The Student Room Group

When did you start driving when you passed your driving test???

Scroll to see replies

Passed on 11th July, bought and drove car on 11th August.
Original post by ********
Yeah, I've got a feeling that I may go a bit rusty with my driving :/, but I doubt that I'd forget how to drive though.

After passing your test, how did you feel when you started driving alone? It must have been quite scarey, right???

Absolutely ****ing terrified, I passed in November so it was dark and my Dad live's about 3 miles away some of which is country roads. I prefer driving in the dark now as headlights and stuff let you see other cars coming long before you can actually see them but it wasn't great for a first drive, I was shaking lol. When my Dad got in the car I settled down a bit though, the motorway was easy and really isn't a big deal, just check your blind spots when changing lane. The next morning I was much better, still a bit anxious but settled down within 10 minutes.
Reply 22
Do you think people forget how to drive or become rusty when they go to uni?
I'm starting uni this month and I'll be back home at Christmas time, so even if I did have a car right now, I wouldn't be driving for about 3 months.
Straight away (2 days after when I got insurance). Been driving at least a couple times a week for the past 10 months too (passed in november).
Passed in March and haven't driven since.

I'm starting uni this month and I'll be back home at Christmas time, so even if I did have a car right now, I wouldn't be driving for about 3 months.

I doubt it, when I did pass my test I hadn't driven in the 6 months leading up to it anyway :tongue:
Reply 25
I agree you don't really forget, but can get a little rusty. I had 6 years off between driving tests, it took just a couple of lessons to get right back into it the second time around.

When I passed I already had a car so I started driving immediately.

Since starting uni in September 2010 I have only driven maybe 3 times for a couple of days when I've been visiting my mum.
The actual driving I feel is like riding a bike, you don't forget, the bit that you get a bit rusty on is using the roads, roundabouts, junctions, other road users etc.
In June I drove for the first time in well over a year and just jumped straight in and decided to drive down the dual carriageway and motorway into Belfast. It was a really stupid idea haha, I was freaking out.
Reply 27
Started lessons Feb '11, passed May '11, on the road the next day and have been, with my fair share of drama, to the present. Love it. :smile:
Reply 28
Passed July last year and bought a car in September that year too. Driving is liking riding a bike... you really can't forget. You might get a little rusty but after 10 minutes of driving you'll be fine.
I first drove about 3weeks after passing my test. Mainly because it took me that long after passing to get a car etc.
A couple of months. I wasn't really looking for a car, then a family member offered to give me their old one free of charge, wasn't going to say no.
Reply 31
Original post by dothestrand
A couple of months. I wasn't really looking for a car, then a family member offered to give me their old one free of charge, wasn't going to say no.

Haha. Exactly! When you get a free car coming it's silly to refuse it.
Reply 32
Not driven since I passed 18 months ago... Maybe there is hope 4 when I get a job.
Original post by h4mza
Passed 10 months ago, haven't driven since :frown:
Insurance is too damn high :frown:

Passed 18 months ago, no car yet, been driving my dads car daily since (cars insured, but im not lol), until my insurance gets cheaper ofcourse .. :thumbsup:

Hoping to get a car this/next week and get insured finally! Could have been insured months ago if Co-Op didnt double enit hamza!
Reply 34
Passed in Sept 2011, started driving in Apr 2012
Reply 35
I passed 2 and a half years ago and haven't properly driven since. I did pass plus and an odd few lessons but no proper driving. It's not a problem - I can still do it but i stall every now and then, but who doesn't?

I'm getting put on insurance for a Picasso in November (20 year old driving that thing.... I reckon the police will have a field day with me thinking i'm not insured on it!).
(edited 11 years ago)
Passed in February 2012 and started driving in August 2012. It took me a drive or two to get my confidence back, as I was in a new car and a new city, but now it is all natural again. :smile:
Reply 37
Passed Monday morning, started driving Monday night.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I drove back from the test centre via the motorway (Shrewsbury to Stafford) and then drove to Beverley in Yorkshire the following day to start an HGV course.

It is best to get as much driving in as you can as soon as you pass your test.
About 7 month. And although it's not as long as some people, I went from driving a brand new car to an old car who's technology is from the early 70's. Meant getting used to no synchro in 1st, no brakes, a clutch that's so tough my left leg now rivals Arnold Schwarzenegger's and headlights so useless that you could see more of the road if you were blindfolded.

Haha, tad of an exaggeration but it's easy once you get used to it :wink: I was scared when I first drove again, but probably because I paid for my car, fixing it, MOT, tax and insurance so a lot of money was at stake if I messed up. For a little bit my dad sat in the passenger seat in case I needed help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending