of it. In my opinion he should have been declared insane and sentenced to life in a safe mental institution because that would be what he wanted least; for people to claim his ideals were insane. Instead his ideals have been upheld, in his eyes. I don't know if what I suggested is even legal in Norway, it's just a shame it didn't happen because it's given him exactly what he wanted.

EDIT: Good to see we have some fans of Breivik here. Disgusting that you'd neg rep me for wanting this nutter locked away from people's children, but whatever!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
in America he would be waiting for the death squad to come in
Reply 15
Original post by MattKneale
It just frustrates me because he wanted this exact sentence and he wanted to be declared sane. In effect they have given him a sense of affirmation in what he has done and he is proud of it. In my opinion he should have been declared insane and sentenced to life in a safe mental institution because that would be what he wanted least; for people to claim his ideals were insane. Instead his ideals have been upheld, in his eyes. I don't know if what I suggested is even legal in Norway, it's just a shame it didn't happen because it's given him exactly what he wanted.

You can't just declare people insane for political reasons!
Original post by sucess
in America he would be waiting for the death squad to come in

Oh really, is that what's happening to James Holmes?
Original post by mangoh
broken britain again
Since you are mangoh, I'm genuinely unsure if this is a serious remark or not. :erm:
21 years is just the maximum jail term and they have reviews every 5 years. So he won't be getting out for a very long time.
Original post by mangoh
broken britain again

He was sentenced in Norway...

Even if he may be considered for extra time for still being a danger to society years down the line, the original sentence should have been life and mean life. I can't understand why they gave him such a pathetic sentence. (I understand this is the maximum sentence they can give, but that doesn't make it right, there's still a slim chance he can be out of prison).
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending