The Student Room Group

If I do an extra year, will it effect my chances?

If I do an extra year (not repeat), will it effect my chances of getting in to a top 10 university?
Reply 1
BUMP
Reply 2
No, I'm doing that and applying to 5 'top 10' unis. I have asked each of them about staying another year at college, and they have said that they don't mind at all, as long as each of your a-levels are obtained within the normal two year period and your achieved/predicted grades meet their minimum entry requirements.

NB: If you complete your A-levels within the normal 2 year period and stay another year to retake a couple of modular exams to achieve higher grades then this means you will have achieved your A-levels within a 3year period which will disadvantage your application.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Basiji
No, I'm doing that and applying to 5 'top 10' unis. I have asked each of them about staying another year at college, and they have said that they don't mind at all, as long as each of your a-levels are obtained within the normal two year period and your achieved/predicted grades meet their minimum entry requirements.

NB: If you complete your A-levels within the normal 2 year period and stay another year to retake a couple of modular exams to achieve higher grades then this means you will have achieved your A-levels within a 3year period which will disadvantage your application.

Yeh this is exactly what I'm doing.
Thanks
Original post by Basiji

Have you emailed Bristol about it, out of curiousity?! I did that (doing 2 of the same subjects, but on a different exam board at a new sixth form) but they've not emailed me back yet! :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by vaguity
Have you emailed Bristol about it, out of curiousity?! I did that (doing 2 of the same subjects, but on a different exam board at a new sixth form) but they've not emailed me back yet! :frown:

Yes I called up the ECS department. Basically I've completed my A-Levels (maths, chemistry, biology and AS further maths), staying another year to complete FM to A2 level. They were fine with it.

I have a friend who stayed an extra at college and was retaking modules in all his subjects to improve his grades and he got an offer from Bristol to do economics.
Original post by Basiji
Yes I called up the ECS department. Basically I've completed my A-Levels (maths, chemistry, biology and AS further maths), staying another year to complete FM to A2 level. They were fine with it.

I have a friend who stayed an extra at college and was retaking modules in all his subjects to improve his grades and he got an offer from Bristol to do economics.

Ah, they STILL haven't emailed me back! Might end up ringing them up at some point then...not sure how long I should give them to reply...

That's a relief. I got AAABB the first time I did A levels so it's hardly an issue of bad grades for me, but Manchester and Leeds were funny about it...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending