The Student Room Group

Not to keen going on holiday with parents, prefer boyfriend

My parents are planning a holiday in the very near future. I'm stayig home only for this summer, but I get to spend all day with them because they work from home. I don't get to see my bf all that often because he lives in another city. I don't particularly like spending time with my family to be honest, because we quarrel a lot, especially when we're on holiday, being stuck in one room/car 24/7 and all that. And as I said, I'm with them all day long every single day. I literally have a few more days with my bf left before I go away. And, lets be honest, spending time with your boyfriend is always more fun than with family (especially with all the quarrels/tension going on with us).
Now they're asking me, in a very intimidating way "So do you have the intention to spend this holiday with our family?". What am I supposed to say to that? I'll hurt their feeling if I saw No, but yet again I just know I'll regret going. I feel they're getting a bit jealous of my bf.
I'm 20 by the way.
Anyone been in a similar situation?? What should I do?
Reply 1
No chance to get your boyfriend to come along? May as well try and get best of both worlds though otherwise you will have to make a choice. Would be a better way of trying to get your boyfriend on better terms with your parents.
If I were you, I'd just go on the holiday. I know that while it would be more fun to stay with your boyfriend, if you're anything like me, you'd feel so bad for letting your parents down and they may hold it against you and be hurt and I've always liked to avoid those situations. But that's just me...

But as the above poster said, are you able to bring your boyfriend along and maybe they can get to know him more and may get less jealous?
Reply 3
Original post by For The Love Of Giraffe
If I were you, I'd just go on the holiday. I know that while it would be more fun to stay with your boyfriend, if you're anything like me, you'd feel so bad for letting your parents down and they may hold it against you and be hurt and I've always liked to avoid those situations. But that's just me...

But as the above poster said, are you able to bring your boyfriend along and maybe they can get to know him more and may get less jealous?

We've already been on holiday with him this summer (mum,dad + me and bf), but they want us to be just family this time from what I understand. It's just a bit awkward and tense when it's the four of us.
Original post by Anonymous
We've already been on holiday with him this summer (mum,dad + me and bf), but they want us to be just family this time from what I understand. It's just a bit awkward and tense when it's the four of us.

Okay, fair enough, so I guess you just have to decide whether or not it will be worth not going... Do you think your parents will be really offended or not and be quite hurt? If so, maybe you just have to suck it up and go... It may suck to have to be the one to give in but it depends on whether you want to put up with your parents guilting you if you don't go (which my parents do, although yours may be more reasonable). After all you can see your boyfriend some time else in the future.

Otherwise do what you really want to and enjoy yourself with your boyfriend - nothing wrong with that and as you spend so much time with your family, maybe they will understand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending