The Student Room Group

What to write about in MATHS personal statement

What areas of maths would be interesting to talk about in a personal statement?
What extra curricular activities would be relevant to maths?
What work experience would be relevant to maths?
Reply 1
Just write about what areas of maths you like/enjoy/are interesting to you. You can also go on about books you've read and what you gained from them.
Reply 2
If I remember rightly, when I wrote my personal statement I covered the following areas (about a paragraph on each)

Why I like maths
Books I've read about maths
Awards I've received (e.g. maths challenge, scoring highly in exams etc)
Maths I've done in my spare time
Work experience
Other extra-curricular activities

Original post by Three_Twelve
What areas of maths would be interesting to talk about in a personal statement?
It would probably help to talk about anything that goes a bit beyond the a-level syllabus. I couldn't name anything specific but one thing you could start off with would be to look at the results you are taught in a-level and think about why they are true.

What extra curricular activities would be relevant to maths?
It varies between what's available as to how relevant it is to maths. Have a look at what's on offer and choose the things that have the most relevance, or if there's nothing that relevant to maths out there then choose something more academic.

What work experience would be relevant to maths?

There isn't really a lot of opportunity to do work experience that's related to maths (at least not the maths that's taught at university level), however the experience doesn't need to be related to maths. Choose something that's related to whatever career you want to go into afterwards and it will still be useful.
I'm probably not the best person to take advice from for Personal statements :biggrin: Just hoping these maths admissions people know that Mathematicians generally can't write :P (or at least I hope all you other mathmos can't?!?!?!)
I did:
Why I like maths
Books I've read
Physics/Mathsy stuff/Extra curricular
Work experience/Headstart
Extra Curricular
Cheesy Sign-off

Quick Reply

Latest