The Student Room Group

Football Manager Society III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ozzyoscy
It depends how you're playing. If the team is losing through tough luck and 1-0s, rather than 2-0 and 3-0, it can still be a good season. It was a few games until I picked up a point/win (I forget which), and there was also a spell mid-season where we didn't win for 10 games or something, and we still finished 2nd in our first season.
The team is playing OK, but I've been carried by a fantastic striker for two seasons and he's now playing in the premiership. It was 2x0-0 draws, 2x 1-0 losses and 1x 3-0 thrashing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Someone asked for star players from tiny countries, so I looked at my game and... I think I win...

British Virgin Islands' area is 59 sq. miles.

Is that...FM 2005?
I've now won the OFC Nations cup (2032), as New Zealand , to add to my European Championship (2016) and African Cup of Nations (2026). Didn't concede a goal, playing an attacking 3-0-2-3-2 formation. I'm going to stay for the Confederations Cup in China and hopefully not get destroyed (unless a good job comes after the 2032 Euros in France etc.).

Original post by Procrastin8R
Is that...FM 2005?

I've now won the OFC Nations cup (2032), as New Zealand , to add to my European Championship (2016) and African Cup of Nations (2026). Didn't concede a goal, playing an attacking 3-0-2-3-2 formation. I'm going to stay for the Confederations Cup in China and hopefully not get destroyed (unless a good job comes after the 2032 Euros in France etc.).

Ah, I thought it recognised it (I've played both 2005 and 2007 but strangely not 2006). Nice and retro! :smile:
Ah, I thought it recognised it (I've played both 2005 and 2007 but strangely not 2006). Nice and retro! :smile:

Well here's the other one I regularly play:

Well here's the other one I regularly play:

Jesus, I'm not even old enough to know what that is. Is it one of the old Championship Manager games?
Jesus, I'm not even old enough to know what that is. Is it one of the old Championship Manager games?

The very first. Well, the second, but the first to have real players. CM 93/94, which I have on a 'World Cup Year 94' compilation disc which includes Sensible World of Soccer, Goal! and Striker.

A season takes just a few hours, player attributes are vague, and the most that players ever earn is £6000 a week.
Crazy North American qualifiers. In the First Phase Second Round, British Virgin Islands beat El Salvador 8-2 (on agg.), Haiti beat Honduras 3-1, Barbados beat T&T 3-1, and Montserrat and Turks & Caicos Islands are through to the second round group stage.

To top it off, one of the groups is Canada, Montserrat, Barbados and British Virgin Islands, which means one of those 3 small countries will go through to the final group stage. Look forward to seeing how that turns out.
2032 European Champions: Republic of Ireland.

4 years after Poland beat Lithuania to win it...

Crowd reaction was interesting. The final was in France and against England, and it seems, in FM 07 at least, they have realistic neutral fan reaction. Whenever England had the ball there was complete silence or loud boos, and whenever Ireland attacked the Frenchies went nuts urging them on, and especially when their star striker scored and when the final whistle went.
I've so far carried Forest Green to the Championship and the team is currently being carried by an 18 year old Jamaican who I bought for £900 who is a complete midfielder. When I finally get an upgrade to this laptop, I'll get FM 2015 and start another career with a low level team and see if I can get them to win the top division in their country and win an international trophy.
2014-08-27_00001.jpg

Would it be worth turning this guy into a left winger?
Original post by jackf1337

Would it be worth turning this guy into a left winger?

Probably more worth it turning him into a right winger so he can cut in and get goals from there. Improve his passing though.
Original post by jam278
Probably more worth it turning him into a right winger so he can cut in and get goals from there. Improve his passing though.

Problem is I've got two very good right wingers, as well a few coming through the youth, so I could do without clogging up that position even more. My options on the left are somewhat limited. One of my right wingers is able to play on the left (he's the main option), and my backup is the player who is usually my playmaker so I'd rather keep him in central midfield. Both of those players had long term injuries in my last season which caused issues down that flank.

I like Bennett as a striker, especially as he's an advanced forward type (really struggle to find top level strikers who aren't poachers) although his finishing is poor and I have other options upfront. Seeing as he's quick and has decent enough crossing and dribbling, a position on the flanks for him seems like a good shout.

Also worth noting that I am really struggling to find left sided players good enough for my first team under £50m. I do have cash to spend but I have kept a rigorous wage structure (won the PL 3 times in last 5 years) and my annual wage bill has never been above £59m (7th highest in the league).

So, left wing or try and improve him as a striker?
(edited 9 years ago)
Problem is I've got two very good right wingers, as well a few coming through the youth, so I could do without clogging up that position even more. My options on the left are somewhat limited. One of my right wingers is able to play on the left (he's the main option), and my backup is the player who is usually my playmaker so I'd rather keep him in central midfield. Both of those players had long term injuries in my last season which caused issues down that flank.

I like Bennett as a striker, especially as he's an advanced forward type (really struggle to find top level strikers who aren't poachers) although his finishing is poor and I have other options upfront. Seeing as he's quick and has decent enough crossing and dribbling, a position on the flanks for him seems like a good shout.

Also worth noting that I am really struggling to find left sided players good enough for my first team under £50m. I do have cash to spend but I have kept a rigorous wage structure (won the PL 3 times in last 5 years) and my annual wage bill has never been above £59m (7th highest in the league).

So, left wing or try and improve him as a striker?

I'd dip into a young winger tbh and pay 10M tops for him as your finances are sound enough. Let the guy develop truly into the beast you have at ST. Or convert your young right wingers into an LW.

Looking at his stats and age. He's 24, his technique is 13 and his passing is poor and his creativity is at 14. I reckon he'll be a frustrating player to have at LW.

Anyway, what's the weirdest transition you've done for a player? I've turned my fullbacks into CMs as they were good at passing and had good positioning and dribbling ability plus pace.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
I'd dip into a young winger tbh and pay 10M tops for him as your finances are sound enough. Let the guy develop truly into the beast you have at ST. Or convert your young right wingers into an LW.

Looking at his stats and age. He's 24, his technique is 13 and his passing is poor and his creativity is at 14. I reckon he'll be a frustrating player to have at LW.

Anyway, what's the weirdest transition you've done for a player? I've turned my fullbacks into CMs as they were good at passing and had good positioning and dribbling ability plus pace.

I'm searching high and low. I do prefer to bring in younger players but I can't seem to find anyone who is/will be in the future good enough for a sensible price. I think I'll keep Bennett at ST for another season at least, probably for good. Might try playing two up front a bit more often as I have at least two strikers good enough to score me 20+ goals.
His stats really confuse me. Does score plenty of goals despite the poor finishing.

I've never been huge on moving players about to be honest. I often fear it'll stagnate their progress in their primary position and backfire and turn them into a completely average player :confused: (I'm fairly sure I ruined Romario (FM12 wonderkid) by making him a RWB).
I'm not great at recognising when players will work in other positions, although I once moved a DM to LB, not sure how that's worked out as he's on loan ATM, I'll assess when he arrives back. Not sure he was ever first team material, though.

Not strictly transitions, but I have a few great (kind of) utility players in my team. (Can post pics if you like).
Zgela: can play LM, LW, CM and AM all to the same level.
Rivis: can play RM, RW, CM and AM all to the same level.
Brizuela (since sold): was a LB, had secondary positions of LWB, RB, DM and CM.
Zelenka (since sold): was a CB, but had secondary positions of DM and CM.

I think the only one of these I did myself was making Brizuela a LWB when I had a phase of 5-2-1-2 (since moved on to 3-4-1-2)
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm searching high and low. I do prefer to bring in younger players but I can't seem to find anyone who is/will be in the future good enough for a sensible price. I think I'll keep Bennett at ST for another season at least, probably for good. Might try playing two up front a bit more often as I have at least two strikers good enough to score me 20+ goals.
His stats really confuse me. Does score plenty of goals despite the poor finishing.

I've never been huge on moving players about to be honest. I often fear it'll stagnate their progress in their primary position and backfire and turn them into a completely average player :confused: (I'm fairly sure I ruined Romario (FM12 wonderkid) by making him a RWB).
I'm not great at recognising when players will work in other positions, although I once moved a DM to LB, not sure how that's worked out as he's on loan ATM, I'll assess when he arrives back. Not sure he was ever first team material, though.

Not strictly transitions, but I have a few great (kind of) utility players in my team. (Can post pics if you like).
Zgela: can play LM, LW, CM and AM all to the same level.
Rivis: can play RM, RW, CM and AM all to the same level.
Brizuela (since sold): was a LB, had secondary positions of LWB, RB, DM and CM.
Zelenka (since sold): was a CB, but had secondary positions of DM and CM.

I think the only one of these I did myself was making Brizuela a LWB when I had a phase of 5 at the back.

Pics would be nice.

I prefer to bring through younger players. Can show you my Sociedad players too. At one point my whole midfield and first choice striker were products of the youth system but for success in this game you have to spend.

Your player gets a lot of goals because he had good composure and anticipation so will get into good positions to score. I have an attacking midfielder who was scoring a goal a game e.g. but my style of play always has average strikers but high goalscoring wingers as I get the strikers to focus on closing down in FM14. FM11 and 12 I always had goalscoring strikers.

I just play them in other positions as I generally have specific player roles that I have to use(BBM, AF, DLP defend) that I look for specific signings.

Romario was always beast for me. Sold him to Juve for 12M at the age of 29 so he obviously was a good player.
Original post by jam278
Pics would be nice.

I prefer to bring through younger players. Can show you my Sociedad players too. At one point my whole midfield and first choice striker were products of the youth system but for success in this game you have to spend.

Your player gets a lot of goals because he had good composure and anticipation so will get into good positions to score. I have an attacking midfielder who was scoring a goal a game e.g. but my style of play always has average strikers but high goalscoring wingers as I get the strikers to focus on closing down in FM14. FM11 and 12 I always had goalscoring strikers.

I just play them in other positions as I generally have specific player roles that I have to use(BBM, AF, DLP defend) that I look for specific signings.

Romario was always beast for me. Sold him to Juve for 12M at the age of 29 so he obviously was a good player.

Alright I'll post some screenies of those players I mentioned to you, might not be until Friday evening though. There's another guy called Casca actually, primarily a DM but can also play RB, CM and RM. He's my first choice RB, haven't bothered with DM's for a couple of seasons and the other positions have enough cover. Love players that can cover 4/5 positions, makes choosing 23 man CL squads a lot easier.

That's interesting, I generally switch the roles to suit the player (only in central positions- I keep wingers/wide players and full backs to suit the formation), however many of my players are capable of the same role. So my midfield is always AP and either BWM or BBM depending on the opposition (would love a DLP instead of AP though). I find it hard to come across defenders that aren't CD/Stoppers (or covering) (lack of BPDs is killing me- and defenders who can pass), midfielders who aren't advanced playmakers and strikers who aren't poachers. Need me more sweepers keepers, BBMs, DLF's etc. etc. or at least players with the attributes to thrive in those positions! Have you ever seen a defensive or complete forward? I'm guessing you take it upon yourself to decide on that role, I've never seen either.

I'll post you a screenie of Romario's history on my career. Broke into the first team fairly early, had 9 season of playing very very average, little to no assists or anything, genuinely nothing special, but did a job as I built the rest of the team. Sold him to Arles Avignon for just under £6m I think (they're about CL level on this career) where he started playing amazing -.-
Original post by jam278

In FM 2007, I trained Spurs' young reserve striker Pekhart as a right midfielder due to his crossing and creative abilities. He became the next David Beckham, his crossing and corners as well lead to many trophies.

Also I had a CB/ST that had 18+ in every relevant defensive attribute (tackling, pace, strength, jumping, concentration, positioning etc.) so I trained him as a DM as well, by the time I was going to start playing him, he wanted to move, so he moved to Bayern Munich for a season or two, then I bought him back, had to play him at CB and he was so good he stayed there for the rest of his career, never playing as DM.

Oddly, his national team (Croatia) used him as a striker despite his world class defending. He still got a few goals due to his physical and heading attributes and I'd use him as an emergency striker during games.
(edited 9 years ago)
I am so addicted to this game :biggrin:
Original post by GnomeMage
I am so addicted to this game :biggrin:

I tend to get addicted for 2 weeks then not play for 3 months, then get addicted again...

Quick Reply

Latest