The Student Room Group

'I went to their open day and hated it' - your experiences

Scroll to see replies

Original post by placebo24
Everyone who I have talked to has hated one of the universities they have visited - what was yours?

Mine was personally Durham. I got the feeling it was trying too hard to be Oxbridge, but lacked any of the progression Oxbridge had actually made - for example it seemed quite snobby and the academic material, at least for my course, seemed too traditional for myself.

I had this with KCL's Music department. Not saying the whole uni is the same but the Music department was exactly like this. So very nearly ended up there as well :eek: It just didn't suit my personality :nah:
Reply 61
Nottingham, when I went it was raining, the campus seemed like one big wet puddle, and all I saw of the city centre was broadmarsh and the walk between the train and bus station.

...then I went back, and the sun was out, I found the Portland Building and the lake, and the market square in the city, and I realised why it was voted the prettiest campus in the UK.
Didn't go to an open day I visited it for a lecture once....
Birmingham Uni.

Saw the language department and it was like a shanty town in the middle of a really nice big city.
Exeter - I got there and realised that their politics course is obsessed with the Middle East, whereas my interests lie elsewhere.

Loughborough - whilst the course looked good, the combination of an obsession with sport (I spent my schooldays becoming proficient at skiving PE) and the depressing small town with only one or two clubs really didn't appeal to me.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Bristol it was horrible :frown: no community feel and no one had a clue what was going on, and the accommodation was horrible, except Wills Hall which was really expensive.
Liverpool John Moores. I'm going to be honest: there was sick (and I am pretty sure piss) outside the department I visited and the amount of weed smokers was unbelievable. I would not expect this for an open day! God knows what standard it is in on the average day :wink:
St Andrews. It is a claustrophobic bubble and it's seemed very easy to go stir crazy. In addition we got the 'will and Kate' tour which was unerringly monotonous.
Reply 67
Aberdeen - absolutely gorgeous city and uni, everyone was lovely, but the physics lecturers were so dull and boring and had no enthusiasm for their subject. Shame really.
Bristol was really not for me. I went on a post-offer day and it was about 90% female for my course, (about 50-50 everywhere else I had been to), bleached blonde hair everywhere and Jack Wills plastered on everyone! Jack Wills was also about a minute walk from the department... knew then it really wasn't the right atmosphere for me even though I absolutely loved Bristol as a city.
Reply 69
LSE - i really wanted to like it, but was generally really disappointed :frown:
Queen Mary London - may have partly been because it was a bit of a building site when i went.

Generally though, the London uni's weren't for me which was a shame
Reply 70
Original post by Claire888
Kent and Dundee, both were supposed to be insurance places but I really didn't like it at either. Kent seemed a bit snobby really, and the fact they changed their entry requirements quite late (around october) put me off too and I didn't really like the architecture department it was really dark and dingy in there. Dundee was too far away, was too small a town and the head of the department seemed to be really anti-English

Hell if you thought Dundee was too small I don't know how you would have coped with Canterbury. Even when Scottish people are trying to be friendly they can seem threatening. It's part of our charm. :smile:
Reply 71
To those saying that they didn't like the course: Why?

What new information did you learn that put you off?
Original post by user45854
To those saying that they didn't like the course: Why?

What new information did you learn that put you off?

With me, there were multiple reasons why I didn't like the course at Herts. Very little information had been given on their website, so when I applied, I didn't realise that you couldn't focus entirely on History in your first year, and also, the modules they offered didn't seem to tie in with my interests as much as they do at the uni I'm at now. In terms of modules, I had the same problem at Winchester - there were multiple aspects which didn't appeal to me, and I didn't like the course structure or the number of compulsory modules. Neither uni had been clear on their course structure online.
Newcastle ... was an early one so went to 3 subject lectures ... all any of them talked about was Transferrable Skills ... no subject enthusiasm ... AND we were not allowed to look around the library because we did not wish to join a full campus tour

QMUL ... worst organised event I have ever attended
Reply 74
Original post by danny111
What does that even mean? And I hardly doubt that you either are an expert in your subject before you start uni or that you know both courses so well you could even make such a statement.

Just comparing the module lists really. They seemed very akin to a-level topics, in comparison to other more forward thinking universities , such as Birmingham, which would be offering stuff on more unusual subject matter such as pre-globalisation, literature, gender, etc.
I hated Queen Mary. Massively put off by the HUGE graveyard in the middle of the university. The uni was extremely small too and it was a very disorganised open day - queue for medicine was stretching a good 200m out of the building an HOUR before the talk... the "alternatives to medicine" lecture was so packed, I went in, got claustrophobic because it was so full and walked straight back out. Ended up not going to any lectures that day, was such a waste of a day...

Very surprised about so many comments on Sheffield! It was raining like mad when I went and I still LOVED it so much! Bristol was brilliant too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by ForgottenAll
I hated Queen Mary. Massively put off by the HUGE graveyard in the middle of the university.

Agreed!!!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 77
It was a while ago now (well 2006/7) but I hated Nottingham uni. Felt like I was on a hospital site or something. Campus unis are not for me!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/i
Reply 78
Queen Mary.

University of Compton is probably in a nicer area.
Reply 79
Warwick- huge, ugly and isolated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending