The Student Room Group

Career prospects: Scandinavian studies

I'm currently in my first year of Civil Engineering, but I'm not enjoying my course at all, because of the lack of arts.

I was thinking of aplying for Scandinavian studies in some universities, and then decide later wheter I will continue my Engineering course or not.
But I need more information.
What career prospects can I expect? Is it possible to have a job combining passion and a good salary?
I'm usually very good with languages and Nordic languages attract me a lot .

I was very excited about Civil engineering, the course is maybe not representative of the job itself, but I don't want to waste 4 years of my life just for a job.
With Scandinavian studies, is it possible to have some exciting careers?

Thank you
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi. I am a big fan of scandinavian culture too and I'm glad to share some experience. I've started norwegian when I was 16, it happened by an accident though. Our school offered free courses and I was like: yeah, why not? Then I realised I was more and more into it. I even wanted to study in norway but changed my mind - it was too expensive. You said you were not that good at picking languages? Do not worry about it. Scandinavian languages are closely related to english and easy to learn. Also, job prospects are very good. There are relatively small amount of grads and these langauges are in high demand, esp in uk. I remember reading an article where a businessman claimed he couldn't fine anyone to hire for his project because no one could speak scandinavian. So do what you want to. I know so many science grads who ended up doing nothing what they studied...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending