The Student Room Group

Can someone give me any advice on what to do this year please? Need help ASAP

So last month I deferred an Electronic Engineering with a foundation year. My reasons were so I could go travelling this year.

My parents are not supportive of this move. They think if I am going to take a year out I should stay here and go to do A-level maths/physics or both in the year I am taking out. This would lighten the load I would be subject to over the foundation year.

I also have a place to study English at a university that has been put on hold (I switched courses and now I've got them to postpone my study for a year.

My choices:

Stay here, go to college and pay about £1000 on Maths (which I would struggle with at the start because I've not studied maths in 5years+. The foundation breaks me in a little gentler than jumping straight into a AS-level at college.

If I don't think I can cope then just forget the EE course and finish my English degree which I don't really want to do.

or

Go travelling and come back summer 2013 and get stuck into maths for an intense 2-3 months of study. This will mean that I cannot return to my English degree so if I fail the foundation year or any following year of my degree, university education is no longer on the cards for me (mostly because I wouldn't get full funding after 2years of SF funding)

or

See if I can reverse my deferral and go this year to university.

I wanted just to gap year it and travel, the sole reason for taking the deferred entry. But my parents are 100% against that saying it is a waste of a year. Though I am 22 so it is my choice and mine alone. But maybe they have a point? I don't see it as a waste because I'd be travelling across the world, but maybe I should be focusing on my maths or physics if not both?

Any advice anyone?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Going to do an engineering degree without any background of higher level maths or physics is a risky move, even with a foundation year you'll find the step up huge and tricky. I'd back your parents up and suggest anything that'll make the uni maths that bit more bearable is advantageous.

And I say that from having done Aero Eng with a Foundation year after scraping a mediocre A2 grade in maths.
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
Going to do an engineering degree without any background of higher level maths or physics is a risky move, even with a foundation year you'll find the step up huge and tricky. I'd back your parents up and suggest anything that'll make the uni maths that bit more bearable is advantageous.

And I say that from having done Aero Eng with a Foundation year after scraping a mediocre A2 grade in maths.

What was your A-level maths grade?

What would be my best option then? I will be way out of my depth if I decide to join an AS-level class now. For one the class has already started, even if I can get in I will struggle because of the GCSE to AS-level gap.

What about sitting GCSE maths and Additional Maths or is that a dud move?
Reply 3
Original post by bestofyou
What was your A-level maths grade?

What would be my best option then? I will be way out of my depth if I decide to join an AS-level class now. For one the class has already started, even if I can get in I will struggle because of the GCSE to AS-level gap.

What about sitting GCSE maths and Additional Maths or is that a dud move?

I just managed a B.

And to be brutally honest, and I know this will sound harsh, but if your maths is that lacking I can't see you doing an engineering course. The work is 90% mathematical and the jumps it takes are massive. If the stuff you do at A level is Pure 1-3, then the work you do in first year alone [or at least, I did] takes that up to a level equivalent to Pure 5/6...

What's made you want to Engineering?
you could self teach a level maths in two months full time

buy engineering mathematics by ka stroud, and try work edexcel up to fp3, so you can assess progress,

you can learn gcse maths in 2 weeks to a month of full time study,

use mymaths, and work through it, its very very easy, just get to grips with trignometry and other higher level stuff

cant believe i spent two years doing it lol, although i guess we did 11 gcse back then so fair enough

as maths is very easy, its pretty much memory, same with c3 and c4 i guess lol
Reply 5
Isn't the Foundation year meant for people with weak scientific backgrounds? Why do you need to do all that reading if you going to start with a foundation year anyway?
Reply 6
Original post by Drewski
I just managed a B.

And to be brutally honest, and I know this will sound harsh, but if your maths is that lacking I can't see you doing an engineering course. The work is 90% mathematical and the jumps it takes are massive. If the stuff you do at A level is Pure 1-3, then the work you do in first year alone [or at least, I did] takes that up to a level equivalent to Pure 5/6...

What's made you want to Engineering?

When I was at school I wanted to do Civil/Structural engineering however my behaviour took a turn for the worse once I began my GCSEs and barely attended school. I decided I would just leave school at 16 not caring if I had any GCSEs or not. As a result I wasn't allowed to do the higher tier papers despite my head of year trying to convince me to do them and just put the work in (wish I has listened). I passed them all without even revising. So when the recession hit I was forced to leave my apprenticeship path and go back to school, however with Cs in the sciences I couldn't do science A-levels. Therefore settled for the humanities. After a year of English I feel I should be on a science based degree. So back tracked to my engineering career path but decided not to opt for civil due to the unpredictability of the construction industry which has previously let me down. Sorry for the life story but had to tell it in order for you to understand why I hadn't previously tried for engineering but am trying now.

I've looked at the foundation year lay out. Seems to be first 8weeks goes from early secondary school to slightly above GCSE, with the spring term and summer term (both 10weeks) building on that, so AS-A2-level in 20weeks. With 10hrs a week of lectures/tutorials in maths and the same again in physics. Then I would plan on another 20hrs in total of self-teaching outside the classroom. So I am certainly aware it will be hard work. Do you think that it will still be a near impossible task with that level of commitment?

Original post by History98
Isn't the Foundation year meant for people with weak scientific backgrounds? Why do you need to do all that reading if you going to start with a foundation year anyway?

Yes it is. It can be for people who studied only one of maths/physics or neither. I have had mixed responses on here before. Some saying it is fine because the GCSE-A-level gap is a similar size jump to ones you would make in later years of the course. Others say that without at least one of maths/physics that the foundation year will be too hard for people like me who have neither
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
When I was at school I wanted to do Civil/Structural engineering however my behaviour took a turn for the worse once I began my GCSEs and barely attended school. I decided I would just leave school at 16 not caring if I had any GCSEs or not. As a result I wasn't allowed to do the higher tier papers despite my head of year trying to convince me to do them and just put the work in (wish I has listened). I passed them all without even revising. So when the recession hit I was forced to leave my apprenticeship path and go back to school, however with Cs in the sciences I couldn't do science A-levels. Therefore settled for the humanities. After a year of English I feel I should be on a science based degree. So back tracked to my engineering career path but decided not to opt for civil due to the unpredictability of the construction industry which has previously let me down. Sorry for the life story but had to tell it in order for you to understand why I hadn't previously tried for engineering but am trying now.

I've looked at the foundation year lay out. Seems to be first 8weeks goes from early secondary school to slightly above GCSE, with the spring term and summer term (both 10weeks) building on that, so AS-A2-level in 20weeks. With 10hrs a week of lectures/tutorials in maths and the same again in physics. Then I would plan on another 20hrs in total of self-teaching outside the classroom. So I am certainly aware it will be hard work. Do you think that it will still be a near impossible task with that level of commitment?

Aha, in that case then yeah, give it a go, but know you need to put the leg work in.

From the earlier posts it read more like you didn't really have/weren't sure if you had the mathematical aptitude, since that doesn't seem to be the case and you know the step up is going to be tough, then there's no reason why not to dive in. Sack off the English, get cracking on the engineering. I back up the earlier shout about the Engineering Mathematics book by Stroud, that was our bible for the first few semesters. Get that and an As/A2 revision book and start working your way through it.
Reply 8
Original post by Drewski
Aha, in that case then yeah, give it a go, but know you need to put the leg work in.

From the earlier posts it read more like you didn't really have/weren't sure if you had the mathematical aptitude, since that doesn't seem to be the case and you know the step up is going to be tough, then there's no reason why not to dive in. Sack off the English, get cracking on the engineering. I back up the earlier shout about the Engineering Mathematics book by Stroud, that was our bible for the first few semesters. Get that and an As/A2 revision book and start working your way through it.

Well it isn't so much that I am unsure if I have a mathematical aptitude. It is just sometimes when people are telling me how hard it is going to be etc that I begin to doubt it. The sole reason being, that I only did the foundation tier therefore I have no solid source of measurement. Had I done the higher tier and got an A I wouldn't even be hear making this thread as I'd have that peace of mind. I hear all the horror stories of how people get A* at GCSE and then a D or lower in A-level maths or how good A-level maths students would have done add-maths GCSE (which I never did) these sort of things make me feel I haven't got the mind for it because I only have a grade C. But not only do I only have a C, it was the highest grade I could get. At least if I got a C with higher tier I would likely be content knowing maths isn't for me. I mean I only scraped a C in English and never even did English lit GCSE but I was able to do it at university and even got a 2:1 this year but then I wonder if maths would have been the same and the horror stories creep it again.

Looking over the higher tier content, it doesn't seem all that much harder than the stuff I did and with some proper study I am confident I could have got an A/A* but then I worry that if I did get the grades needed for A-level, would I have been the subject to one of those riches to rags GCSE mathematics student horror stories. Then the fact the foundation year does 2years of study in 2 semesters just catapults these stories to the front of my mind. Which results in panic and threads such as this.

As for the book,

I picked it up today in waterstones...as you know, not something that will fit inside my rucksack/laptop bag easily with everything else I need. Do you think I'd be better off just staying here and scraping the travel plans?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9

Yes it is. It can be for people who studied only one of maths/physics or neither. I have had mixed responses on here before. Some saying it is fine because the GCSE-A-level gap is a similar size jump to ones you would make in later years of the course. Others say that without at least one of maths/physics that the foundation year will be too hard for people like me who have neither

If there was no way you could succeed in the course then they would have not accepted you in the first place.
Reply 10
Well it isn't so much that I am unsure if I have a mathematical aptitude. It is just sometimes when people are telling me how hard it is going to be etc that I begin to doubt it. The sole reason being, that I only did the foundation tier therefore I have no solid source of measurement. Had I done the higher tier and got an A I wouldn't even be hear making this thread as I'd have that peace of mind. I hear all the horror stories of how people get A* at GCSE and then a D or lower in A-level maths or how good A-level maths students would have done add-maths GCSE (which I never did) these sort of things make me feel I haven't got the mind for it because I only have a grade C. But not only do I only have a C, it was the highest grade I could get. At least if I got a C with higher tier I would likely be content knowing maths isn't for me. I mean I only scraped a C in English and never even did English lit GCSE but I was able to do it at university and even got a 2:1 this year but then I wonder if maths would have been the same and the horror stories creep it again.

Looking over the higher tier content, it doesn't seem all that much harder than the stuff I did and with some proper study I am confident I could have got an A/A* but then I worry that if I did get the grades needed for A-level, would I have been the subject to one of those riches to rags GCSE mathematics student horror stories. Then the fact the foundation year does 2years of study in 2 semesters just catapults these stories to the front of my mind. Which results in panic and threads such as this.

As for the book,

I picked it up today in waterstones...as you know, not something that will fit inside my rucksack/laptop bag easily with everything else I need. Do you think I'd be better off just staying here and scraping the travel plans?

Well, I got an A at GCSE [didn't try], there was no additional maths to consider, and barely got by at A level. Certainly was nowhere near Futher Maths, and that lead to me struggling at uni. But I'll freely admit that's because I didn't work. If you can keep up with the speed of the course [and remember engineering will be ~30hrs a week if not more] then there's no reason why it can't work out.

The travelling would be good as a clear the head tactic, and to prepare you for something new. Do you have to go away for the whole year though? Spend 3/4 months on a beach somewhere then come back and crack on with the maths work. Or vice versa, work on the maths for a couple of months, give yourself a head start, but then go away so you don't end up number blind from staring at formulae for the next 4yrs.
Reply 11
Original post by Drewski
Well, I got an A at GCSE [didn't try], there was no additional maths to consider, and barely got by at A level. Certainly was nowhere near Futher Maths, and that lead to me struggling at uni. But I'll freely admit that's because I didn't work. If you can keep up with the speed of the course [and remember engineering will be ~30hrs a week if not more] then there's no reason why it can't work out.

The travelling would be good as a clear the head tactic, and to prepare you for something new. Do you have to go away for the whole year though? Spend 3/4 months on a beach somewhere then come back and crack on with the maths work. Or vice versa, work on the maths for a couple of months, give yourself a head start, but then go away so you don't end up number blind from staring at formulae for the next 4yrs.

Did they cover further maths a-level in your foundation year? What uni btw?

yeah I think that is probably my best bet. As far as I know it is too late to enrol at college so self-teaching is my best bet, probably better for me anyway as that is what I'll be doing next year. So I think I'll study for the next month and a half, take off and come back spring and start studying again. Maybe even enter for GCSE maths/add-maths in summer or AS-level even. Then take off again. Thanks for the advice.
Reply 12
Did they cover further maths a-level in your foundation year? What uni btw?

yeah I think that is probably my best bet. As far as I know it is too late to enrol at college so self-teaching is my best bet, probably better for me anyway as that is what I'll be doing next year. So I think I'll study for the next month and a half, take off and come back spring and start studying again. Maybe even enter for GCSE maths/add-maths in summer or AS-level even. Then take off again. Thanks for the advice.

I don't know what the syllabus for F.Maths was then or is now, but I assume it did, the foundation yr maths ('Engineering Methodology') started just below AS maths and then went beyond it about halfway through the second semester, was all done at quite a rapid pace.
And this was Uni of Salford, though my mate's course notes from the same course at Man Uni were identical.
Reply 13
Original post by Drewski
I don't know what the syllabus for F.Maths was then or is now, but I assume it did, the foundation yr maths ('Engineering Methodology') started just below AS maths and then went beyond it about halfway through the second semester, was all done at quite a rapid pace.
And this was Uni of Salford, though my mate's course notes from the same course at Man Uni were identical.

fair enough. I'll assume that my uni won't be playing around below and at GCSE level for the vast majority of first semester as the prospectus implies.

They've told me I need to get at least 60% in my maths and physics modules in the summer term (50% in first semester's exams). Were your pass boundaries around the same?
Reply 14
fair enough. I'll assume that my uni won't be playing around below and at GCSE level for the vast majority of first semester as the prospectus implies.

They've told me I need to get at least 60% in my maths and physics modules in the summer term (50% in first semester's exams). Were your pass boundaries around the same?

God no, don't see how that would be feasible, staying at that level for so long, it's a big jump from there to the stuff you'll use the rest of the time.

Kinda similar, we had to get 60% as an average across the whole year [with at least 50% in each module] to get onto the course 'proper'.
Reply 15

i would do maths at least if you have AS and A2 done before starting the foundation year you will be in a good position xD :P
Reply 16
Original post by a10
i would do maths at least if you have AS and A2 done before starting the foundation year you will be in a good position xD :P

Thanks. Think I'll split my year into travel and study so I'll maybe just go for the AS-level.

Original post by History98
If there was no way you could succeed in the course then they would have not accepted you in the first place.

I did get rejected from two universities that were asking for B grades in GCSE sciences though. But I suppose you do have a point
Reply 17
you aint getting younger why do you need a gap year

if i were you i would just do the foundation course
Reply 18
Original post by sucess
you aint getting younger why do you need a gap year

if i were you i would just do the foundation course

bitten by the travel bug a while ago

Once I start my degree my next stop will be full-time employment. So whether that is at home or abroad I'll be in my mid-20's no matter what. This is my last chance to get some lengthy travel time in. Plus I was in uni last year, I don't fancy 6 straight years of university.

Age isn't a major issue for me. The way I see it, I'll be working until I am 70. So even if I started work as late as 30, I'll have 40years of work.

Is age the only reason why you suggest the foundation now?
Reply 19
bitten by the travel bug a while ago

Once I start my degree my next stop will be full-time employment. So whether that is at home or abroad I'll be in my mid-20's no matter what. This is my last chance to get some lengthy travel time in. Plus I was in uni last year, I don't fancy 6 straight years of university.

Age isn't a major issue for me. The way I see it, I'll be working until I am 70. So even if I started work as late as 30, I'll have 40years of work.

Is age the only reason why you suggest the foundation now?

no it seems like you are scared of doing it

maybe just try for a few weeks and see how it goes

Quick Reply

Latest