The Student Room Group

Feeling unconfident about second driving test- any tips?

Hi guys, well I nearly passed my first test two days ago (argh, was so angry at myself!). I am now looking for cancellations, but I cant help feeling apprehensive :frown:. I keep feeling afraid of failing again/getting a harder route or manoeuvre/strict examiner. Has anyone else experienced this, or is it just me? Also any tips for when I do find a date...*gulp* I also start my second year of uni in one week, and worrying about taking the test and coping with labs etc. :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi there, I know the feeling! I failed my first test last month and it was because of one mistake on the way back to the test centre so it really made me upset. Do not let the nerves get the better of you. Just treat it as a normal driving lesson and do what you think is right. I have my test this week and I am trying to stay calm lol good luck :smile: book it asap because of your theory test expiration.
The best thing to do is just pretend it's like any other driving lesson, go in with confidence. Your attitude will play a huge role in whether you pass or fail; if you get worked up this can badly affect your driving. It's also partly down to luck, because you might get excellent conditions or face several hazards all at once! Don't let it worry you, you're in control of the car and you don't get penalised for taking your time (as long as you're not hesitant at junctions, roundabouts etc) :smile:
I know someone that failed it the first time, then because of that he was really nervous the second time and failed.

Needless to say, just chill
I felt exactly the same before my driving tests (I won't say how many times it took) but there's a couple of things I did and I passed with no minors or anything.

First, this sounds daft but don't publicise the fact you're taking your driving test. by that I mean don't tell anyone except your instructor. A big part of my test nerves came from the expectations of others who, for perfectly good reasons, were so confident I would pass that it increased the pressure. The fewer people know, the less this pressure can happen.

Second, as others have mentioned, it's a lot of mind over matter. That is to say, treat it as any other drive where you have the opportunity to show the examiner how well you can drive. Look at it that way and it'll go a lot smoother and you'll actually drive better.

Finally, this isn't something I tried but my instructor told me it has worked for others. Get some rescue remedy, it comes in a little bottle and is a great relaxant and reliever of anxiety.

Good luck!
Reply 5
For me, I definitely downplayed the test in my mind. It's just a test, I don't care if I pass or fail, I can always just take it again, that sort of thing. It worked :smile:

The other thing that settled my nerves was being in a crash - I was a passenger in a car that was written off, and nobody in either car was injured. I felt a lot better about driving after that, but wouldn't recommend trying it yourself.
I am feeling the same way. I have booked it and need to calm down. *hugs* we can do this!

A quotation said, 'whether you believe you can or whether you believe you can't, you're probably right.'

Have self-belief and believe you can do this :smile:.
Reply 7
Thanks guys! :smile: The failure caused me to worry x10. Good luck tradingmyheartforyours!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending