The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Right! To play DA, why do you want to study medicine?

I always get very suspicious of people who are trying to decide between medicine and law... Are you considering them as options because they both appeal (and if so, why do they both appeal?), or are you at one of those schools whereby the mantra is 'Oh, you're a top A-Level student, therefore you can only apply to medicine, law or OxBridge'?
Reply 21
Renal
1. The promise of sex with nurses.

Not the rumour I heard, darling :wink:
Fluffy

I always get very suspicious of people who are trying to decide between medicine and law... Are you considering them as options because they both appeal (and if so, why do they both appeal?), or are you at one of those schools whereby the mantra is 'Oh, you're a top A-Level student, therefore you can only apply to medicine, law or OxBridge'?

Don't be too suspicious! Well, personally I have interests lying in both.
Reply 23
No Future
Don't be too suspicious! Well, personally I have interests lying in both.

Why - what draws you to both?

I've seen lots of medical students only doing medicine for hte above reason. I'm sure every medic on here will tell you that they know someone doing medicine because they had AAA predictions and liked science, but actually they would have loved to have been a Speech and Language Therapist, a botanist etc...
Fluffy
Why - what draws you to both?

I've seen lots of medical students only doing medicine for hte above reason. I'm sure every medic on here will tell you that they know someone doing medicine because they had AAA predictions and liked science, but actually they would have loved to have been a Speech and Language Therapist, a botanist etc...

It swings more in the way of medicine than law. I had discarded law for a while, but worries about medicine have made me reconsider it. I was pretty certain about medicine for a while.

Medicine:

The subject really does interest me. I like finding out about illnesses, the causes and the treatments and why/how they work. I believe I am a compassionate person and feel a want to help people. Reading about new medical developments is interesting. I find it hard to put into words precisely how I feel about it, but there is a strong urge to do this.

Law:

I enjoy debating, reasoning and analysis of sources. (Not much really to say here).
Reply 25
Fluffy

I have to say, while I never even considered law at school, now that I've taken my medical law course, if medicine doesn't work out, it is an option I'd consider. Guess that's slightly different though.
Reply 26
No Future
It swings more in the way of medicine than law. I had discarded law for a while, but worries about medicine have made me reconsider it. I was pretty certain about medicine for a while.

Medicine:

The subject really does interest me. I like finding out about illnesses, the causes and the treatments and why/how they work. I believe I am a compassionate person and feel a want to help people. Reading about new medical developments is interesting. I find it hard to put into words precisely how I feel about it, but there is a strong urge to do this.

Law:

I enjoy debating, reasoning and analysis of sources. (Not much really to say here).

Then, IMHO you sound like a medic, not a law monkey - 'debating, reasoning and analysis of sources' are all intrinsic to medicine...
Reply 27
highly competitive people look for competitive jobs to be put to the test, naturally medicine and law are a couple that would pop into your head :P
Reply 28
Helenia
I have to say, while I never even considered law at school, now that I've taken my medical law course, if medicine doesn't work out, it is an option I'd consider. Guess that's slightly different though.

Medicial law facinates me too, as does PI and professional negligence to a certain extent. I don't feel the same about Tort, Landlord and Tenent, European/comparative, company and partnership etc... :smile:
Reply 29
Mangaroo
highly competitive people look for competitive jobs to be put to the test, naturally medicine and law are a couple that would pop into your head :P

Medicine is more than that though - much more...
Fluffy
Then, IMHO you sound like a medic, not a law monkey - 'debating, reasoning and analysis of sources' are all intrinsic to medicine...

That is somewhat reassuring.

I forgot to add about law: in history we have studied the political impact of different laws etc which I find interesting (I hesitate to say fascinating) and I also am keen on politics.
Reply 31
Fluffy
Medicine is more than that though - much more...

so is law, but its a starting point, then they figure which one they want to do by talking to people and doing work experience. thats probbly the best way to go about it
Reply 32
Mangaroo
so is law, but its a starting point, then they figure which one they want to do by talking to people and doing work experience. thats probbly the best way to go about it

Why are medicine and law perceived as being challenging? No one pushes people into being a rocket scientist, or a nuclear fusion expert :wink:

I rather think it has nothing to do with the challenge in people who seek out 'either/or' career, but has more to do with the expected financial reward...
Reply 33
Fluffy
Why are medicine and law perceived as being challenging? No one pushes people into being a rocket scientist, or a nuclear fusion expert :wink:

I rather think it has nothing to do with the challenge in people who seek out 'either/or' career, but has more to do with the expected financial reward...

I know of one interviewer at our place who often asks interviewees 'Why medicine and not law', answers of 'because I like science' don't tend to go down well :wink:
Reply 34
more chance of reward in Law. I never really considered it although I know I would enjoy it to some exten, espcially the philosophical side. Hate the idea of it being for personal gain though, the actually process of winning a case for the sake of winning rather than for true justice. I want my life to be worth while to humanity rather than for personal gain. I want to sit around at the end of my life and think 'I've had some low times, I havn't always been well off, but I've done well and I've changed lives for the better'. Rather than 'I've got lots of money, I've won x cases'.
Reply 35
Fluffy

i think people think its competitive for two reasons,

1) lots of people do it already, and more a looking to go into the field
2) these people are intelligent and are in a demanding job

naturally people will want to be the best that they can (like any scientist or economist or basically every single field there is). But the reason people will instantly think of medicine and law is because they think of the reputation of most pure scientists and the kind of work they do, and its not exactly most teenagers' ideal

i think very few people go into law or medicine for money, of course it plays a role in choosing your career, you'd be silly not to consider it, but if someone was going for pure financial gain and wanted a challenge, they'd do economcis.

similarities:
essential communication
opportunity to help people
working in a team
commitment required

I thought a keen scientific interest is a very good reason to distinguish between law and medicine as a career. obviously not the only, but certainly a main reason.
Reply 36
Anathema
more chance of reward in Law. I never really considered it although I know I would enjoy it to some exten, espcially the philosophical side. Hate the idea of it being for personal gain though, the actually process of winning a case for the sake of winning rather than for true justice. I want my life to be worth while to humanity rather than for personal gain. I want to sit around at the end of my life and think 'I've had some low times, I havn't always been well off, but I've done well and I've changed lives for the better'. Rather than 'I've got lots of money, I've won x cases'.

going of to work in a free clinic in africa i take it? :smile:
Reply 37
Mangaroo
i think people think its competitive for two reasons,

1) lots of people do it already, and more a looking to go into the field
2) these people are intelligent and are in a demanding job

naturally people will want to be the best that they can (like any scientist too). But the reason people will instantly think of medicine and law is because of the reputation of most pure scientists and the kind of work they do, and its not exactly most teenagers' ideal

i think very few people go into law or medicine for money, of course it plays a role in choosing your career, you'd be silly not to consider it, but if someone was going for pure financial gain and wanted a challenge, they'd do economcis.

similarities:
essential communication
opportunity to help people
working in a team
commitment required

I thought a keen scientific interest is a very good reason to distinguish between law and medicine as a career. obviously not the only, but certainly a main reason.

Medicine isn't an academic challenge...

And from what I've seen, for every person helped, lawyers screw at least 1 person :wink:
Reply 38
depends how far you want to take medicine, and their are many types of challenges :smile:
Reply 39
Mangaroo
depends how far you want to take medicine, and their are many types of challenges :smile:

Medicine is not an academic challenge...

Latest

Trending

Trending