The Student Room Group

Healthy New You: Your Change For Life #3

Scroll to see replies

Im going drag myself to the gym tomorrow, first time in over 2 months: oh dear :frown: i used to be weighed and measured by a fitness instructor there every couple months and was doing quite well but haven't been for ages and piled even more weight on than before so im very embarrassed about going back!
Original post by Littlemisspiglet
Hii, could i join in with the new thread, i know i posted a couple of times before in the previous thread but need to be serious this time and have people hold me accountable! Im 5'2 and currently weight 12 stone 7, so pretty big! I lost about a stone earlier this year, but have been unwell and piled even more back on, and suffering from depression and i think my weight is a big factor :frown: im hopeing to lose 3 stone 7 pounds overall but have set myself a goal of at least a stone by my birthday in february and hopefully this time i can keep it up :smile:

Hey! I'm the same height as you and I weighed almost the same as you when I first started too. So if you ever need a weight loss buddy, or just someone to message, feel free anytime :h:
Reply 82
Hello there, I'm trying to lose weight

Do any of you know whether it's alright to just eat 1-2 meals a day that aren't low calorie? The reasons I want to do this are that even though I usually eat tons of junk food and giant meals (for example, I would need to eat 8 wings, a quarter pounder, chips, chicken burger, drink in one meal to feel satisfied), now that I've started to eat vegetables, which I haven't done since I was a kid, I've completely lost my appetite and just feel generally ill all day, veggies are so disgusting, to the point where eating low calorie meals don't meet my calorie requirements, I don't find myself hungry. Maybe I'll enjoy vegetables more if they were cooked with more oil/butter too

But I keep hearing that eating meals throughout the day increases metabolism, and at the same time that it doesn't matter and that calories in, calories out are all that matter and it doesn't make a difference. I can't really tell, unless it's really obvious, when nutritional advice is wrong, I'm scientifically illiterate.

So, is it alright if I stick to 1 or 2 normal meals?
Oooft, think I'm going to ache from modern tonight when I get up tomorrow. We were learning a new contemporary dance, lots of jumping around then falling on the floor.
Original post by MysteryPass
Hey! I'm the same height as you and I weighed almost the same as you when I first started too. So if you ever need a weight loss buddy, or just someone to message, feel free anytime :h:

Hiya :smile: a weightloss buddy would be great, need lots of encouragment! How much have you lost so far?
Original post by Littlemisspiglet
Hiya :smile: a weightloss buddy would be great, need lots of encouragment! How much have you lost so far?

I've lost 20lbs so far, one pound away from a stone and a half. Mine hasn't been super fast though, it's since the end of May (:
I am re-starting slimming world, I think it has alot less weighing and counting than weight watchers.
Original post by MysteryPass
I've lost 20lbs so far, one pound away from a stone and a half. Mine hasn't been super fast though, it's since the end of May (:

Thats good :smile: i was trying lose weight around may lost abit but then put it back on and more! This time losing for good. I hope :s
Original post by refillpad
Hello there, I'm trying to lose weight

Do any of you know whether it's alright to just eat 1-2 meals a day that aren't low calorie? The reasons I want to do this are that even though I usually eat tons of junk food and giant meals (for example, I would need to eat 8 wings, a quarter pounder, chips, chicken burger, drink in one meal to feel satisfied), now that I've started to eat vegetables, which I haven't done since I was a kid, I've completely lost my appetite and just feel generally ill all day, veggies are so disgusting, to the point where eating low calorie meals don't meet my calorie requirements, I don't find myself hungry. Maybe I'll enjoy vegetables more if they were cooked with more oil/butter too

But I keep hearing that eating meals throughout the day increases metabolism, and at the same time that it doesn't matter and that calories in, calories out are all that matter and it doesn't make a difference. I can't really tell, unless it's really obvious, when nutritional advice is wrong, I'm scientifically illiterate.

So, is it alright if I stick to 1 or 2 normal meals?

I think as long as you're getting the calories and nutrition it doesn't matter whether you have two bigger ones or three smaller ones. Certainly I prefer having two meals (breakfast and dinner) and just having a light snack for lunch.

Listen to your body! If you feel as though you have enough energy to get through the day, and aren't spending half of your life absolutely starving, then it's fine.
Original post by Mark85
We can swap weight - my goal is to get over 11 stone :smile:

The best thing is to get them working again. They probably aren't overworked but moreso unconditioned to the exercise you were doing. Even a good brisk walk is very helpful in getting blood pumping through them and making them feel better. You could follow up the walk/jog (or even just some more light squatting) with some gentle stretching and mobility work too. The worst thing you can do is just rest them because they just seize up and they will not only take longer to feel better but you will also never condition yourself to doing regular exercise.

I remember when I started squatting - after the first session, I had such brutal DOMS that I didn't squat again for a week. The second week - exactly the same thing happened. Then, the third week, I did a bit less and although I was still brutally sore, I went back to the gym two days later and even though I felt like I wouldn't be able to do a bodyweight squat - after warming up and persevering, I managed to complete my sets and the next day, my legs were only mildly sore.

Make simple food and in big batches. I always plan most of my food the day before. For example, tonight - when I get home, I will chuck 500g of turkey in the grill, microwave some frozen veg and whack it in a tupperware with some chilli sauce. Then, in the morning, I put the tupperware in my bag alongside some packaged oats, a piece of fruit or two and a tub of quark then I pretty much have the best part of a days food for about 5-10mins of preparation.

With regard to your other half wanting takeaways - I either do what SilentNinja says and just make sensible choices that fit into my eating plans or if it is midweek, say and I have already eaten or prepared all I want for the day I will just tell her to get what she wants and not have any. Flexible diet plans are usually the best because they are sustainable and help you break out of the 'all or nothing' mentality. Also like SilentNinja, I often get takeaway meat although I get mine from the supermarket. You really don't lose anything by guesstimating calories anyway. People hold too much stock in what is printed on packets when really - (for example) the fat content of a piece of chicken is going to vary quite wildly. Even though I have gone through phases of counting everything quite carefully - a lot of the time, if you are dealing with meat - you just have to pick an average value and apply that to everything and assume that it all averages out about right. The precise numbers aren't important - all you want to do is be consistent so you can track results.

How did you prepare or eat the quark ? As I bought it, but I had no idea how to eat it besides in pasta
Had an awful (well, sorta) weekend haha, but it was so worth it. Was at my boyfriends so quite a lot of chocolate and a buffet at the weekend that was so amazing, I don't think I've ever been so full I wanted to throw up which wasn't nice but the food was so good.
Only 3 days off from the gym though and went back to it today - always find I perform better after rest days, and in my case extreme pigging out?! Weird. Also had a weird day food wise:
Bran flakes & banana
Protein shake made with water
2 eggs & 2 egg whites scrambled with veg, ham, chorizo
Carrot
Eat natural date & pumpkin seed bar
2 satsumas
Protein shake made with skimmed milk - this was a revelation to me it was lovely, don't think I can go back to water now.

Meant to make a big batch tonight of something to eat this week but was too tired :frown: Anyone got any ideas for mince that isn't bolognese or chilli?
Reply 91
I had a good day!

(Late) Breakfast: 2 cups of coffee with single cream, pancakez

Dinner: small beef steak with a small amount of homemade sauce and those orange and honey parsnips

Snacks: cocoa roast almonds, a tiny mini bounty thing

Getting hungry now tbh because I got up late... kinda thinking of eating the last portion of chili. I've got to make the pizza tomorrow so I'll be eating that for the rest of the week :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 92

Do any of you know whether it's alright to just eat 1-2 meals a day that aren't low calorie?

Yes. For the majority of people this is absolutely fine. I mostly eat twice a day (sometimes even just once) and have done so for most of my life.

A large number of people do this without thinking about it and are fine - even though our culture of eating revolves around a 3 meals a day paradigm, a huge amount of people either:

-skip breakfast because they aren't hungry/can't be bothered
-skip lunch because they are busy at work etc. and it is inconvenient
-skip tea because they are going out or just can't be bothered making anything

But I keep hearing that eating meals throughout the day increases metabolism.

This is a matter of interpretation of the wishy-washy and generally inappropriate phrase 'increases the metabolism'.

But basically - this oft cited old wives tale is baseless. Frequency of eating has little effect on overall energy balance.

Original post by Nasher and Basher
How did you prepare or eat the quark ? As I bought it, but I had no idea how to eat it besides in pasta

I only ever eat it as if it were yoghurt - I have never cooked with it save for making a frozen dessert (mashed banana + whey powder + quark). So I just get some fruit and mash it up and mix it through the quark.
Good morning all :h: how is everyone today?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by isawsparks89
Good morning all :h: how is everyone today?

I feel guilty this morning! :frown:
Was my brother's birthday yesterday, and had a Chinese takeaway followed by cake and then chocolate later on. I still have a problem saying no at events like that, because it feels incredibly antisocial to do so. I could do without things like this so close to my goal weight.

Also, since work started to pick up (which is an excellent thing money wise) I've hardly had chance to exercise. It's got to the point where I've had to turn work down, because I've figured it's not good for my health to be working from 9 in the morning until 10 at night- even though I could definitely do with the money. So hopefully I can find a happy medium at some point!

Bet you wish you never asked now lol :smile: you okay?
Was wondering why HNY wasn't in my watched threads.

Got back on the wagon last night after a weekend away with a 5k, slow by my standards at 25 minutes but was good to get back into the groove.
Reply 96
Original post by twelvepenguinbugs
Meant to make a big batch tonight of something to eat this week but was too tired :frown: Anyone got any ideas for mince that isn't bolognese or chilli?

Meatzza. Also fajitas, enchiladas etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 97
I know its a bit unrelated but does anyone have any good tips for concentration? I dont know whats wrong with me today, i have to finish 2 job applications by 6 and i cant focus at all. my brain is refusing to process things. it feels like a big mushy bowl of porridge.
Reply 98
Original post by santanista
I know its a bit unrelated but does anyone have any good tips for concentration? I dont know whats wrong with me today, i have to finish 2 job applications by 6 and i cant focus at all. my brain is refusing to process things. it feels like a big mushy bowl of porridge.

Have a snack and a drink and a little break. Then, set a timer for 25mins and work until it goes off.
Reply 99
so tempted to go and get subway

Quick Reply

Latest