The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Matthew_Lowson
This election is three days fewer than the one held in March. So the par level for that election works out at 499.8 votes (rounded up to 500)

Thanks for explaining that to me Matthew_Lowson :smile:
Original post by Obscenedilemma
Worried about internet guru's comments about the Libertarian Party. I've consistently voted Libertarian in the past however if there are MP's pushing for an attack on Iran then I'd be very regretful about voting Libertarian. In addition what's this about wanting to stay in AFG?

internetguru is just a troll to be ignored (with his comments on all parties, not just ours). To clear it up, we're an anti-war party.
Original post by benpearson1
I think it is fundamentally about wealth, yes. Obviously, if you think how wealth in a capitalist society influences everything else it is quite clear (to me, at least) that wealth affects culture, which in turn affects upbringings etc.

Okay. What is stopping people from poorer backgrounds from getting well paid jobs?
Original post by internetguru
If you read my manifesto I attacked several parties for breaking campaign promises from the last election. That proves I am legit somehow.

ah...but who is to say that you wouldn't do exactly the same. "Do as I say, not as I do" type of scenario?
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
ah...but who is to say that you wouldn't do exactly the same. "Do as I say, not as I do" type of scenario?

Indeed, like I put to him earlier, he was in the Conservatives who were the largest party in government last time around, they asked him to recontest election for his MP seat (as we don't contest individual seats etc.) which according to their party constitution they are entitled to do. He took exception to this and tried to bring down the government.
Original post by Smack
Okay. What is stopping people from poorer backgrounds from getting well paid jobs?

Lack of aspiration in that direction, possibly as a result of poorer education in some cases and upbringing guiding them towards so called "working class" professions and trades.
Original post by Morgsie
That is the impression I got because you are so anti-renewable energy.

I think we need to look into getting energy from various water sources: wave, tidal etc. We are an island surrounded by water.

What about harnessing the power of exercise bikes?
Original post by wizardtop
I think its a good idea of researching various other avenues for renewable energy as its the way forward Morgsie.

I should have mentioned harnessing the power of cheese rolling as well, sorry.
Original post by Smack

Surprise, fear, fanatical devotion to the Pope (sorry, wrong sketch quoted).

Old school tie
Lack of qualifications
Being led by their peers
Lack of support from their parents (often dad is not about)
Watching Jeremy Kyle
Excellent teachers going to schools in better off areas
Distance from London where the better paid jobs are
Lack of an MRLP government
Reply 789
Original post by barnetlad
Surprise, fear, fanatical devotion to the Pope (sorry, wrong sketch quoted).

Old school tie
Lack of qualifications
Being led by their peers
Lack of support from their parents (often dad is not about)
Watching Jeremy Kyle
Excellent teachers going to schools in better off areas
Distance from London where the better paid jobs are
Lack of an MRLP government

PRSOM

:teehee:

<3 x
Reply 790
I am disappointed that you have not mentioned that we gave the Commonwealth as it is now called and some other parts of the world cricket, rugby union, a decent legal system. The BBC is much better than many if not most other broadcasting institutions. Then there are the eccentricities and humour we bring- Yorkshire pudding as a first course, tomato (a fruit) being used as a vegetable, the English language with all its irregular verbs and unusual spellings.

I would have mentioned all of those apart from the BBC, just couldn't be bothered.
Reply 791
Original post by Cheese_Monster
So basically, of all the things UKIP could attack the EU on, you choose renewable energy? Vote UKIP, frick the planet? Haha. There's being insular and nationalistic, and then there's being practical and realising one country's energy usage is far more pressing than the confines of one's national borders.

There are many things to attack the EU on as I have done many times.
The BBC is much better than many if not most other broadcasting institutions.

No it is not, ARD, Canal+, NRK, RTL, TF1, TV 2, ZDF all for example are a lot better than the BBC :smile:
Reply 793
How can the BBC be so great when its so biased?
Reply 794
Could UKIP state what their education and health policy is?

Could the Conservative Party state why they believe an in/out referendum on EU membership is necessary? Also do all members of the TSR Conservative Party believe, the United Kingdom is better being outside of the European Union?

Thank you :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 795
Original post by eff01

Could the Conservative Party state why they believe an in/out referendum on EU membership is necessary? Also do all members of the TSR Conservative Party believe, the United Kingdom is better being outside of the European Union?

Thank you :smile:

The Conservative Party does believe that an in/out referendum is required because we are now approaching the point where we must define our relationship and either integrate or get out, no longer can the status-quo be maintained as a core of nations (those in the Future of Europe primarily) seek political union. All members are free to hold their own positions at this time and there are those (myself included) who do not seek to leave the EU.
Reply 796
The BBC however has a big problem with it. Not all broadcasters are required to be impartial by law where as the BBC is since it is publicly funded.
Original post by eff01

What do you want to know specifically with regards to those two areas? Matthew_Lowson is working on some stuff for education and AfcWimbledon2 has also worked on some stuff for education so they should be able to give some more in depth answers. With regards to health, our main policies are reforming the NHS, but by working with doctors, nurses, GPs and other workers in the NHS to achieve the very best. Those working in the NHS know what is best for the NHS so we would work with them in any reforms. We would also like to provide more money so that patients can get the best medication as well as access to life-prolonging drugs in the case of cancer.

Matthew_Lowson

QFA

Afcwimbledon2

QFA

For education policy question.
Original post by ukip72
The BBC however has a big problem with it. Not all broadcasters are required to be impartial by law where as the BBC is since it is publicly funded.

Could you name an example of BBC bias?
Reply 799
Original post by Rakas21
All members are free to hold their own positions at this time and there are those (myself included) who do not seek to leave the EU.

I see, so if a referendum is called, will you join the voices in the Labour Party and the Liberal Democrats and campaign to stay in the European Union?

Latest

Trending

Trending