The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mrlufc3131
Sadly it's short! :frown: haha, and fair enough! Hope i've got a direct train so that I can have a bit of a sleep :tongue: worried i'ma sleep my way through to london though!

You'll seem tall to me! Saying that, everyone seems tall to me :rolleyes: Hahaha, that would be horrific! You could always politely ask the person next to you to wake you :tongue:
Reply 1581
Original post by khind
Why were you so sure? Were your grades not up to par?

Sorry, only just saw your post. No, I am predicted the entry requirements and my AS results are fine, but my A-Level choices are pretty unconventional for CS, I have no prior programming experience and I know for a fact I made some extremely moronic errors in my entrance test.
Original post by pr3ttyreckless
You'll seem tall to me! Saying that, everyone seems tall to me :rolleyes: Hahaha, that would be horrific! You could always politely ask the person next to you to wake you :tongue:

Haha I know that feeling all too well! Aye it would, not sure I'd want to leave that responsibility down to a stranger :tongue: I'll cope! :biggrin:
Reply 1583
hi guys,
I just got an interview at balliol college for ppe! They have told me that I will only be able to find out my interviews once i get there. They say we must report at the college by Sunday 9th December at 8pm. I have to fill in a feedback form telling them what time I think I will get there.
What time should I try and get there by? Much earlier than 8pm? Does it matter what I say?
Advice would be appreciated!
i was lying in bed thinking how weird it is that i haven't gotten a legit invitation from a college other than hertford telling me ive been reallocated, so i checked last week's emails and lo and behold, an invitation from worcester. SO BASICALLY I WASTED A WHOLE WEEK PANICKING INSTEAD IF PREPPING. :mad: stupid stupid me.
Reply 1585
Original post by Csutimano
Anyone heard about Experimental Psychology for Somerville?

Hey! We're the exact same college and course. I haven't heard back yet either, and it's driving me crazy. I'm an international student so it's all the more frustrating because I need to book flights! But it's officially the 30th in the UK, so it really shouldn't be long now before we hear back. I'll have no choice but to contact them by the time the day's over if they haven't yet emailed. Keep me posted about hearing back from them, and I'll do the same!
has anyone heard back from Pembroke for experimental psych???
Reply 1587
Original post by tooambitious
Sorry to hear that, weren't you geography though?

See Br0bert's post below, I agree Brasenose seem Very quick e.g already given maths invitations/ rejections

I got rejected by letter. And yes, geography...Must have really done bad in the TSA my grades were fine!
[QUOTE="mathswiz:);40418036"]Anyone waiting for maths at somerville?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App[/QUOTE

Yeah I'm applying for maths and computer science at somerville and still havent heard anything :confused:
[QUOTE="Lilmzbest;40425911"]
Original post by mathswiz:)
Anyone waiting for maths at somerville?

Yeah I'm applying for maths and computer science at somerville and still havent heard anything :confused:

I'm applying for math & statistics at somerville and still havent heard anything!!!!!!
[QUOTE="Lilmzbest;40425911"]
Original post by mathswiz:)
Anyone waiting for maths at somerville?

Ooooh competition I've also applied for mathes and comp sci :smile: hopefully we will hear today!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Lilmzbest

Somerville have made their decisions for M&CS, so you should hear before too long. I'm sure the college will be in touch with you as soon as they can.
Original post by Melthusa
1: Yes, perhaps thats your area, nobody at my old school saw their references; it simply didn't happen.

2: Predicted grades are very very important, almost as important as AS grades.

3: Some universities pay consideration to GCSEs for medicine; Birmingham is a good example. Oxford and Cambridge, however, don't really care about GCSEs at all; sure, you may have generically good GCSEs across the board but why would that matter for when you're applying for 2 of the best universities ever to exist? Your GCSE french A or Btec distinction in art is meaningless unless it is directly related to what you're doing with your planned degree.

4: When you actually look at the life of an Oxbridge student, it involves alot more work than sleep. Typically a week for me would be 20 hours of lectures, 15 hours of labs, 2 hours of tutorials, 40 hours of tutorial work, and 4 hours reading. Then take into account meal times, and you have the vague idea that actually, being well rounded and extra cirricular activities DOES NOT MATTER IN THE SLIGHTEST. If anything, being a heavy sleeper helps. For all the admissions tutors know, you could spend your time playing video games, or reading books about your subject, why do you need to put that you have done DofE or sports or charity work? YOU DONT!

I go to Oxford, I do a demanding course, I know how I got in, and I speak to the tutors on a daily basis. I come on here to try and remove these myths and increase admissions to Oxford for the good of my college JCR. Please, do not make me waste my time writing responses to idiot nonsense you've vaguely heard or have an incling about. I go there, I know the facts.

You may have an interview, I don't know, you may be quite cocky about that, but when people who actually know, and are taking time out of their busy schedule to help people such as you; please, do not argue with what we say; we have been through this process before, and we know Oxford; you don't.

I'm sorry but for Medicine at least this goes against what is explicitly stated on the department website. You may be an Oxford student, but I'd be more inclined to believe the official source.

See under Shortlisting:
http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Now, the whole site seems to be very thorough and transparent when it comes to admissions. They've even gone to the trouble of showing the percentage A* at GCSE and how that translated to offer of interview/place. Why would they do so if they're just going to disregard GCSEs?

I agree though that they don't care about extracurriculars for admissions, unless you're talking about work experience for Medicine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1593
Original post by NickGill95
clarify what you mean by that....you mean that's it...no more offers or wait until tomorrow?

I mean what took ppe tutors so long to make decisions. Look at other subjects which also require TSA
Reply 1594
Any St Peter's ppe?

Just give me a rejection and let me have fun.
I got a really bad stomachache while doing the TSA.
I actually ignored all mathematics and pictures though I got
A* in maths and further maths. I am prepared to receive a brutal one. :frown::frown:
Original post by cookiemonsters
Where did you see the stats for international applicants accepted by course? I couldn't find it :/

Goodluck for your interview! Confidence definitely is important :wink: My tutor said to make sure you think aloud and don't be afraid to take time to think. You won't have an answer for everything so don't panic if you don't know anything. Just pay attention to what they ask you, and show them your thought processes and how you argue/work things out. If you're already at an interview stage, I'm sure you have the academic capability, you just need to demonstrate that to them!

Hi, thanks for the encouragement. Here is the link to the acceptance rates of medicine at oxford. The bottom part of the webpage is the part that mentions the acceptance rate for int'l students last year.

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/a100statistics

Also although Oxford is an international university, unfortunately, the UK government has restricted the no. of int'l students studying medicine in oxford to only 14 places at most. Here's the link:

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/applying/international

Original post by E.Morgie
Well done on your offer! I don't have any solid advice but one of my teachers said to enter the interview knowing that the college has looked over your personal statement and selected you over other people because you already show academic potential (?). It sounded more inspirational when he said it but just remember that getting to the interview stage should be a reflection on your intelligence already and don't be nervous!

Thanks for the encouragement:wink:

Original post by kungu.panda
Hey, I'm at Somerville at the moment. Not too sure about the stats but I know a few medical students who are international. I wouldn't get too hung up on all the stats... no one here does!

I'm helping out with interviews so see you in a few weeks!
Wow. Good to know. Could i pm you to ask you some things about accomodation and stuff?

I guess that's what happens when you apply to study medicine at oxford. For a brit, it's already hard enough to get into oxford. For an int'l student, it's even harder to get into oxford. To try to get a place at oxford for medicine, it is almost impossible for int'l students......... For me to get a place at oxford to study medicine is almost like striking the lottery.
Reply 1596
Original post by Seaweed840220
I'm applying for French and Beginner Russian. So if I haven't gotten anything yet it doesn't mean my rejection letter is coming by mail right now?

Sorry, I can't remember if I already replied to this, no, if you haven't heard that it doesn't mean you're rejected because I think all international students are done by email to make sure it doesn't get lost in the post and things. Have you heard anything yet? :biggrin:
Original post by mrlufc3131
Haha I know that feeling all too well! Aye it would, not sure I'd want to leave that responsibility down to a stranger :tongue: I'll cope! :biggrin:

You'll be fine! I'm considering e-mailing Sarah and asking if there will be available ironing facilities as that is still my biggest worry and I just can't get it out of my head :rolleyes:
Reply 1598
Has anyone heard from St Hugh's re PPE?
Reply 1599
Original post by egdavies
Has anyone heard from St Hugh's re PPE?

None from Trinity for e&m

Latest

Trending

Trending