The Student Room Group

Is it stupid to take both geography and geology?

I'm in year 12 and I'm taking AS maths, physics, chemistry and geography at school and I'm self teaching geology at home and will be doing the exams at school. I want to do geophysics or geology at uni.

Is it stupid to take both geography and geology?
If you're going to self teach and feel it won't hinder other subjects go for it!

Posted from the Bottom of the Big Blue Sea...
yes
First of all, I'd immediately say that it isn't worth it doing both, if the circumstances were that you would do all of them at school. This is because some universities do not accept both (geography and geology) and would thus recognise only one, not to mention that you don't need geology to apply to any university AT ALL (I believe) - I'm in year 13, doing mathematics, chemistry, physics and economics and applying to do earth sciences/geophysics, and haven't found any courses that required it.

However, if you believe you can handle all of the subjects using efficient and effective time management, and do well enough to get the grades you need, there is no doubt that it will provide you with a legitimate example of you enjoying the subject and seeking understanding.

In conclusion, I'd recommend NOT doing five AS levels, but if it is something you feel strongly about, there is no doubt that it's possible.
I only do geography out of the two. Especially if you want to do either of the two, which you do, i would say it's worth it. From what i've done, theres little overlap.
Well im doing my AS's too and im doing both geography and geology.
For me, i took both as i love Earth sciences, but im not great at physics or maths so its a way of getting into Earth sciences without the harder subjects at a level :colondollar:

In your situation, i think it will be really helpful studying it now so you get a taster of it.
Ive found it really helpful for thinking of unis because i know which topics i like better than others so far.

You sound like you would be able to handle the workload judging by your subject choices, and if you have a personal interest in it you probably wont find it very hard at all.
Original post by ***OpenSky***
Well im doing my AS's too and im doing both geography and geology.
For me, i took both as i love Earth sciences, but im not great at physics or maths so its a way of getting into Earth sciences without the harder subjects at a level :colondollar:

In your situation, i think it will be really helpful studying it now so you get a taster of it.
Ive found it really helpful for thinking of unis because i know which topics i like better than others so far.

You sound like you would be able to handle the workload judging by your subject choices, and if you have a personal interest in it you probably wont find it very hard at all.

Having done both of those subjects what has this got you to do at uni?
No, I take both and they compliment each other very well. However if you don't want to do either at uni then I personally wouldn't but if you do then definitely go for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Benji17023
No, I take both and they compliment each other very well. However if you don't want to do either at uni then I personally wouldn't but if you do then definitely go for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

(dude, look at the date on the OP)
Original post by Alexion
(dude, look at the date on the OP)

Ahahaha

Wonder if they ever took it............ o_O
No
they are counted as different subjects. there is as much overlap between OCR Geology and AQA Geography as beween physics and Biology.
Original post by Shane Webb
No
they are counted as different subjects. there is as much overlap between OCR Geology and AQA Geography as beween physics and Biology.

Gotta be kidding me, another one?

Quick Reply

Latest