The Student Room Group

Why do people buy Macs?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Chad_Bronson
Correct.

There is no disputing the nature of Linux as a whole - not necessarily tied to Ubuntu or Linux - is very, very stable. But, I've got a Linux partition and as much as I wanted to like it, I kept coming back to Windows.

The distribution I have is Linux Mint - under the Cinnamon window interface. The problem with Linux, the overwhelming problem - is that for the average mug like me it just isn't user friendly and requires a lot of messing about to set up something that, in Windows, was relatively pain-free to do so. It requires more clicks in necessary.

I, probably like most PC users, want a Linux box that is stable and is simple to use. Were not necessarily interested in coding and the likes, and while Linux distributions have improved substancially over the last few years in becoming easier, there nowhere near as slick or easy to work with like Windows is - installing applications, for example.

What switched me back to Windows after a month of heavily using Linux Mint is their office suite completely sucks - LibreOffice missing even the fundamentals Office 2010 has; and it corrupts my documents when opening them back up in Office 2010.

In 2012, I shouldn't have to learn commands to install programs. Whereas Windows 7 is minimalist and doesn't get in the way (over, say, Vista) Linux distributions have far less code, but still remains stuck in the past.

IMO, anyway.

That sounds exactly like OS X! Mac OS isn't based of Linux, but they are both Unix like OSs. To a first approximation it is very much like Linux, except with a properly built and unified GUI environment built around it. It actually heavily based off BSD (the network stack is specifically what I know about).

But meh, I can't even remember why I am posting here any more. I don't actually care (I am a perfectly satisfied Windows and Linux user, and also think OS X is great but not for my purposes). Maybe because there is lots of rain outside and I am bored :tongue:
Original post by Fallen
That sounds exactly like OS X! Mac OS isn't based of Linux, but they are both Unix like OSs. To a first approximation it is very much like Linux, except with a properly built and unified GUI environment built around it. It actually heavily based off BSD (the network stack is specifically what I know about).

But meh, I can't even remember why I am posting here any more. I don't actually care (I am a perfectly satisfied Windows and Linux user, and also think OS X is great but not for my purposes). Maybe because there is lots of rain outside and I am bored :tongue:

Haha, maybe so :wink:

IMO though - OSX isn't the rock solid stable OS everyone believes it is. On slow equipment Windows works like an absolute DOG. If Windows plays nice with your hardware, you don't have to worry about any problems.

But, as I have used an Mac before, OSX isn't immune from crashes either. No operating system is; but it seems to happen much, much more frequent than I would like out of an operating system - so it's pure guff when people say it's more stable than Windows.

IMO, if your Windows box is configured correctly, there is absolutely no reason why stability-wise it would be inferior to a make configuration. Coding aside.
Reply 122
Because the components are created to work with the operating system, and it is very easy to use, as well as high quality feeling you get from the apple product, that you wont get with a plastic 13" acer laptop.

Also, macs have the tendency to stay consistant with performance over time, and when compared to a similar computer they will defeat them in that way, so dont pay attention to the specs too much, as your average user wont use more than 4GB's of ram, and besides unless your running photoshop along with after effects and say a word processing program, you wont need more than 4GB.
Reply 123
Original post by Joseph-
Because the components are created to work with the operating system, and it is very easy to use, as well as high quality feeling you get from the apple product, that you wont get with a plastic 13" acer laptop.

Also, macs have the tendency to stay consistant with performance over time, and when compared to a similar computer they will defeat them in that way, so dont pay attention to the specs too much, as your average user wont use more than 4GB's of ram, and besides unless your running photoshop along with after effects and say a word processing program, you wont need more than 4GB.

See the post above yours.

And the components aren't created to work with the OS. PCs and Macs use the same components.
To be honest, I think they look a lot nicer than most PCs. They are made of aluminium rather than plastic, so are more durable.
Some people don't have time to mess around with drivers, installation discs etc. and just want to buy a computer that works straight out of the box.

The glossy screen on the iMacs and MacBooks are pretty nice as well, especially the retina MacBook Pro.
For me it's just a personal preference. I've been using macs since 2007 (just bought a new MBP for uni) and the OS is just second nature to me now. I run both OS X and Linux on my mac and I've never had any problems. I know some people do have issues with their macs, but in my personal experience (I don't claim to speak for every computer user) I find that my mac has far fewer problems than my friends' windows PCs.

It's very easy to get used to the gestures and I now find them incredibly useful. It's very intuitive. I learned everything I knew about computers by using windows machines before I switched to a mac and it only took a couple of hours to get the hang of the OS.

Another thing I enjoy about using a mac is the fact that once I've logged into iCloud, all of my information and preferences can sync easily to all my other devices. I don't know where I'd be without safari's reading list. I suppose I would feel differently if I used an Android or Blackberry instead of an iPhone/iPad but for me it's incredibly useful to have all my devices up to date with each other all the time with the click of a button.

A lot of the problems people have with macs stem from a small portion of mac users. The hardcore fanboys who claim macbooks to be the best computer in the history of the whole world ever are the loudest, so people seem to assume that all mac users believe themselves/their computer to be better than other people purely because it's a mac. If the fanboys weren't so vocal about their "super amazing" computers then people would see that not all mac users feel that their computer is the best on the market when it clearly isn't.

TL;DR- It's a personal preference. I like the intuitive OS and the fact that my computer can connect to my iPhone/iPad so easily with no effort on my part. The appearance of the machine itself doesn't hurt either :smile:
Original post by mikeorchard
All of that software is virtually identical on Windows and most mainstream 3D modelling software is native to Windows first and then ported to Mac, because Windows PC's can be configured with a wider range of graphics card and processors and therefore offer better performance as workstations for that sort of use.

You're most probably right, but the facts of my experience, is that maya, or photoshop, or illustrator run better on a mac than on most similar specs PCs.
Reply 127
The best setup and configuration is -

A custom built PC running windows 7 at home for everything games related and intensive.

MacBook pro for general use and to take to university lectures etc.
Original post by peliqueiro
You're most probably right, but the facts of my experience, is that maya, or photoshop, or illustrator run better on a mac than on most similar specs PCs.

One persons experience does not equal fact.
Original post by TinFish
The best setup and configuration is -

A custom built PC running windows 7 at home for everything games related and intensive.

MacBook pro for general use and to take to university lectures etc.

But you can do general use on the aforementioned custom built PC and a pen and paper is far cheaper than a MBP for lectures...

Most pointlessly expensive setup ever. MacBook Air for lectures and general use, maybe. Heck, some people would manage with an iPad for that.
Reply 130
Original post by mikeorchard
But you can do general use on the aforementioned custom built PC and a pen and paper is far cheaper than a MBP for lectures...

Most pointlessly expensive setup ever. MacBook Air for lectures and general use, maybe. Heck, some people would manage with an iPad for that.

Yeah I got the iPad too but thats just for when I'm in bed lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending