The Student Room Group

A Level help?

Hey, I'm kind of new here haha,

But, anyway I'm extremely worried that I'm not going to get into sixth form, due to the fact I might not get a C in maths. I'm predicted an A in English, B in Additional Science (I already have a C in CORE) B in PE, C in Art, A* in Health and Social Care, C in RE, A in IT and a C in History. I actually want to be a Police Officer, or a Counsellor. So for my A level options, I thought of choosing; Law, Psychology, PE and Chemistry.

Apparently you have to have at least 5 A*-C including Maths and English to get in Sixth Form. That's all I know because my school hasn't gave me or other students much guidance. So does anyone know if you actually have to have at least a C in Maths? I'm seriously worried...
Reply 1
If your school says you need at least 5 A*-C grades including Maths and English, you need 5 A*-C grades including Maths and English. This can't be put any other way really, and not every school is the same. (My sixth form requires 9 B grades)

I don't see how you expect the users of TSR to tell you what YOUR school's requirements are; you can easily enough find that out for yourself.

If you want an opinion on whether or not "5 A*-C grades including Maths" means you need an A*-C grade in maths, then yes, it would appear so.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
That's not strictly true. I needed six B's (and a C in Maths and English) to get into my chosen 6th form, my own school had no requirements. (It was a terrible, failing school though).

You're good at English, have you considered doing that instead of, say, Law or PE? Those two would be your less attractive choices.

Do work hard on your maths though as having less than a C will hold you back in many areas including some 6th forms, but also university and job applications. Check what minimums the police force require, and also check what counselling courses require. Psychology at university for example requires at least a C, often a B at GCSE Maths.
Reply 3
Are your school force-feeding you foundation? because that never worked for me perhaps higher maths might be better, Are you revising? Are you checking homework with your teachers? Are you making your own time to study maths? Its YOU who decides the future, if you focus on all your attention on your other subjects your going to neglect maths. Also right now I'm going to say chemistry alevel requires ALOT of maths so get used to that if you do get your C
Reply 4
Original post by aliluvschoc
That's not strictly true. I needed six B's (and a C in Maths and English) to get into my chosen 6th form, my own school had no requirements. (It was a terrible, failing school though).

You're good at English, have you considered doing that instead of, say, Law or PE? Those two would be your less attractive choices.

Do work hard on your maths though as having less than a C will hold you back in many areas including some 6th forms, but also university and job applications. Check what minimums the police force require, and also check what counselling courses require. Psychology at university for example requires at least a C, often a B at GCSE Maths.

Thanks! I was thinking of English, but I'll have to see, haha. A lot of people who I have talked to, have said that GCSEs didn't really matter, so I ended up being really confused lmao
Reply 5
Original post by Aquar
If your school says you need at least 5 A*-C grades including Maths and English, you need 5 A*-C grades including Maths and English. This can't be put any other way really, and not every school is the same. (My sixth form requires 9 B grades)

I don't see how you expect the users of TSR to tell you what YOUR school's requirements are; you can easily enough find that out for yourself.

If you want an opinion on whether or not "5 A*-C grades including Maths" means you need an A*-C grade in maths, then yes, it would appear so.

Sorry, I was just mega confused since people at school have been saying it doesn't matter if you don't get a C in maths.
Reply 6
In most schools you need a C in english and maths. If you are finding maths hard, get a tutor to help you and just try and do extra work for maths. You should be able to get a C in maths surely.
Reply 7
Original post by Robbie242
Are your school force-feeding you foundation? because that never worked for me perhaps higher maths might be better, Are you revising? Are you checking homework with your teachers? Are you making your own time to study maths? Its YOU who decides the future, if you focus on all your attention on your other subjects your going to neglect maths. Also right now I'm going to say chemistry alevel requires ALOT of maths so get used to that if you do get your C

Yeah they sadly are! I'm retaking it, I did the maths GCSE throughout years 9 and 10, and I got a D. So they put me in to do the linear paper. I asked to do higher, and they refused, which is annoying, because I feel I should of had the right to decide if I wanted to do higher or foundation. I plan on doing a lot of revision next week.
Reply 8
Original post by Hannahk17
Yeah they sadly are! I'm retaking it, I did the maths GCSE throughout years 9 and 10, and I got a D. So they put me in to do the linear paper. I asked to do higher, and they refused, which is annoying, because I feel I should of had the right to decide if I wanted to do higher or foundation. I plan on doing a lot of revision next week.
Really stupid, they put me on the higher ''trying to get a c class'' and I got a B, Higher requires 52/200 marks for a C, also without putting me on higher I wouldn't be scoring 100% in alevel maths after failing to get a C twice in march and November entries, In June finally nailed it and enjoying alevel maths!
Reply 9
Original post by Robbie242
Really stupid, they put me on the higher ''trying to get a c class'' and I got a B, Higher requires 52/200 marks for a C, also without putting me on higher I wouldn't be scoring 100% in alevel maths after failing to get a C twice in march and November entries, In June finally nailed it and enjoying alevel maths!

I actually found out yesterday that I got a C in maths :smile: so it's all good! I proved them wrong alright!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I actually found out yesterday that I got a C in maths :smile: so it's all good! I proved them wrong alright!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aww well done! Did it much earlier than me haha :tongue:, anyway congrats and glad you got the result you wanted!
Reply 11

But, anyway I'm extremely worried that I'm not going to get into sixth form, due to the fact I might not get a C in maths. I'm predicted an A in English, B in Additional Science (I already have a C in CORE) B in PE, C in Art, A* in Health and Social Care, C in RE, A in IT and a C in History. I actually want to be a Police Officer, or a Counsellor. So for my A level options, I thought of choosing; Law, Psychology, PE and Chemistry.

Apparently you have to have at least 5 A*-C including Maths and English to get in Sixth Form. That's all I know because my school hasn't gave me or other students much guidance. So does anyone know if you actually have to have at least a C in Maths? I'm seriously worried...

Firstly don't panic. Im currently in year 13 studying English Literature, Psychology, Biology and History and when I started my sixth form, I only had a D in GCSE Maths. They cannot reject you for not having Maths C, you qualify for everything else.

I was in the same position as you and when results day came around, I had been accepted by 4 sixth forms/colleges. My sixth form allowed me to do all my chosen subjects and resit the modules that I did the worst and by January I had my GCSE Maths C.

Yes you need to have GCSE Maths C, but its not the end of the world if you don't have it. Just be prepared to resit in Decemeber or whenever the sixth form offers you.

Good luck :biggrin:

Ahh, should've read the rest of the thread :rolleyes: Well done on getting your C :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12

At my school we do have to get at least 5 A* to C's but if you still want to get into sixth form you can but you have to retake the exams while your In sixth form .. But it just depends on how your school runs .. Good luck though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest