The Student Room Group

Request to see my reference

Hello..

My teacher has submitted his reference for me to UCAS but he refuses to let me see the content. I've been told my reference will not be fantastic (as some teachers have given the feedback of my poor attitude in tutorials) so I want to be sure that it really isn't that bad..

I know there is this Subject Access Request thingy that would allow me to see what he has written. May I know how do I go about doing it? Will my referee find out? Thank you :smile:
Original post by faithopejoy
Hello..

My teacher has submitted his reference for me to UCAS but he refuses to let me see the content. I've been told my reference will not be fantastic (as some teachers have given the feedback of my poor attitude in tutorials) so I want to be sure that it really isn't that bad..

I know there is this Subject Access Request thingy that would allow me to see what he has written. May I know how do I go about doing it? Will my referee find out? Thank you :smile:

You can request it from UCAS, just call them up. :smile:
Reply 2
Oh, is there any other way? I live outside the EU and it would be quite costly to make an overseas call. I can't find UCAS' email as well...only the email for enquiries (with only automated response).
Reply 3
Our head of year called us to read all our references before they were sent off to ucas but it is very unlikely that your reference will be bad because your teachers will want you to get into the best universities as it will improve the school/ college reputation.
Reply 4
Original post by nju
Our head of year called us to read all our references before they were sent off to ucas but it is very unlikely that your reference will be bad because your teachers will want you to get into the best universities as it will improve the school/ college reputation.

Lol, my school already has a bad enough reputation in my country. They don't care whether or not we get into good universities; half of us don't make it to local uni. Hmm.. guess calling UCAS is the only way? Do you by any chance know if my referee will find out that I make such a request to UCAS?
Hello..

You can request the reference from UCAS under the Data Protection Act. Although, I'm not sure if you have to fully submit your application before they can give your reference.
Reply 6
You can do that!? :eek:

:ninja:
Reply 7
Original post by NutterFrutter
You can request the reference from UCAS under the Data Protection Act. Although, I'm not sure if you have to fully submit your application before they can give your reference.

That kind of... defeats the purpose of requesting for the reference. Haha.
Reply 8
Lol, my school already has a bad enough reputation in my country. They don't care whether or not we get into good universities; half of us don't make it to local uni. Hmm.. guess calling UCAS is the only way? Do you by any chance know if my referee will find out that I make such a request to UCAS?

Not sure whether they'll let your referee know but you're entitled to know what he wrote about you so would it really matter that much if they did contact him. If I'm honest, I can't imagine UCAS employs staff to inform referees about students making requests on their own applications but you never know. I guess calling UCAS is the only way to find that out too.

If you make a request under the Data Protection Act, they have a right to refuse to show you material which constitutes data of another individual, unless they have their consent or something. Therefore, it'd be more likely if you make such a request that if there is anything pertaining to your referee in what he wrote you that he will then know about it because UCAS would have to get his consent. But I'm no expert so don't take this as gospel.

Either way, call up and see if they'll just let you see your application / that reference. Seems stupid he wouldn't let you see if before he submitted it.
Strictly speaking you can submit a Subject Access Request to either your school or UCAS, as both hold versions of the reference. UCAS have a more established mechanism to do this.

It's likely that the reason your school isn't keen to give students access to references is that this would lead to conflicts between teaching staff and students, especially when references are not as glowing as students would like them to be.

OP - why do you want to see your reference? There is nothing you can do about it; it will either be a pleasant surprise or not. Be zen about it.
Reply 10
Original post by h-g-1
Not sure whether they'll let your referee know but you're entitled to know what he wrote about you so would it really matter that much if they did contact him. If I'm honest, I can't imagine UCAS employs staff to inform referees about students making requests on their own applications but you never know. I guess calling UCAS is the only way to find that out too.

If you make a request under the Data Protection Act, they have a right to refuse to show you material which constitutes data of another individual, unless they have their consent or something. Therefore, it'd be more likely if you make such a request that if there is anything pertaining to your referee in what he wrote you that he will then know about it because UCAS would have to get his consent. But I'm no expert so don't take this as gospel.

Either way, call up and see if they'll just let you see your application / that reference. Seems stupid he wouldn't let you see if before he submitted it.

I don't want to make things awkward because by doing so it's like calling the police to ask your noisy neighbor to keep quiet and you wouldn't want your neighbor to know it was you who called the police (for the lack of a better analogy). Okay I'll give UCAS a call tomorrow. there goes my phone bill :'(

Original post by nonswimmer
Strictly speaking you can submit a Subject Access Request to either your school or UCAS, as both hold versions of the reference. UCAS have a more established mechanism to do this.

It's likely that the reason your school isn't keen to give students access to references is that this would lead to conflicts between teaching staff and students, especially when references are not as glowing as students would like them to be.

OP - why do you want to see your reference? There is nothing you can do about it; it will either be a pleasant surprise or not. Be zen about it.

I want to be mentally prepared for a Cambridge rejection. I heard they place a heavy weight on teacher's reference.
At my school we had to sign references off before they were sent, but we weren't able to see them until they'd been fully compiled. The school had a policy that it wouldn't put anything negative in a reference - only neutral or positive statements. This obviously meant that if they didn't have anything good to say about you, your reference didn't end up being very long. I'm sure that admissions tutors can see through it, but it prevented conflicts and seemed like a fair system.
I don't want to make things awkward because by doing so it's like calling the police to ask your noisy neighbor to keep quiet and you wouldn't want your neighbor to know it was you who called the police (for the lack of a better analogy). Okay I'll give UCAS a call tomorrow. there goes my phone bill :'(

No, they won't tell your teacher. Why would they? (I know because I did it last year - I was equally irritated about not being shown my reference.) But, you can only see once your referee submits it to UCAS ... ie your form has been sent off. So there's nothing you can do about it.
Reply 13
Original post by joker12345
No, they won't tell your teacher. Why would they? (I know because I did it last year - I was equally irritated about not being shown my reference.) But, you can only see once your referee submits it to UCAS ... ie your form has been sent off. So there's nothing you can do about it.

Yes, he has submitted to UCAS. But I've yet to submit my application - can I still request to see it? May I know how do I go about doing it? Thanks in advance.

Oh I know there's nothing I can do about it but as mentioned above, I want to be mentally prepared should I not be invited to the interview.

Edit: Sorry, I saw your post above to call UCAS. Will do. Thanks!
(edited 11 years ago)
Yes, he has submitted to UCAS. But I've yet to submit my application - can I still request to see it? May I know how do I go about doing it? Thanks in advance.

Oh I know there's nothing I can do about it but as mentioned above, I want to be mentally prepared should I not be invited to the interview.

Edit: Sorry, I saw your post above to call UCAS. Will do. Thanks!

http://www.ucas.com/students/applying/howtoapply/dataprotectionact
Ucas charge a fee to disclose the reference. It used to be £10. Don't know if it has gone up.
you can always apply as a lone candidate and get a reference from elsewhere you dont have to apply through your school
Reply 18
Original post by littlemissmidget123
you can always apply as a lone candidate and get a reference from elsewhere you dont have to apply through your school

hey, thats what I'm thinking! to create a whole new account and apply independently; i'll then ask my private tutor to write a reference. i am just afraid cambridge might not welcome a 'private reference'...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending