The Student Room Group

Oxford requirements

I am interested in taking an engineering related course and I just wondered whether or not my GCSE grades are good enough for me to be accepted into Oxford university or not. I am doing my AS levels right now in Further maths, Maths, Physics and chemistry. I would like to know if I got an A star in all of my AS levels whether or not I would be accepted into Oxford uni with these GCSE grades:

Maths - A star
Physics - A
Chemistry - A
Biology - A
Business studies - A
Physical education - A
Music - B
English lit - B
English lang - C
ICT (CIDA) - C
RE - D

Would I be more likely to get into Cambridge uni? what else can I do outside of school that will help increase my chances of being accepted. Will the fact that I have no language qualification like French decrease my chances?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELPFUL RESPONSES!
Incredibly unlikely, particularly the English ones! They want to see a well-rounded candidate, anything below a B for Oxbridge is taking the p*** a bit really! Sorry but I don't think, based on your academia, you have a chance.
Reply 2
Even if i get A stars for all my A levels?
If not, can you recommend an alternative university?
Reply 3
Original post by qwertyuiop098
I am interested in taking an engineering related course and I just wondered whether or not my GCSE grades are good enough for me to be accepted into Oxford university or not. I am doing my AS levels right now in Further maths, Maths, Physics and chemistry. I would like to know if I got an A star in all of my AS levels whether or not I would be accepted into Oxford uni with these GCSE grades:

Maths - A star
Physics - A
Chemistry - A
Biology - A
Business studies - A
Physical education - A
Music - B
English lit - B
English lang - C
ICT (CIDA) - C
RE - D

Would I be more likely to get into Cambridge uni? what else can I do outside of school that will help increase my chances of being accepted. Will the fact that I have no language qualification like French decrease my chances?

you cant get an A* in AS. Gcse grades aren't very important what's more important to them is that you achieve the right grades at A-level and have a good interview(if they do interview you)
Maybe if you got A*A*A* and applied AFTER you got them then maybe. It's just that they want to see consistent, competitive grades and lots of people do have those top grades.

I would recommend checking out the Complete Uni Guide, and looking in the region of uni's ranked between 5-15, great uni's, better chances.
Reply 5
Original post by EccentricGeek
Incredibly unlikely, particularly the English ones! They want to see a well-rounded candidate, anything below a B for Oxbridge is taking the p*** a bit really! Sorry but I don't think, based on your academia, you have a chance.

:lol: your silly, They are many people who got into oxford and cambridge with not so good gcses (1A* 5B 3C's) and the C's being in english. Gcse's aren't the deciding factor just because your gcse's weren't superb doesn't mean you cannot get into oxbridge. It all depends on your A-level perfomance and interview perfomance(and test perfomance if they do one). When it comes to engineering prestige doesnt mean **** it's all about an individuals experience in the field (work experience, year in industry etc) and whether your degree was accredited by the right engineering boards
(edited 11 years ago)

Maths - A star
Physics - A
Chemistry - A
Biology - A
Business studies - A
Physical education - A
Music - B
English lit - B
English lang - C
ICT (CIDA) - C
RE - D

I don't know much about Cambridge, but Oxford tries to 'contextualise' applicants' GCSE results by comparing them with the average for their school. So even though you don't have As and A*s across the board, you may still have a chance if your results were significantly above average for your year group. Still, I wouldn't pin my hopes on Oxbridge if I were you. Investigate some other unis that don't put so much weight on GCSE grades - the Engineering forum may be able to help.
Reply 7
Cambridge would probably be a better bet. Oxford don't see your AS module marks, only the overall grade, whereas Cambridge do. So if you achieved really high UMS, Cambridge will know and will be more likely to offer you a place on that. Oxford care more about GCSEs.
Your GCSEs are probably a bit too low! Also, there is no A* grade at AS - only at A2.
If you get extremely high module marks at AS, you may have a chance at Cambridge as they actually look at every module mark - oxford doesn't. Therefore, Cambridge may place more emphasis on your most recent achievements (AS module marks) rather than older grades (GCSE). However, they would expect an incredibly good reason at interview for why your GCSEs were so low.
Also, bear in mind that AS and A levels are much harder than GCSE - if you're struggling at GCSE, you're unlikely to go up that many grades at AS level.
Reply 9
GCSE's don't matter. Just get good grades at A Level.
The only time GCSE's will matter is the very rare chance that everyone gets straight A*'s, performs perfectly on the entry exam and performs phenomenally in the interview .... THEN they would consider GCSE's.
Reply 10
Thanks everyone. I heard somewhere that you can only apply for either Cambridge or Oxford but not both. From what you've all told me there seems to be more chance of me getting into Cambridge than Oxford so I think ill try to apply there when its time to. thecompleteuniversityguide website also recommended Cambridge over Oxford.

Am I right in saying there's no harm in applying for Oxbridge even if my chances are very low and I get rejected?

what can I do to increase chances of getting into a good uni?
Reply 11
Apart from good grades, relevant work experience, extra curricular activities, things like that to make you stand out as an applicant. What is it you wish to study?
Reply 12
I'm not entirely sure but I think its going to be something engineering related.

just wondering, how many of you who have replyed have studied at oxbridge or are studying there now?
Thanks everyone. I heard somewhere that you can only apply for either Cambridge or Oxford but not both. From what you've all told me there seems to be more chance of me getting into Cambridge than Oxford so I think ill try to apply there when its time to. thecompleteuniversityguide website also recommended Cambridge over Oxford.

Am I right in saying there's no harm in applying for Oxbridge even if my chances are very low and I get rejected?

Wait until your AS results come out. If you have 95%+ in most of your modules, then yes, you still have a chance at going for Cambridge. If you've only just scraped As, or have any lower grades, you haven't got much of a chance, even if you have extenuating circumstances as you don't have good GCSE grades to fall back on. There's no real harm in applying for Oxbridge, but don't pin all your hopes on it - it'll take up one of your choices on your UCAS form, so don't bother if your ASs are awful.
To increase your chances of getting into a good uni, read widely around your subject, GET GOOD GRADES, go to extension workshops / the 'engineering society' / whatever else your school has to explore around the subject, go on lots of relevant school trips, do competitions such as the Maths Challenge, what about http://www.britishscienceassociation.org/national-science-engineering-competition (create a science/ engineering/ maths project), apply for loads of summer schools (look at Headstart, UNIQ, Sutton Trust websites for more info), prepare well for admissions tests / interviews.
Also, make sure you are taking strong subjects - such as Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Further Maths, perhaps a language.
I'm not entirely sure but I think its going to be something engineering related.

just wondering, how many of you who have replyed have studied at oxbridge or are studying there now?

I've just sent in my application for NatSci at Cambridge.

My chances are pretty low and I'm still going for Oxford :biggrin: At the end of the day it's only one choice on your UCAS form and if you want to go there, why not? You never really know what will happen :smile: Although, only go for it I would say if your AS results are good, and your personal statement is really good and is ready by early October, as it isn't worth sending off your UCAS form before it's the best it can be just because of one of your university options!

In terms of standing out I think your best bet is to make sure you have an amazing personal statement :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending