The Student Room Group

IB language B choice? Chinese B? its emergent!?

I will make it short:
I'm a Taiwanese student studying in an international school in mainland China.

1.My nationality is Taiwanese, I only have a Taiwanese passport.
2.My English is better than my Chinese, I have always been in first language class for both subjects.
3.I just entered IB this semester, Chinese A is WAYYYY too hard for me, I can't even read simplified Chinese properly and the text and literature are insane, my current grade is 2~3.
4.I got an A for my IGCSE eng lit and A for my Chinese language, however I have no experience in Chinese literature.
5. The school doesn't let me do Chinese B cause they say I hold a Taiwanese passport, and it'd be wrong if they put me in Chinese B HL.
Though last year there was a Dutch student with Dutch passport and did Dutch B and Eng A1.!!? Also a student who was in the same situation with me, however at the end he uses another passport so the school let him do Chinese B.

I'm now in Chinese A2 (super hard still, a group 1 subject with lots of literature) and English A1, which I fought for, I find English A1 easier compared to Chinese A2, and I can get a higher score on it.
My question is, will the universities which I apply to in the future care about my group two choice towards to my nationality? Will they think its not right for a Taiwanese person to do Chinese B and English A and reject me?
Please serious answers, this is really important to me.
Reply 1
Hey, I'm also a fellow Taiwanese. In MYP, I did pretty bad with Mandarin A and it was just too stressful, and I always had my tutor to help me around especially when writing Chinese essays. However, I was lucky enough to move down to IB HL Mandarin B. If you're asking my thoughts about it, I would say it's pretty laid back and easy for now, especially since the essays are now a minimum of 480, compared to last year for Mandarin A which was over 1500 words. However, make sure you study and load up on Chinese vocabulary. I got so screwed over by Chinese reading texts that I didn't understand.
Reply 2
Hey, to be honest, it really depend on where you are applying to. If you are applying to the UK, then they don't give **** (excuse my language) about whether you are doing double language A, if you are applying to HK, then you will look at it more. It also depends on what course you are applying to. If it is maths, then yea, they don't care about your Chinese.

If you do double language A and is ok with it, i mean grades are decent, then you can get a bilingual diploma, which might give you a bit of an advantage, but not a lot really in my opinion.

I do not think universities will reject you like that. It is an international school, so they will understand it. I live in HK, there are loads of Chinese people doing Chinese B in my school, but not sure about their passport tho, but I would imagine at some some of them do not have a non-Chinese passport.

The way to improve A2 is to read more commentaries on line and so you will know how to bull-****. Read more books so you get to understand simplified chinese. It is not that hard once you become more familiar with it.
Reply 3
yea, sorry if I've using bad language, normally I am fine, it's just my English IOC is coming, so I'm a little bit stressed. I do double language A as well. but i actually chose to do Chinese A myself because I like Chinese. In my school, it's the other way round, we are not allowed to do English B, but since I am applying to the UK and HK, I will need to take English A anyway to remain my competence. But still! LOL ENGLISH IOC IS SO HARD. haha actually in my opinion, English A is harder than Chinese A, but yea, i guess it depends on different people. GOOD LUCK! CHEER UP!
Reply 4
I may be applying to France, the USA or the queens uni in Canada, u really gave me some very useful advices, i really appreciate it. :smile: and i have another question, so there isn't a criteria of IB subject choice that is based on the nationality right? They are just based on what the student is capable of and suitable for?

Original post by yayah917
Hey, to be honest, it really depend on where you are applying to. If you are applying to the UK, then they don't give **** (excuse my language) about whether you are doing double language A, if you are applying to HK, then you will look at it more. It also depends on what course you are applying to. If it is maths, then yea, they don't care about your Chinese.

If you do double language A and is ok with it, i mean grades are decent, then you can get a bilingual diploma, which might give you a bit of an advantage, but not a lot really in my opinion.

I do not think universities will reject you like that. It is an international school, so they will understand it. I live in HK, there are loads of Chinese people doing Chinese B in my school, but not sure about their passport tho, but I would imagine at some some of them do not have a non-Chinese passport.

The way to improve A2 is to read more commentaries on line and so you will know how to bull-****. Read more books so you get to understand simplified chinese. It is not that hard once you become more familiar with it.
Reply 5
i think it is not based on nationality, but I guess it is like a grey area. But what I heard was that a lot of people quite good at Chinese chose to do B, and that made IBO set the boundary quite high for B HL, so it is not necessarily easier to do B either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending