The Student Room Group

Persoal statement

Im starting to write my personal statement but I am torn between about three subjects, they're similar In the sense that they are mainly centred around maths or maths and physics. How do I write a personal statement that isn't too specific to one course, or do I have to settle with only one course and tailor my personal stamens to that?
Original post by Georgia6375
Im starting to write my personal statement but I am torn between about three subjects, they're similar In the sense that they are mainly centred around maths or maths and physics. How do I write a personal statement that isn't too specific to one course, or do I have to settle with only one course and tailor my personal stamens to that?

Hi @Georgia6375!

It's great that you are already starting your personal statement as this will give you plenty of time to plan and write a great piece. I can see that it's difficult to know what to write when you are going for different subjects. My advice would be to try and include details from all of them. This is difficult I know, as you don't have many characters to work with!
Perhaps you could pick the course that you are wanting to go into the most and write mainly focusing on that, while including a little bit of detail surrounding the others.
Or you could always focus on the link between them all, being the maths and physics route, and write mainly about them as you hopefully cover all bases there.

Overall, my advice would be to maybe try each of these ideas out and see which one sounds the best to you. It certainly isn't a simple task and I wish you luck in writing it!

I hope this helped. :smile:

Emily
First Year Creative Writing Student
Original post by Georgia6375

Hi!

I think this depends on how different the courses are but if maths/physics is relevant to all 3 of the courses you are hoping to apply to I would recommend focusing the majority of your personal statement on maths/physics. You could then also include a few points that relate to the other aspects of the courses.

The most important thing to do in a personal statement is to show your passion for the subjects you are applying for so maybe think of a few examples you could use to show this for maths and then 1 or 2 to include for the other aspects of the courses.

Good luck, I hope this helps!
Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending