The Student Room Group

My university has turned into a school.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kevin6767
The country has started a crack down on illegal immigrants because it is a problem and the broader British population are not happy about it. Policing is pretty essential for the enforcement of the law, you know they code of practice we live by. Many people including myself welcome such a crack down. The previous government knew it was a problem but refused to deal with it because they feared getting caught stuck in their own web of labelling everyone who disagreed with them as bigoted or racist. Thankful we appear to be emerging from such nonesense.

Your classes start at 10am and you are complaining about having to be there for that time? Most jobs will start earlier than that and you will need to commute. Yes I do travel to university, I also travelled to work everyday before I went to university. I am up at 7am and by 8am I am ready to go out through the door. You essentially have no genuine problem here you are just whining about having to get up earlier to get to class. If you hate being at university so much why are you still there?

University is also about independent study. If you happen to feel that you would be better off, for example, skipping a few lectures to concentrate on an essay you have to complete quickly, it isn't the university's place to mark you "absent" and nag you about it via letters (and possibly bring about worse consequences). University is big boy school. They shouldn't be engaging in that sort of hand-holding.
Original post by Joonie
Makes alot of sense, but I don't have lectures that's the thing. We don't get taught in class either, we just get feedback for our projetcs, so my uni isn't teaching me anything either way lol

But isn't that the point? Overseas students would find it easier to go AWOL from a course like yours with the absence going unnoticed by either the academic or the administrative staff. Hence the need to put in measures to detect their presence and absence.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 42
in the adult world of work, if i'm more than 10 minutes late a few times, i'll be sacked. so i'd say it's not like school at all - it's like the real world.

i'm not saying suck it up. i'm saying that you shouldn't be late for your classes. it's very easy to be on time. someone who regularly has 'problems' getting there isn't leaving enough time. once you leave uni it'll be much stricter so you should learn how to manage your time properly now. maybe you think it's like school because you sound like a child.
Reply 43
Original post by canŵio
in the adult world of work, if i'm more than 10 minutes late a few times, i'll be sacked. so i'd say it's not like school at all - it's like the real world.

i'm not saying suck it up. i'm saying that you shouldn't be late for your classes. it's very easy to be on time. someone who regularly has 'problems' getting there isn't leaving enough time. once you leave uni it'll be much stricter so you should learn how to manage your time properly now. maybe you think it's like school because you sound like a child.

+1

I think applying it to art and fashion degrees is probably a step too far, but students getting cross subsidies from other students (i.e. physical science students) should be forced to turn up. It's not acceptable for a university to take arts students money, spend it on other customers and then fail to check whether the subsidised students are even making an effort.
Reply 44
Original post by TayRex
My college would do the same sorts of things and it would drive me around the bend. I was a 100% attendance and punctuality student but it still pissed me off. If you don't show up to a lesson, they ring mummy and daddy.

We had to fill in absence forms for everything (even if it was an exam you'd need one). And even then they were useless. I handed in one because I had to go to my grandfather's funeral and they said to me "We need a note from your parents to say where you actually are." An 18 year old needs a letter to prove to the college that they're not bull****ting about being at a funeral. I refused so they marked me as having an unauthorized absence and filling in the form was a waste of time.

College trips also count as unauthorized. Even the compulsory ones. >_>

I got a one hour after school detention and a letter home recently for being 2-3 minutes late to registration (didn't miss any lessons) three times within the space of three weeks.

Some sixth forms just take it way too far. What does it matter as long as your grades are fine? Most colleges don't even have registration.
(edited 11 years ago)
Which Uni is this anyway if you don't mind me asking :smile:
Original post by Joonie
University east london. It's not a bad uni, just that it has some really badly ran courses and I happen to be attending one of them.

I heard some girls talking on the bus yesterday about UEL. Not sure if they were students themselves or just knew people who go to UEL. They were taking about being fined if you are late more than a certain number of times and said that if you were persistently late you would be thrown off your course.

Posted from my Galaxy note
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 47
You'll find many employers enforce a similar policy...good luck with that if you're just going to moan about it.

It doesn't matter whether you have proper lectures or not - if you're required to turn up on time, you just suck it up and do it. It's in writing and it's their policy - deal with it (and by making a thread about it you're ostensibly not dealing with it).

FYI, I had to travel to uni and I managed to turn up on time (sometimes significantly earlier if I wanted to avoid traffic).
Reply 48
what uni is it OP?
Original post by aeterno
You'll find many employers enforce a similar policy...good luck with that if you're just going to moan about it.

It doesn't matter whether you have proper lectures or not - if you're required to turn up on time, you just suck it up and do it. It's in writing and it's their policy - deal with it (and by making a thread about it you're ostensibly not dealing with it).

FYI, I had to travel to uni and I managed to turn up on time (sometimes significantly earlier if I wanted to avoid traffic).

Guess you are the sort of person who thinks paying to do a course is the same as paid to do work.

I mean what employer would fire a late employee who paid THEM to be there.
For me, the work has always been more important than the attendance. Attendance at specific times is good for making sure people have the right information, and are actually participating in the course, but compulsory 100% attendance is irritating. It depends what sort of person you are though: some people do very little work outside their classes, whereas others do the majority of their work outside of classes! I think that as long as you get the grades, there should be no issue with attendance.

I have been called on non-attendance before (health related, and mainly in 6th form, but also in uni) and the usual "if your attendance doesn't improve, your grades will suffer" which, of course, isn't always true at all. For example, missing days occasionally to recover, and catching up on work when my brain actually works has to be better than if I travel 45 minutes, spend the hours in class in a daze because I'm completely unable to concentrate, and then another 45 minutes home, then still have to find time to recover before I can actually catch up on work!
Reply 51
Original post by drbluebox
Guess you are the sort of person who thinks paying to do a course is the same as paid to do work.

I mean what employer would fire a late employee who paid THEM to be there.

Have you never heard of common courtesy? Actually, don't bother answering that - it's clear what you think from your attitude.
Reply 52
Didn't your college teach you this? I'm 16 years old on time to everything live 1hour away from my school, stop the complaining leave earlier and stop crying on tsr by the way I don't think if you are plus 2hours away to attend that uni or to live that far away that can seriously mess up your morning mentality... Get over it, leave earlier stop expecting to be handed everything in life uni and sixth form prepare you for life. Also just because we pay fees gives us the right to interrupt a lesson? No everybody is in the same boat arrive ontime without ruining others education.
Reply 53
Original post by CB91
Oh grow up. If you want to be treated like an adult then act like one by turning up on time. If you're late for work consistently then you get fired, it should be no different for University.

Well except that university exists for YOUR benefit. You should aim to attend all your lectures, tutorials, labs etc. But if you don't it's your own loss. Because you won't have the tools required to do the work that is expected of you.

It shouldn't be their job to make sure you're doing what you're supposed to do to do well. That's why most universities do not take attendance (except for things like labs and tutorials where you're sometimes marked on how you conduct yourself).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by limetang
Well except that university exists for YOUR benefit. You should aim to attend all your lectures, tutorials, labs etc. But if you don't it's your own loss. Because you won't have the tools required to do the work that is expected of you.

It shouldn't be their job to make sure you're doing what you're supposed to do to do well. That's why most universities do not take attendance (except for things like labs and tutorials where you're sometimes marked on how you conduct yourself).

I agree, but (to repeat a point I've tried to make a few times) missing lectures etc isn't always a loss. It's the student's place to assess whether it is or is not a loss.

Though I also agree with above posters that turning up in the middle of a lecture is fairly discourteous, and have nothing against universities banning people from doing that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I agree, but (to repeat a point I've tried to make a few times) missing lectures etc isn't always a loss. It's the student's place to assess whether it is or is not a loss.

Though I also agree with above posters that turning up in the middle of a lecture is fairly discourteous, and have nothing against universities banning people from doing that.

I can agree with you in some ways for that. Especially when some lecturers seem to be just writing down a carbon copy of their online lecture notes.
This will sound a bit odd, and understand that I'd never, and do never, miss lectures, but even so...I still think students at university should have the freedom to miss lectures if they choose to do so.

The 'punishment', instead of lecturers resorting to acting like teachers with registers and year 9 teacher attitudes, should simply be that, come the time of examinations and coursework, that person fails because they lack the knowledge needed to pass.

It's slightly misleading because I think, rightly or wrongly, a lot of people are attracted to the idea of post-school university work because they assume, and are often told, that it is full of 'freedom' to work and study how you like and want to, often believing that missing lectures, should they choose to do so, is freely available to them to do without repurcusions from the administration. Like I said, if they fail because they don't know the work then that's the result, if they pass because of independent study then that should be fine with the university, but sadly it isn't.

The problem I have is that you aren't free, such as in the days of my dad where he didn't go to lectures in his 3rd year of Oxford and just studied in his room, to do the course as you wish, and the atmosphere in lectures has severely suffered for it! My lecturer for History thinks she's a Year 9 teacher in a Year 9 class, she talks as if she were, she keeps a register as if she were, and she patronises the students as if they were. All this leads to a real dissatisfaction with university in terms of believing you were escaping to a truly independent and 'free' learning environment, when the fact is that you're simply not, it's more like a school just with more vague styles of teaching the material.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 57
You have no obligation to turn up on time to lectures because the university isn't paying you, you're paying it and using it as a service.

My building has a swipe card thing on the door, what's wrong with a system like that? (nothing to do with this particular scandal, but it appeared in about April so I guess they were trying to use up the budget)
Original post by Arekkusu
You have no obligation to turn up on time to lectures because the university isn't paying you, you're paying it and using it as a service.

My building has a swipe card thing on the door, what's wrong with a system like that? (nothing to do with this particular scandal, but it appeared in about April so I guess they were trying to use up the budget)

You do, however, have an obligation to show up to the lectures though, right? It might be different depending on the university?

I know that at mine if you miss two lectures without writing in and giving a good reason why, then you get kicked off the course.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by aeterno
Have you never heard of common courtesy? Actually, don't bother answering that - it's clear what you think from your attitude.

Better than your high and mighty attitude.

And FYI am am overly polite, I get walked over quite a lot in many things.

But it seems your attitude is a rule is a rule, reminds me of when I was on benefits and had 4 buses a day and 15 mile walk to town and I was told if I was offered a 2 hour a day job at 3am I should take it as a jobs a job.

You seem very robotic, it seems that if you were told its a rule to jump off a cliff you would.

Courtesy works on more than one level, it takes more effort for someone to travel 20 miles than a few minute down the road so if the person who travels 20 miles is late then thats far more understandable than someone living around the corner and making no effort.

I know students who get a taxi a 5 minute walk to uni, if the difference between being late is just that, then that is an unfair advantage for people who have the money to burn.

I personally wake up around 6.30am to get to class for 9am due to traffic and still 10-30 minutes late a day, its even worse when I am am on heavy medication that makes me permanently tired and barely able to move about half the day but I do it.

So I go through all that and still end up late and I dislike the idea of people thinking less of me when they live locally and often get lifts from family or taxis or trains and just dont understand what its like for most people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending