The Student Room Group

Healthy New You: Your Change For Life #3

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi, I dissappeared at the end of the last thread but have decided to commit more to posting in here!

My aim now is to lose another stone by New Year, as then I will be in my healthy BMI :smile:
I don't really know how long this thread is likely to last, but I have got a "£1 for every 1lb" exchange going on so I can buy myself some disco pants and I want to have them by my friends 21st, which is in the middle on February-probably not totally realistic and maybe even a little unhealthy but I might as well aim for it!
I also really need to start doing some exercise, I just find going to the gym such a challenge!

Anyway, it's my birthday next weekend so I need to make sure I don't go too crazy over it, even though I have got a lot of food/booze related plans going on!

That said, I am a great believer in NOT depriving myself of stuff which I want, and that mentality is working quite well for me :smile:
Reply 21
So I really do think I'm gonna go to the doctors this week. I've been feeling so weak and tired, sleeping excessively, I've had difficultly concentrating on things, had panic attacks, and now I'm feeling short of breath. It's all come on this week and although it's my totm I seriously doubt that's causing it. Had a google and looked at diabetic ketoacidosis (checked ketones, that's not it) and anemia, but I take a multivitamin every day that has iron so that can't be it either. Bah.
New thread! :woo:

My weight loss is going well :biggrin:
Reply 23
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

If anyone wants to start by setting goals for this thread then feel free :smile: I will do so later.

I don't know how long each thread takes but these are goals that I would like to hit before July:

- Increase bodyweight to 11 stone whilst staying relatively lean
- Chin up with 30kg weight belt (+15kg), Press 70kg (+20kg), Bench 100kg (+30kg), Squat 130kg (+40kg),
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Muffinz
So I really do think I'm gonna go to the doctors this week. I've been feeling so weak and tired, sleeping excessively, I've had difficultly concentrating on things, had panic attacks, and now I'm feeling short of breath. It's all come on this week and although it's my totm I seriously doubt that's causing it. Had a google and looked at diabetic ketoacidosis (checked ketones, that's not it) and anemia, but I take a multivitamin every day that has iron so that can't be it either. Bah.

I've got low iron levels, and take a multivitamin every day - according to my doctor, the amount of iron in multivitamins is enough to maintain your levels if they're normal, but not if they're already low.
Original post by Mark85
I don't know how long each thread takes but these are goals that I would like to hit before July:

- Increase bodyweight to 11 stone whilst staying relatively lean
- Chin up with 30kg weight belt (+15kg), Press 70kg (+20kg), Bench 100kg (+30kg), Squat 130kg (+40kg),

July will be about right I should think. Usually last around 9 months, but whichever one falls over New Year (ie this one) is always busier as we get lots of people NYRing!
this calls for a celebration
Reply 27
Hey guys; I am new on this thread! :biggrin:

I am 161cm (5'3) and am currently at 55.7kg (122lb), which means I have maintained my weight for about 8 months.

Because I am not in a rush to lose weight (it would be nice to lose some by summer, as I am planning on going on holiday), and am a year 11 with exams coming up... I thought that maybe I should start with improving my breakfast?

As a person who doesn't have time for breakfast (about 15min at the max), what could I possibly make myself? And what could I maybe take to school? Because at school all I eat are baked potatoes with cheese and beans or a bunch of sweets -- not great. :/
Reply 28
I thought I might as well subscribe to this thread again :wink:
Currently weigh 14stone (the last time I weighed myself anyway) and am 172cm, so pretty overweight :/
My goal is to increase my exercise to 3 times a week, starting from the 26th November. I currently do trampolining once a week but I have a gym membership I'm yet to use! Particularly over Christmas, I want to already be in good habits, and although I won't have access to the uni gym or trampolining I'm sure I can find stuff to do over those 3 weeks.
Basically, I want to lose weight healthily, as my diet is alright at the moment, and the exercise is the problem! Obviously I want to be a healthy BMI, but that isn't going to happen if I don't sort exercise out first! I also aim to post here more frequently, haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cuppa

I am 161cm (5'3) and am currently at 55.7kg (122lb), which means I have maintained my weight for about 8 months.

Because I am not in a rush to lose weight (it would be nice to lose some by summer, as I am planning on going on holiday), and am a year 11 with exams coming up... I thought that maybe I should start with improving my breakfast?

As a person who doesn't have time for breakfast (about 15min at the max), what could I possibly make myself? And what could I maybe take to school? Because at school all I eat are baked potatoes with cheese and beans or a bunch of sweets -- not great. :/

Do you mean you only have 15 minutes to make breakfast? I find porridge really quick, a few spoonfuls of Ready Brek, one tea spoon of sugar, some milk, microwave! Easy peasy, and it's nice too.
Original post by cuppa

Welcome :biggrin:. I find that making porridge only takes about 5 mins, or you could have a yogurt and chop a banana into it, and possibly add some nuts.

Jacket potato and beans is absolutely fine! The cheese is fatty, but it may be okay depending on what you eat during the rest of the day. Obviously the sweets should be cut out, but you could maybe take dried fruit instead- they're still sweet.

Original post by .gina
I thought I might as well subscribe to this thread again :wink:
Currently weigh 14stone (the last time I weighed myself anyway) and am 172cm, so pretty overweight :/
My goal is to increase my exercise to 3 times a week, starting from the 26th November. I currently do trampolining once a week but I have a gym membership I'm yet to use! Particularly over Christmas, I want to already be in good habits, and although I won't have access to the uni gym or trampolining I'm sure I can find stuff to do over those 3 weeks.
Basically, I want to lose weight healthily, as my diet is alright at the moment, and the exercise is the problem! Obviously I want to be a healthy BMI, but that isn't going to happen if I don't sort exercise out first! I also aim to post here more frequently, haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Welcome back :biggrin: Good luck with the increase in exercise, this is something that I would like to do as well so I'm with you all the way!!
Reply 31
Hypocrism's Rowing Lifestyle Change

I've never taken a sport seriously but I found rowing this term, enjoyed it, and decided it was my chance to break out of being below average in terms of healthy eating and exercise.

General aims:
improve rowing times, attempt getting into college's first boat, gain endurance for heart health, have better nutrition.

Current specific aims:
1k row under 3:20.0
2k row under 7 mins
5k row under 18 minutes
500m sprint under 1:33
Multiples of the above in decent average splits ***primary aim***
Train back muscles (no specifics yet)
Increase leg press weight by 40k
Increase relevant flexibility
Decrease body fat and eat healthily

Current standard:
1k row: not timed recently
2k row: 7:16.9
5k row: not attempted
500m sprint: 1:35.0
Multiples: not taken averages yet
Back progress: fast novice gains
Leg progress: less gains because previous biking strength
Flexibility: not properly started

Training:
Outings: 3 per week
Rowing machines: ~3 per week at least
Weight training: ~2 per week at least
Running: for endurance training over holidays
Bike hill climbing: for leg strength and lactate tolerance over holidays
Reply 32
Ooooooohh. New thread, exciting stuff. :smile: Not sure about any new goals as of yet. Just taking it as it comes so far, but currently in the process of making a lot of changes in my life and becoming healthier is one of them.

Good luck to everyone for the remainder of this thread. I know I'm going to need it for my next weigh in on Tuesday. I've been quite naughty this week. :colondollar:
New blog entry, see below!
Wow can't believe there's another thread already!
Goals-lose 1 more stone, then slowly increase calories to around maintenance and focus more on gaining muscle :smile:
Nice to see lots of newcomers as well :biggrin:
Reply 36
Original post by Hypocrism
Hypocrism's Rowing Lifestyle Change

I've never taken a sport seriously but I found rowing this term, enjoyed it, and decided it was my chance to break out of being below average in terms of healthy eating and exercise.

General aims:
improve rowing times, attempt getting into college's first boat, gain endurance for heart health, have better nutrition.

Current specific aims:
1k row under 3:20.0
2k row under 7 mins
5k row under 18 minutes
500m sprint under 1:33
Multiples of the above in decent average splits ***primary aim***
Train back muscles (no specifics yet)
Increase leg press weight by 40k
Increase relevant flexibility
Decrease body fat and eat healthily

Current standard:
1k row: not timed recently
2k row: 7:16.9
5k row: not attempted
500m sprint: 1:35.0
Multiples: not taken averages yet
Back progress: fast novice gains
Leg progress: less gains because previous biking strength
Flexibility: not properly started

Training:
Outings: 3 per week
Rowing machines: ~3 per week at least
Weight training: ~2 per week at least
Running: for endurance training over holidays
Bike hill climbing: for leg strength and lactate tolerance over holidays

Used to row for a couple of years and absolutely loved it! Hadn't done sport seriously before, and it gets you sooo fit! Enjoy your novice year :smile:
Goal: 44 more pounds!
By Tomorrow - 43lbs to go
By Christmas - 30.5lbs to go
By Valentines - 13lbs to go
By St Patrick's Day - 0.5lbs to go :eek2:
Then focus on maintaining, constantly looking to boost my fitness.

Has anyone got any rewards for themselves when they get to their target? Just interested :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by cuppa

Make time. Get up earlier to make your food.

In the morning I make myself breakfast which takes about 20mins, and at the same time I make myself lunch (currently steak and salad) which takes about 15mins. Just set your alarm early.

---

Currently debating making something for dinner. Barely eaten anything all day (some chocolate, an aubourgine bake, and had a few cups of coffee with cream) and my stomach is rumbling and I feel sick but not hungry. I'm also super, super tired.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
I've just worked out I need to lose 47 lbs to *just* be a healthy BMI. Wish me luck guys, I'm determined to finally get this weight off once and for all! I used to be 12 stone, but went up to 15 stone when I had the contraceptive injection - whether they go hand in hand, I'm not sure, but one thing I do know is I'm not happy with my weight..

Quick Reply

Latest