The Student Room Group

Would it put me at a disadvantage?

In June 2011, in my Year 10 year, I took AS Chinese and achieved a B.
In June 2012, in my Year 11 year, I retook a single unit in AS
Chinese, still obtaining B.
In June 2013, in my Year 12 I will be taking my A2 Chinese.

Do you think Universities will discriminate over my AS Chinese because I took it over two years [and therefore, including my A2 Chinese, took my A-levels over 3 years]?
:/
Original post by nataliekwong

Do you think Universities will discriminate over my AS Chinese because I took it over two years [and therefore, including my A2 Chinese, took my A-levels over 3 years]?

Erm - yes. I don't think that you'll be able to apply using it, but I'm not sure

No. All AS and A levels are turned into ucas points. They don't really care if you take 2 or 3 years at the end of the day it only adds to your total points.

You are worrying over nothing

Original post by NightStrider
Erm - yes. I don't think that you'll be able to apply using it, but I'm not sure

Why would they not accept a qualification due to someone taking 2 years? A qualification is just that a qualification. There are plenty of reasons that people may not complete the qualification in a year.
Original post by Politics Student
No. All AS and A levels are turned into ucas points. They don't really care if you take 2 or 3 years at the end of the day it only adds to your total points.

Why would they not accept a qualification due to someone taking 2 years? A qualification is just that a qualification. There are plenty of reasons that people may not complete the qualification in a year.

Somebody did maths in year 12 and got an a* in maths. His offer was for a a*in further maths BECAUSE he did it a year early
Reply 4
You don't need to tell them you did it over two years. Just put the most recent one up
Reply 5
If anything you finishing A2 a year early will overcompensate how long it took you. You should be able to apply with a completed A level rather than a predicted A2 grade.
Reply 6

If it is your 'home' language there is a chance universities will not count it in any offers made- they will expect your grades for entry to come from three-four other subjects anyway.
Reply 7
Original post by Politics Student

Only the lower ranked unis look at ucas points. To get into a good uni they just care about grades. And some of the very good unis like LSE, UCL, St Andrews, Edinburgh frown upon A-Levels being taken over more than 2 years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending