The Student Room Group

Potential new UK student :) from Australia

Hey guys! I'm ever so possibly comin for exchange from Australia !!!
Just so confused about which uni I should apply for in terms of the 'whole package' my choices are Liverpool, Lancaster, Sheffield, Nottingham, and Reading.

What do you guys think??

Scroll to see replies

Out of your choices I would pick Nottingham based on the breath taking campus alone! Sheffield is nice too. What subject are you studying?
Reply 2
Original post by littlecreatures
Out of your choices I would pick Nottingham based on the breath taking campus alone! Sheffield is nice too. What subject are you studying?

Well I pretty much have electives so I can take subjects from any field, which makes it harder! I was thinkin of prob doing 2 or 3 management subjects and then perhaps a psych subject or something.
Places for all those have been taken up so now I'm looking between Liverpool and Lancaster -.-
Reply 3
Lancaster's Management School is awesome!

EDIT: Can you tell I'm applying there for 2013 entry? ;D
Reply 4
Original post by eimmas
Lancaster's Management School is awesome!

EDIT: Can you tell I'm applying there for 2013 entry? ;D

That's what I've been hearing from everyone! I guess right now I'm confused between whether Liverpool or Lancaster will provide me the 'whole package' in terms of a uni experience in the UK since I'll only be there for 6 months. Any ideas?
Reply 5
Sheffield!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I'd personally choose Nottingham or Sheffield.
Reply 7
Original post by Yvette.T
Sheffield!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Original post by charlie9872
I'd personally choose Nottingham or
Sheffield.

Those options not available to me anymore! Between Lancaster & Liverpool??
Reply 8
Liverpool. Lancaster is way too small for you to get the student experience you seem to want.
Original post by s.grewal
Those options not available to me anymore! Between Lancaster & Liverpool??

Lancasters the better University in terms of rankings, Liverpool will be far better in terms of student experience - its a fantastic city, not to mention its also a Russell group uni which is an advantage. Personally, i'd choose Liverpool.

Edit: I see you're coming in as an exchange student, by that do you mean coming over here for a year and whilst at a Australian uni? If thats the case then defiantly go for Liverpool.
(edited 11 years ago)
Nottingham and Sheffield are the stronger choices, especially when considering international rankings. Both uni's are in cities that are supposedly great for a uni lifestyle/experience, you couldn't go wrong with either of them. Reading is not in the same league in terms of prestige, though it is popular and has a good Law department, so I have read/heard.

I don't know enough about Lancaster to comment, but with Liverpool, the facts don't lie, and it has had the biggest drop in applicants this year out of all the Russell Group uni's. At the same time, Nottingham is the most applied to uni in the country, with 55,000 applicants for 5000 paces.
Reply 11
That's what I've been hearing from everyone! I guess right now I'm confused between whether Liverpool or Lancaster will provide me the 'whole package' in terms of a uni experience in the UK since I'll only be there for 6 months. Any ideas?

In terms of a student experience I guess it's very relative to the idea you get what you put in. I personally prefer Lancaster because I love the campus, whereas Liverpool is a city university (though still easily navigatable - if that's a word). I've visited both and the only thing that really put me off applying to Liverpool was the focus on a programme they do with Chinese students for my course and how that effected the course overall.

Really, any of the Russell Group or 1994 Group universities should offer you a good student experience in terms of learning, whilst the social aspect relies more on what kind of location you'd prefer.
Reply 12
Original post by charlie9872
Lancasters the better University in terms of rankings, Liverpool will be far better in terms of student experience - its a fantastic city, not to mention its also a Russell group uni which is an advantage. Personally, i'd choose Liverpool.

Edit: I see you're coming in as an exchange student, by that do you mean coming over here for a year and whilst at a Australian uni? If thats the case then defiantly go for Liverpool.

Yeah, I'm basically going to still be enrolled at my uni but will be actually only going to the UK for 6 months, not even a full year, and those units i do in the UK count towards my degree! So I don't want to be somewhere 'wasting' time if it won't even let me have a good uni experience lol. So in terms of the whole 'package' which one would you choose? And why Liverpool??
Reply 13
Hey guys! I'm ever so possibly comin for exchange from Australia !!!
Just so confused about which uni I should apply for in terms of the 'whole package' my choices are Liverpool, Lancaster, Sheffield, Nottingham, and Reading.

What do you guys think??

Just wondering, which UK unis are most well known in Australia apart from Oxford and Cambridge?
Reply 14
Lancaster is on its own campus away from Lancaster which itself is a small city.

Liverpool, Sheffield and Nottingham are all much bigger with the university right in the middle of the city.

If you want to travel within Britain, Lancaster would be more awkward while the other 3 all have good rail and road links.

If you want to come to a uni in the north/middle of Britain, you should also consider Manchester, Leicester and Leeds. All good unis with very active student life.
Reply 15
Original post by Mierder
Just wondering, which UK unis are most well known in Australia apart from Oxford and Cambridge?

I think a lot of people know LSE, Kings college, and Leeds too.
I seriously would not recommend Liverpool.

Just because it is in the Russel Group that is no argument for its success, as League Tables are constantly showing it as a mediocre Uni.

As for Sheffield and Nottingham, they are both extremely good, high quality Universities. Sheffield has the best student's Union in the country so is brilliant for a social life. Nottingham has a beautiful campus!

As for the others, I cant comment as I dont know enough about them.
Reply 17
I think a lot of people know LSE, Kings college, and Leeds too.

what about Imperial, UCL or are they less well known than the others?
Reply 18
Original post by Mierder
what about Imperial, UCL or are they less well known than the others?

UCL not many people know about, and Imperial is a lil more known but still on the more unknown side if you know what i mean. Are you planning to try and come here or..?
Reply 19
UCL not many people know about, and Imperial is a lil more known but still on the more unknown side if you know what i mean. Are you planning to try and come here or..?

Yea to work/live for a while. Do you recommend i choose LSE over Imperial as it is more well known in australia?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending