The Student Room Group

Ramblings on Edinburgh, rain & art.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
I should update properly. :tongue:

I fell asleep about 4am, and got up at 8-ish to be in early enough for my lecture. Lecture itself was good, and about museology which I love :awesome: If I do an MA I might very well do museum studies rather than anything practical...University of Leicester offer it as a distance course :cool: Not sure I can afford an MA though, for the museum studies it's £7kish for two years. :eek:

Anyway. Lecture was good. Seminar was even okay, I spoke to the person next to me and we had a little chat, which was neat. We were all supposed to have bought an object we'd put in a museum, I was probably one of the ones that put the most thought in 'cos I took my beautiful Rolleicord TLR. Which got slightly swooned over. So I chatted to this guy, Aaron about that and cameras and yeah. I had a conversation with someone. We were meant to be talking about museums, but I figured getting a conversation in there would benefit me more :tongue: And then Steve took me to my new office, although I think I might be moved into the main building eventually...it's bigger and doesn't have people walking past that much, although it is pretty much next door to the lecture theatre we use. It's brighter too... And I got him to show me where I needed to be for the workshops for this rotation, and where I need to be on Wednesday for the first project meeting.

So that was good. He says 'hey ho' a lot. Usually followed by 'let's go', which so far never ceases to make me smile. I'm all smokey again, which is a bit less good. I feel more able to speak to him though, instead of writing. So that means he's definitely becoming a safe person. *sighs*

I'm having shopping delivered, so I actually have food again. I mixed up paint for life drawing tomorrow, because we had to mix 5 colours. So I had to buy plastic cups and cling film so it didn't dry up. I was organised and left it in my locker so I don't have to carry it tomorrow :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 181
I was convinced my alarm was wrong, I get up at 7:10 on drawing days. I almost went back to sleep :eek: and it's pissing it down. Blehh.

So I have drawing this morning. With paint. I reminded Steve to check models again, I don't trust his memory :tongue: Aaron is my friend on Facebook now (I feel so special xD), so I shared my Dropbox folder of lecture slides with him :smile: which Steve was happy about, I sustained two written conversations at once :eek:

I slept, but from about 2/3am. Oh good there's daylight now. Oh! One of our lecturers swore at us yesterday :tongue: someone looked like they were sleeping, so it was justified swearing. Got it on my voice recorder though :ninja:

Project meeting tomorrow. Did I ever say about it? I need to ramble about art more. The brief gives several options really, but the gist of it is either something that 'claims territory' or a portrait of our likes/dislikes/personality. I don't thnk it includes actually just making things, but things like sound sculpture too. I have a sensible idea, which I'd to make things I overhear out of wire. My less sensible idea is to play with shoes - there's s pair of builder's boots just left in an office. I've been moving them to see if anyone notices. Only Steve so far I think, because he knew I was doing it :tongue: so yeah, I don't think the project is as awful as I did.

Shopping came last night. This delivery guy was very friendly and was all prepared to carry it for me, but it was only one crate & not that heavy. So now I have two crates. :eek:
Reply 182
Life drawing was alright again, we don't do life drawing anymore though. We get a new project & timetable/studio groups on Friday...in theory.

Sculpture project meeting was good, we spontaneously started doing plaster casts of stuff. Someone did their face, and some other people did their teeth :eek: The woman never told us her name though :/ We had a workshop in the afternoon, some guy showing us all the violent/dangerous looking things in the metal workshop. Seriously, if you want to scare the crap out of me demonstrate a drill that makes far too much noise and sprays sparks frickin' everywhere! :tongue:

Less good was the fact that I managed to drop my iPad :colondollar: So the screen is totally cracked. So I'm having to pay several hundred pounds to get it replaced/fixed, Apple are gonna send me a box and then I have to send it back and then I should get one back. Their website is a complete pain in the ass though. :angry: I was trying to put stuff in my locker, and my hands decided to fail. So iPad said hello to the very hard floor. Frustrating because I take that in most days instead of a laptop so I can do research/write blogs and so on... Laptop (thin as it is) is still heavy to carry round all day! Ah well. I'm hoping one of the several different insurance things I have will cover at least some of it.

I'm ahead of everyone for the sculpture project. I've done work, no one else has. I feel like a total dork :tongue:
Reply 183
Crappy morning.

No idea what to do about Amanda Palmer gig. It's a week today. ****.
Reply 184
But better afternoon :biggrin:

I managed to speak about my work to a total of four other people :tongue: Three students and a tutor. I'm quite pleased with myself :cool: Never done that before :biggrin:
Reply 185
Oh my, even better news. :biggrin: My A2 photography got remarked, it was a fairly decent A. Which I was happy with, but my tutors were a little pissed I didn't get an A*. And my parents. So yeah, everyone got remarked 'cos our examiner was a bitch. Aaaaand I got 120/120 for my coursework and 80/80 for my exam project :awesome: 100% bitches.
Reply 186
I'm not very coherent at the moment. But I've managed to do things that are anxiety-inducing. Like ringing up UPS to get them to come pick up my iPad (the box came today for to send it in, I was planning on going to the post office...). So that was good. Although spending ten minutes psyching myself up to even typing the number in is less impressive. It's meant to be picked up on Monday between 12 & 7pm, but I'm in a seminar until a bit after 1, so earliest I'll be back is 1:20 or so...but I said that so the driver should know. :tongue: Hopefully it'll be in the afternoon, or I can escape the seminar a bit early.

I have new drawing projects, I'm with Steve for the next two Tuesdays but we get to see all the projects. Which is neat. His sounds alright... I couldn't resist telling him I spoke in a tutorial, he was impressed. :biggrin: I didn't really do much yesterday...I was in studio in the morning and then the afternoon I was reading in the library and looking for a lazy susan in a charity shop (I made a very ****ty one out of card, a pencil and a beer bottle - I'm going to display the wire squiggly things I'm making on it, it needs to spin!). So that was fun.

My mum has sent me gingerbread camera cookies, the post guy came and knocked on my door this morning. So I had to get out of bed, I have no idea who he was (could have been anyone) because I didn't have my glasses on :tongue: And the security guy now recognises me I get so many parcels! I was supposed to be trying to start my visual culture essay, so I came to the library. But I've only managed to get distracted so far. :eek:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 187
I don't seem to have any concept of time anymore. I have look up what day it is too often. It's nothing too unusual, because if I'm doing something I lose track of time. But this is continuous. It's alright if I'm making something because I have something to show for it! Like just now, I started make paper mould type things of very small bits of wire about 9-ish then did some sketchbook stuff and it's suddenly 11. It's worse when I have no memory of what I was doing for hours on end! A lot of my time here is a total blur, which'd be understandable if I'd been constantly drunk or really really busy. But I've not been.

I've noticed I've been blanking perfectly normal, happy, safe stuff for a while though. I have very little memory of my AS year and I've lost of a lot of A2. I don't really have...memories of it, just little snippets of image or audio, mostly just a feeling that something happened. It's always seen like I'm someone else too, like I'm someone watching me. I'm doing a good job of making myself sound crazy :tongue: Maybe it's 'cos I spend so much of the time not feeling (because feeling is scary, and I'm not sure I can do genuine feeling anymore). A lot of the time I feel what I think I should feel. Books can still make me feel, and making things. Not a lot else. I just kind of...exist. With just an internal monologue of what I should be feeling, a running commentary on pretty much everything and total melt down when I get anxious. I go off on tangents too easily. :tongue: Kinda related, but I find it really hard - impossible I guess - to imagine how anyone else thinks or experiences the world. I'd love to just be sat in someone's mind for a day to see what it's like...

I still have no ideas for the drawing project. It's asking me to think about drawing in ways I've never done before. :eek:
Reply 188
Good things have happened :awesome:

I'm taking Aaron to the Amanda Palmer gig on Thursday. Not in a date kinda way, but in a OH MY GOD YOU'RE HUMAN, COME WTIH ME way. We met up on Monday to sort that out, I've paid for train tickets & a bus home. So that's good :smile:

I've been doing so much stuff today. There's still so much stuff to do today. Tutors were striking, I had an interesting set of emails with Steve yesterday about socks, he wore polka dot socks especially for me today. I was impressed. No one else really came in to do any work, so I had a whole studio to myself. :colone: It's been ridiculously misty. And I'm all happy and yeah.

I just bought plane tickets home, which I'm less happy about. Don't wanna go home for a month. -__-
Reply 189
I think it's picture time :biggrin:

I did this yesterday, which was a lot of fun. :smile: Some guy walked past and called it beautiful! It says 'think through making', because that was the first thing that came into my head...

8116782797_ddd1365aa4_z.jpg
8116959589_958081d2cd_z.jpg

I've been making quotes out of wire for the sculpture project, this says 'I wish I had tits'. I collect things I hear people say. :smile:

8093900312_b5f6cf48ae_m.jpg

Think that'll do for now, I need to get ready to go.
Reply 190
OH MY.

Amazingness has happened.

Aaron & I gig'ed, I'm home safe and sound and drinking whisky to celebrate how ****in' awesome it was. Too frazzled to write much else...I'm gonna be in studio for 9:30. Tempting to just stay awake :eek:
Reply 191
I did sleep a bit, and I was in at 9:15 yesterday. Wouldn't want to ruin my reputation for earliness. A lot has happened :eek:

Thursday I spoke a lot more in a group crit - it was Dan (who's photography), Zack from the voyage project and someone else. I don't know, it was just kinda safe I guess. I even commented a bit on other people's work :biggrin: after that I went & had coffee with Dan, we were walking in the same direction. :tongue: that was pretty neat. I kinda got his life story though. He's 20 :eek:

I got to the station nice & early, Aaron was on time & we got on the right train :cool: wasn't as awkward as it could have been... He reminds me a lot of my ex. -_- how do I attract these people?! :tongue: I survived the subway, I've always been terrified of the tube/NY subway so that was just awesome. Maybe helped it was really empty. And I'm taller than the trains! Eventually found the right building, it was uni of Glasgow and their campus is crazy. Why are there no maps! My phone took us the interesting way, ended up climbing up a grassy bank thing.

Amanda Palmer was amazing though :awesome: I sang & did my dad dancing, because that's the only way I can dance. Can't wait for March! Played a lot of my favourites, some older Dresden Dolls stuff. There was a really amazing bit that made me want to actually cry. She'd got people to write bad/sad things & read them all out. So much rape, sexual abuse, self harm. All these things that make you feel so isolated, but standing in that crowd listening to all these awful things...I didn't feel alone. She sang two songs about rape, a line from one stuck with me more than it ever has before. "And it wasn't my fault that the barbarian raped me." Hearing that live makes it easier to take in.

It finished half an hour earlier than I'd expected, so we got the subway back to the train station & bought tickets for the last train home. So that was good, I did have tickets for a bus home. Train is better. :smile: we went the wrong way on the subway, so lucky it's a circle! No taxis at the station & Aaron had already insisted on walking me home. I was home 1-ish, there was an awkward hug which I tried to avoid. And then I didn't go to bed until 3 because I was so excited :tongue: so I went through yesterday on 3 hours sleep and it was actually the perkiest I've been for a while.

Yesterday was the final sculpture crit. Which was also okay! I spoke about my stuff to 13 people :eek: never done that before. It wasn't too bad. And Zack asked to keep his wire quote, so I gave it to him. Our tutor said we should do a project together, seeing as we both did projects about listening. :tongue: I've been slowly adding people on Facebook, Zack has pictures of me :eek: not especially flattering some of them xD

Having thought this week would be awful, it's actually been awesome :awesome:
Reply 192
Genuinely just spent an hour or so videoing myself making tea...things I do for art school :tongue: We have our new intermedia project, which is all video and actually okay. Possibly my favourite so far, photography is now below sculpture in terms of enjoyment. Because doing daft things in studios is always fun intermedia gets to be my favourite so far. :tongue: Which would make switching seem like a good idea. I don't know.

I might meet someone I haven't seen for YEARS for coffee this afternoon. She's in a band with my dad's brother, well she's in several bands...I think one of the other bands was doing a gig up here so she's here for the weekend. If she's near ECA I might see her :smile:
Reply 193
I get the prize for incredible stupidity.

I just tried to charge a normal battery. It popped, and started leaking everywhere. Which I noticed quite quickly, luckily. So it's been bagged up and taken outside. Absolutely scared the crap out of me, still freaking out about that.

Complete idiocy.

Better things...otherwise I'll just continue freaking out...I tried to do another video in the studio today, but Steve gave me a camera that couldn't plug into my laptop & it took tapes. So the video of me washing my hair in the studio is inaccessible unless he comes up with some miraculous solution.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 194
Loving my two hours sleep. My uncle & youngest cousins live in Brooklyn. I hope they're okay. My grandparents are middle of nowhere Maryland.
Reply 195
American bits of family all survived the hurricane-ness. Phew.

Drawing project today was amazing :awesome: Although three different people said I looked possessed, but on the plus side I got called Mrs experimentation woman :tongue: I spoke to many people, and Steve said some incredibly, genuinely, awesomely, lovely things about the stuff I'd done. I have a video of me washing my hair, which Steve kindly oversaw. I've made it all sped up and added in some extra bits so it's a minute long again. Someone needed a kettle - and I HAD ONE. How prepared am I?! :tongue:

Nah. It's been good. I'm happy as a happy thing doing a happy dance.
Reply 196
What the actual ****.

I'm uploading all of my intermedia stuff onto youtube. The video of me washing my hair is at over 100 views in a matter of days, the rest are like...one or two. :tongue: Turns out there's quite a lot of people with a shampoo/hair washing fetish. WHY.

I've looked it up. I'm not sure if I should be flattered or not :tongue:
Reply 197
Original post by twinlensreflex
What the actual ****.

I'm uploading all of my intermedia stuff onto youtube. The video of me washing my hair is at over 100 views in a matter of days, the rest are like...one or two. :tongue: Turns out there's quite a lot of people with a shampoo/hair washing fetish. WHY.

I've looked it up. I'm not sure if I should be flattered or not :tongue:

How can we find it on youtube? I would love to take a look at it :smile:
Reply 198
Original post by AnnB
How can we find it on youtube? I would love to take a look at it :smile:

Hair fetish? :sexface:

http://www.youtube.com/user/troutheartreplica?feature=mhee
Reply 199
I've been doing a lot, being busy is good. It means I can't think if I'm busy. But I've been so busy I'm constantly exhausted and forgetting to actually eat anything. I'm going to spend tomorrow doing not a lot, possibly staying in bed :tongue: I need to do some stuff for the seminar on monday, but that shouldn't take too long.

My intermedia project is coming along well, it's involved filming myself pretending to sleep on the floor. I wore my pjs in yesterday, Steve gave me a very odd look 'cos I was reading in 'bed'. I lured him into frame, so I have a video of a little bedside tutorial, which was quite surreal. Things are happening, which is good...

I still haven't started writing the ****in' essay. It's the art school lecture on Monday, so I start on monday.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending