The Student Room Group

Electronic Engineering

I currently want to take up Electronic Engineering at university however i do not do Physics as one of my A level subjects, not all universities require it for the course but would they be more reluctant to take me seeing as i dont have it ?
Yeah... :tongue:
Reply 2
You trolling ? LOL i dont think it would be an issue would it ?
If an uni doesn't require physics, that says to me that they don't get many applications (because if they were swamped with applications every year the easiest way to cut that down into a more manageable figure would be to make physics a requirement), so you should be fine as long as you have maths and some other sciencey subjects.

My friend got into University of Ulster no problem with physics, but that's hardly the most competitive uni.
Original post by jayman4
I currently want to take up Electronic Engineering at university however i do not do Physics as one of my A level subjects, not all universities require it for the course but would they be more reluctant to take me seeing as i dont have it ?

You could try applying to an FE/HE college (examples include Leeds City College or Bradford College). That is what i did for a year before moving on to the University of Leeds. However I had a C in Physics alevel (no maths). But I heard some of the students admitted had little or no experience in physics or maths, including Alevel, BTEC or even their own job.
Reply 5
Original post by Popppppy
If an uni doesn't require physics, that says to me that they don't get many applications (because if they were swamped with applications every year the easiest way to cut that down into a more manageable figure would be to make physics a requirement), so you should be fine as long as you have maths and some other sciencey subjects.

My friend got into University of Ulster no problem with physics, but that's hardly the most competitive uni.

I know Physics is a preferred subject but it usually isn't a requirement for entry into a purely Electronic degree, most universities will just require maths and a physical science.In fact I do not know any universities which insist on applicants having Physics.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by History98
I know Physics is a preferred subject but it usually isn't a requirement for entry into a purely Electronic degree, most universities will just require maths and a physical science.In fact I do not know any universities which insist on applicants having Physics.

Hmmm the unis I applied to all asked for it, but I only applied for 3. I just remember my friend saying how he was struggling to find somewhere that didn't ask for it.
Any engineering degree will strongly prefer maths and physics, i'm not trolling. I've never met anyone who aspires to do engineering who doesn't do maths and physics. If you got into a uni to do engineering without a physics A level then hats off to you, because i think it's quite rare.
Reply 8
Original post by Popppppy
Hmmm the unis I applied to all asked for it, but I only applied for 3. I just remember my friend saying how he was struggling to find somewhere that didn't ask for it.

You must have applied for Electrical & Electronic Eng degrees and not just Electronics.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
I'm probably going to apply to 3/4 unis, all in Scotland and they all mention maths and physics. Some say physics or technological studies but haven spoken to the admission tutors for EEE at all these uni's I get the impression they will prefer physics.

As mentioned above, it will depend on how competitive the courses are you're thinking of applying to.

Out of interest OP, why didn't you chose to study physics if you were interested in engineering?
Reply 10
Just wasn't a big fan of the Physics syllabus at my school but am interested in electronics and building of things etc. I emailed Leicester and they said they do not prefer applicants that have Physics so i assume that applies to all the uni's that don't ask for it too. I Do Maths, Biology and Chemistry btw. So i have maths and a Physical science

Quick Reply

Latest