The Student Room Group

Medicine- what's the best option for me?

Hello, currently 16 just started my As levels in the three sciences and maths. Really want to go into medicine but not too sure which route would be best.

My gcses were mediocre, 3 A's 4 B's and a distinction* in business. My gcses put me off the thought of applying straight away for medicine.

So the question is should I aim to do a neuroscience degree and then attempt to do a graduate medicine course afterwards?

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
to what i understood graduate entry medicine is even more competitive the normal medicine :smile: look for unis that don't look at your gcses too much
Reply 2
What the guy above said...

graduate entry medicine is even more competitive and you have to do well in a degree you may not be very interested in, I would only go down this route if you meet none of the universities minimum entry requirements which I'm sure you do. Just apply smart... My GCSEs aren't good either but I will still be applying for medicine this year :smile:
Your GCSEs do not rule you out from being able to apply for medicine. It's very true that medicine attracts many applicants with a high number of A*s and you will be in competition with them, but there is far more to a medicine application than just GCSEs, and even then, there's far more to an application than just academics. Academically, if you do well in your A levels, then you're in with a shot!

I echo the points of the above, graduate entry medicine is very competitive. I'd say go for medicine now if it's what you want to do, bud.
Reply 4
Again I agree with all the above, its worth a shot but you will have to find other areas to shine in eg get looking and started with some amazing voluntary work/ work experience. If you have the finances, or can save up enough to be able to perhaps you could do some medically related overseas volunteer work as well - something like that would really help you shine I reckon :smile:

And as others have said, pick where you apply to carefully.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending