The Student Room Group

What happens if you bump someone and they drive away? Is it hit and run?

Consider the following case,

A car rear ends a semi trailer. The truck driver does not get down and drives away when traffic starts moving. The trailer just got a few scuffs and the car was already damaged before the incident got additional denting.

Can the driver of the car be held responsible for stuff like hit and run if the vehicle she hit drove away?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, duh.
Original post by JulietheCat
Yeah, duh.

You mean the driver at fault can be charged with hit and run even if its the driver not at fault who drives away?
Original post by IntelligenceArtifi
You mean the driver at fault can be charged with hit and run even if its the driver not at fault who drives away?

It damaged the car and is held liable. Even if the driver couldn't see the car.
It damaged the car and is held liable. Even if the driver couldn't see the car.

I agree with that but is it specifically charged with hit and run?
I agree with that but is it specifically charged with hit and run?

Yes. It is hit and run.

But it's only official if the victim actually claimed on the incident.
Yes. It is hit and run.

But it's only official if the victim actually claimed on the incident.

Well what are you supposed to do in such a situation? I have the number of the other vehicle.
Well what are you supposed to do in such a situation? I have the number of the other vehicle.

Report it to the police. They will be able to track the vehicle down
Reply 8
Original post by amojamo
Perhaps an internet forum isn't the best place to admit this, but I drove into the back of someone and then drove off because I was gonna be late for an exam...

It WAS their fault; they suddenly stopped with no warning on a wet day, so I went wheeeee into them. I highly doubt I damaged their car; they had a big people carrier and I have a Peugeot 107 which had absolutely no damage.

I just hope you drove off before they, or anyone else, got your numberplate down!

That's still your fault for not leaving enough room to stop and you should leave more room in wet conditions.

I don't really know if it counts as a hit and run. I guess it would?
Reply 9
I can't tell if I am reading it wrong or everyone else is, the op is asking if it is hit and run if the one who got hit drives away. And the answer is no, but you will be obliged to report it and if not it could potentially be an offence depending on how it plays out later.
Reply 10
If you get hit and drive away then it's not hit and run... And yes the person who got hit should report it. And you're going to report it OP? Did you hit the car? Or you just a snitch?
The offence you are referring to is 'Failure to Stop' after an accident.
You are supposed to stop to ascertain whether emergency services are required and to provide your details to any party suffering damage.
But there is another offence of 'Failing to Report' an accident. Accidents should be reported to police if details were not exchanged for whatever reason, such as no other persons involved.
Report it to the police. They will be able to track the vehicle down

unless the vehicle was significantly damaged or there was an injury - the police will do two things - say thank you - and then forget about it, they better things toi do than chase a fender bender,

however the person involved should report it to their insurance company anyway for notification purposes only (which doesnt effect premiums)
Original post by silverbolt
unless the vehicle was significantly damaged or there was an injury - the police will do two things - say thank you - and then forget about it, they better things toi do than chase a fender bender,

however the person involved should report it to their insurance company anyway for notification purposes only (which doesnt effect premiums)

I'm the driver of the car! I want to do the right thing and I have the numberplate of the semi but will I get into trouble if I report it?:frown:
Original post by amojamo

It WAS their fault; they suddenly stopped with no warning on a wet day, so I went wheeeee into them.

That's still your fault. The only way I guess it wouldn't be is if they have a faulty brake light which fails to inform other drivers that they are slowing down? Even then I think that becomes a grey area
I'm the driver of the car! I want to do the right thing and I have the numberplate of the semi but will I get into trouble if I report it?:frown:

dont bother reporting to the police - theres no need as long as you inform your insurance company (again for notification purposes)
Original post by amojamo
Perhaps an internet forum isn't the best place to admit this, but I drove into the back of someone and then drove off because I was gonna be late for an exam...

It WAS their fault; they suddenly stopped with no warning on a wet day, so I went wheeeee into them. I highly doubt I damaged their car; they had a big people carrier and I have a Peugeot 107 which had absolutely no damage.

I just hope you drove off before they, or anyone else, got your numberplate down!

actually it will simply be argued that you should have maintained a proper distance from the car in front (4 seconds) as it was wet
Original post by amojamo

You were following too close and/or not paying attention. If a big people carrier can stop then a little 107 should be able to stop without any issue. The stopping distance for a 107 is MUCH less then that for a people carrier. Wet or not and you decide to drive off....nice one....

Youre a ****, through and through.

But back to the original post. Isnt your fault. Its a little hard to exchange details with someone who drives off ey. I wouldnt worry about it.

JulietheCat :facepalm:
They are "leaving the scene of an accident" which they were involved in which is illegal. Take the details of the reg and go to the police if it happens.

It's not hit and run I think, that applies a car-pedestrian collision.
Reply 19
Firstly, there's no such crime as "hit and run" in UK law

There's 3 different cases, all covered by Section 170 of the Road traffic act:

a) Failure to stop at accident and/or give details (name or address)
b) Failure to report accident, if they did not/could not stop/give details at the scene (e.g. they crashed into a parked car, and the owner wasn't around)
c) Failure to give insurance details (within 7 days)

There are a few caveats however.

If the crash only involves your vehicle or property, you do not need to report it.

But also, it's not just about cars: Crashing into any property you don't own needs to be reported

However, on an interesting aside, when it comes to hitting animals there's a specific list.
You have to stop with horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog, but nothing else. (Not that you can hit cats but not dogs!)

Back to the original post.

Section 170 does not take into account who caused the crash, just that the vehicle was involved in the accident therefore, even in a simple rear end smash both parties have to stop.

Furthermore, by "involved" the vehicle doesn't even need to have touched any other vehicle, just that it was a part of the incident (so you cutting someone up, causing them to break and loose control would still mean you have to stop)

HOWEVER

All of that comes with the caveat that the driver was aware of the accident, or at least reasonably should have been.

In the case of a car hitting the rear end of a truck, it's not unreasonable that the truck driver wouldn't have actually been aware of the accident taking place, so he has a defense for not stopping per part a) and b) of the three offenses above.

For the person who hit him, if they fail to report it they can be convicted under part b), as even though the other drive drove away the accident still should've been reported

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending