The Student Room Group

Healthy New You: Your Change For Life #3

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emaemmaemily
Last week I didn't make it to the gym because of being stupidly busy, so I'm anticipating a bad weigh in on Wednesday.
Trying to make up for it this week though. I've been to the gym this morning (before working 12-9), will gym tomorrow after work, and will squeeze as many more in as I can.

When I'm anticipating a bad weekly weigh-in I just skip it because otherwise if i get a bad result it just demotivates me :smile:
Reply 1181
Think I might take my scales out of the bathroom and put them in a cupboard somewhere, that way I won't get the urge to weigh myself every time I go to the bathroom.

Just found out we're having duck for Christmas dinner this year....not sure how I feel about this, I do like duck but obviously its very fatty :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by punani
Weigh-in isn't until tomorrow and I have stopped having a sneak peak at the scales since last time I was 4 lb down mid week, but only 1lb down by the end of it. :confused:

I was wondering if any of you guys are making some presents this year or if you have done so in the past? I'm pretty broke this Christmas so instead of getting everyone something really crap, I thought I would make up a little hamper for my adult friends and family and maybe a gingerbread house for my nieces?

Was wondering what kind of things you would like in a home-made hamper if you received one and if you think people will appreciate the effort you've put in or if they will just think you're being cheap?

Also, how do you stop yourself eating the stuff you've made? :colondollar: I can imagine Christmas morning when I have to explain to my nieces that
they were getting a gingerbread house but their Uncle ate it! Lol.

Good job to the guys who have put in a loss this time of year, very well done :biggrin: and I hope those that have maintained or gained a little aren't too disheartened as I read somewhere that the average person puts on half a stone over Christmas so don't all be too harsh on yourselves.

Hope everyone has a good week. :smile:

I always WISH I could make things myself, but I don't have a creative bone in my body, so it never works out for me.

My boyfriend's Mum always makes everyone homemade hampers/baskets, and they're lovely. She puts things like chocolate, shower gels, bubble baths in- not the expensive sets that you'd buy in Boots etc, but literally things that would cost 50p-£1 in the shops. And I much prefer it as well, because she knows exactly what I like. Whenever you buy someone a set, you know for a fact there will be something that they won't use.. for example I never use moisturiser that I get in sets because I use cocoa butter instead. So having something that's completely personal to you is always good!

Original post by coopsyy
Think I might take my scales out of the bathroom and put them in a cupboard somewhere, that way I won't get the urge to weigh myself every time I go to the bathroom.

Just found out we're having duck for Christmas dinner this year....not sure how I feel about this, I do like duck but obviously its very fatty :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I used to do that when I started because I was so enthralled by the fact that I was losing weight, I had to get a sneak peak every time!! I've KIND OF gone back to it now I'm at the end, but that's only because I know I want to see a number on the scale ONCE and then I'm never weighing again!!!! (well.. probably will).

As for the duck.. This is aimed at everyone in this thread who might be struggling..

Christmas Day is ONE day. It's about family, appreciating what you have, and generally having a bit of fun.

PLEASE don't stress yourselves out over Christmas by worrying about what you eat. Even if you do nothing but eat rubbish from when you get up to when you go to bed it's a one off, and a special occasion.

I can understand why you might not want to eat chocolate/crisps etc, and personally I'm rationing that kind of thing to 200 cals a day, but don't worry about what you have with Christmas Dinner, because it's just one meal.

Think about how well we've all done this year. And, for those of us who are oldies, the year before that as well. We will do the same next year! If we gain weight over Christmas, we'll lose it in January, no problem, and the amount of weight we gain will be negligible in comparison to the amount of weight we've lost.

Have a very merry Christmas, and don't even THINK about coming on this thread on Christmas Day complaining about how much you've eaten/drunk, because IT'S CHRISTMAS!! :biggrin: I might even close the thread on that day because I don't want to hear it! You guys have a wonderful time, plenty of time to be healthy in the New Year!!

(I won't close the thread haha I think that might induce a panic attack in me.. I use it as a lifeline!)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1183
Original post by punani

I was wondering if any of you guys are making some presents this year or if you have done so in the past? I'm pretty broke this Christmas so instead of getting everyone something really crap, I thought I would make up a little hamper for my adult friends and family and maybe a gingerbread house for my nieces?

Was wondering what kind of things you would like in a home-made hamper if you received one and if you think people will appreciate the effort you've put in or if they will just think you're being cheap?

Also, how do you stop yourself eating the stuff you've made? :colondollar: I can imagine Christmas morning when I have to explain to my nieces that
they were getting a gingerbread house but their Uncle ate it! Lol.

I think a homemade hamper is a lovely idea. This year I've had some christmas baking experiments so I'd probably put in a few mince pies, a mini stollen, some gingerbread biscuits and some fudge or tablet. I'm not very creative when it comes to stuff other than food I'm afraid so that's me pretty much out of suggestions.

I find when I'm making specific things for people I find it easier not to eat it all - I'll make the set amount and one bit extra (because you have to try it and see if its edible) and am usually pretty good
Reply 1184
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I always WISH I could make things myself, but I don't have a creative bone in my body, so it never works out for me.

My boyfriend's Mum always makes everyone homemade hampers/baskets, and they're lovely. She puts things like chocolate, shower gels, bubble baths in- not the expensive sets that you'd buy in Boots etc, but literally things that would cost 50p-£1 in the shops. And I much prefer it as well, because she knows exactly what I like. Whenever you buy someone a set, you know for a fact there will be something that they won't use.. for example I never use moisturiser that I get in sets because I use cocoa butter instead. So having something that's completely personal to you is always good!

I like the idea of making something personal for everyone but this might start to get really time consuming and/or expensive. Maybe if I make everybody's favourite thing so that everyone will get at least one thing they love and some stuff they like?

I think I'm going to stick to edible things mainly so will probably do things that I know everyone will like. Where could I get a cheap basket type thing to put everything in?

Original post by Floob
I think a homemade hamper is a lovely idea. This year I've had some christmas baking experiments so I'd probably put in a few mince pies, a mini stollen, some gingerbread biscuits and some fudge or tablet. I'm not very creative when it comes to stuff other than food I'm afraid so that's me pretty much out of suggestions.

I find when I'm making specific things for people I find it easier not to eat it all - I'll make the set amount and one bit extra (because you have to try it and see if its edible) and am usually pretty good

I like the mini stollen idea! My sister likes baileys so I was thinking of making a home-made version of this as well but it needs to stay in the fridge once you've made it so not sure how I'd go about this?

So far I'm thinking:

Chilli Jam
Spiced Pear Chutney
Mini Stolen
Shortbread
Something Else?

Do you think this would be enough?
(edited 11 years ago)
La Senza really piss me off. I refuse to believe that, despite losing probably close to 10 stone altogether, I am still a size "large" in their stores, when I was only ever an XL to begin with.

I think they have a revamp when they went into administration, but I don't like the fact that they seem to have halved the sizes! Something about still getting the size "large" still upsets me!

Vanity sizing is so annoying these days: I can buy a size 6 pair of jeans and it just falls off me but someone who is 'actually' accurately a size 10 can fit into it! :eek: Leaving me with virtually no choices so I have to start getting my clothes tailored and altered for them to fit me!
Original post by areebmazhar
Arghh-my dog has been lost since yesterday morning and I'm bingeing on food to make myself feel better. Really need to get my act together.

I'm so glad you found your dog. :biggrin: I couldn't think of anything more stressful, just thinking about losing my dog makes me cry!

Also, everyone talking about baking has made me so excited! I am planning on making a HUGE gingerbread house with gingerbread people. Also, raw cookie dough is amazing. I once had this jus-roll cookie dough especially just to put in the fridge and tear off a chunk whenever I felt like some. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. It never got used to make cookies. But then again, that wasn't the intention... :colone:

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1187
I'm quite similar as that Monday to Friday 7am to 7pm I'm unavailable to walk my dog due to uni and the commute to uni. However, I also have 7 other members in the family who can walk him when I can't. So I just do weekends and holidays etc. But I can see why if you're really busy and don't have other people who can walk the dog, it would not be smart to get a dog :smile:

Yeah, it is good if you have a family with varying schedules who can pick up the slack at different times. It is also good if you can bring your dog to work - a mate of mine is a builder and his dog goes in the van with him every day. It is a bit awkward on some jobs but he can always make other arrangements.

As for the duck.. This is aimed at everyone in this thread who might be struggling..

Christmas Day is ONE day. It's about family, appreciating what you have, and generally having a bit of fun.

PLEASE don't stress yourselves out over Christmas by worrying about what you eat. Even if you do nothing but eat rubbish from when you get up to when you go to bed it's a one off, and a special occasion.

I can understand why you might not want to eat chocolate/crisps etc, and personally I'm rationing that kind of thing to 200 cals a day, but don't worry about what you have with Christmas Dinner, because it's just one meal.

Think about how well we've all done this year. And, for those of us who are oldies, the year before that as well. We will do the same next year! If we gain weight over Christmas, we'll lose it in January, no problem, and the amount of weight we gain will be negligible in comparison to the amount of weight we've lost.

Have a very merry Christmas, and don't even THINK about coming on this thread on Christmas Day complaining about how much you've eaten/drunk, because IT'S CHRISTMAS!! :biggrin: I might even close the thread on that day because I don't want to hear it! You guys have a wonderful time, plenty of time to be healthy in the New Year!!

(I won't close the thread haha I think that might induce a panic attack in me.. I use it as a lifeline!)

PRSOM

I hope people read this. I know a lot of people here have a lot of anxiety about eating and have eating disorders that can be hard to manage but please rationalise what a christmas meal and one or two days of overindulgence is and don't allow it to stress you.
Reply 1188

Haha I used to do that when I started because I was so enthralled by the fact that I was losing weight, I had to get a sneak peak every time!! I've KIND OF gone back to it now I'm at the end, but that's only because I know I want to see a number on the scale ONCE and then I'm never weighing again!!!! (well.. probably will).

so tempted to steal this homemade hamper idea. its so good
Original post by isawsparks89
Oh wow, well it really is fun living out here - kinda what you imagine really, except that bureaucracy has been a bitch re wages and stuff - but if you're funded by the UK you probably won't experience this. Good luck though, I look forward to hearing how you get on, make sure to let us know :h:

In that case, you'll love Andalucia, there's so much muslim architecture around. Glorious. I chose Andalucia cos of going to Huelva a couple of years ago - I would advise you to go there but tbh Seville/Cordoba are infinitely better.

Quoting you from what seems like ages ago but... I got the placement in Seville! Wooooooo so super happy! going out on January 11th for 13 weeks :smile:

now slightly related. I am in Tunisia. They put Tuna in everything which is maybe why its called Tunisia. I finally learned to say ' a bit of harissa ' in arabic.
Original post by punani
I like the idea of making something personal for everyone but this might start to get really time consuming and/or expensive. Maybe if I make everybody's favourite thing so that everyone will get at least one thing they love and some stuff they like?

I think I'm going to stick to edible things mainly so will probably do things that I know everyone will like. Where could I get a cheap basket type thing to put everything in?

I like the mini stollen idea! My sister likes baileys so I was thinking of making a home-made version of this as well but it needs to stay in the fridge once you've made it so not sure how I'd go about this?

So far I'm thinking:

Chilli Jam
Spiced Pear Chutney
Mini Stolen
Shortbread
Something Else?

Do you think this would be enough?

These are really good and so easy to make :smile:

http://www.savethestudent.org/food/recipe-chocolate-truffles.html

Scribbling this down somewhere and just quoting it again so that people make sure they see it. I'm still anxious but tbh I've decided I'm gonna sacrifice some things and allow myself to have others (e.g. sacrifice roast potatoes so I can have pudding or whatever), I think that's the best way I can enjoy myself. Besides I'm not that fond of potatoes, just taking out what I didn't feel I needed for satisfaction in the first place (read this idea on another forum and I thought it was good)

Just had some quite oily tuna and it was good :gah: also, bought chocolate euros simply for the novelty aspect. And the chocolate. Sexy sexy chocolate :coma:
Original post by santanista
Quoting you from what seems like ages ago but... I got the placement in Seville! Wooooooo so super happy! going out on January 11th for 13 weeks :smile:

now slightly related. I am in Tunisia. They put Tuna in everything which is maybe why its called Tunisia. I finally learned to say ' a bit of harissa ' in arabic.

:awesome: hey hey, well done! And I think I'm flying out just before you! Are you flying to Seville or elsewhere? Would've said malaga was cheaper to fly to but had to think again cos, of course, you wouldnt be then taking the train/bus like me....Seville is so amazing though, I genuinely find it one of the best cities in spain (I have a soft spot for cordoba :colondollar:) The cathedral and city itself are like nothing I've ever seen. I really hope you love it, I don't see why you wouldn't. And good luck :h:

Lol it cant be why it's called tunisia...can it? Can it? I have no idea...What is Tunisia even called in Arabic??
Original post by boba
so tempted to steal this homemade hamper idea. its so good

Do it! It's not really stealing an idea, lots of people do it, and I think it's lovely! :biggrin:.

Original post by Mark85

PRSOM

I hope people read this. I know a lot of people here have a lot of anxiety about eating and have eating disorders that can be hard to manage but please rationalise what a christmas meal and one or two days of overindulgence is and don't allow it to stress you.

I hope everyone reads it too- on the odd occasion I speak sense it's nice to have it noticed :biggrin:.

Original post by isawsparks89
Scribbling this down somewhere and just quoting it again so that people make sure they see it. I'm still anxious but tbh I've decided I'm gonna sacrifice some things and allow myself to have others (e.g. sacrifice roast potatoes so I can have pudding or whatever), I think that's the best way I can enjoy myself. Besides I'm not that fond of potatoes, just taking out what I didn't feel I needed for satisfaction in the first place (read this idea on another forum and I thought it was good)

Just try not to worry :smile:. I know what you mean about not eating things you're not bothered about though.. in years gone by I've eaten Christmas pudding after lunch and I don't even like it! Just out of habit more than anything, so I won't be doing that this year.
Just try not to worry :smile:. I know what you mean about not eating things you're not bothered about though.. in years gone by I've eaten Christmas pudding after lunch and I don't even like it! Just out of habit more than anything, so I won't be doing that this year.

Lol I haven't had christmas pudding for years and years, I have no idea what it even tastes like, the smell is enough to put me off.

I think I'm gonna just have to see what we have when we get home and kinda do a 'pros and cons' type list of xmas day (which sounds so massively sad/weird but then I can kinda weighup how good I'm actually being and what I can allow myself). I will continue to run and stuff though (not on xmas day,I'm not a witch). But at the same time, my mind is like "this is your last fat christmas, don't **** it up!" so yeah...I'm just trying to be aware rather than strict with myself. So nervous about how I'll seem though, hope to God there's a noticeable difference lol.
Original post by LabyrinthWonder
I'm so glad you found your dog. :biggrin: I couldn't think of anything more stressful, just thinking about losing my dog makes me cry!

Also, everyone talking about baking has made me so excited! I am planning on making a HUGE gingerbread house with gingerbread people. Also, raw cookie dough is amazing. I once had this jus-roll cookie dough especially just to put in the fridge and tear off a chunk whenever I felt like some. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. It never got used to make cookies. But then again, that wasn't the intention... :colone:

Thanks :smile: I was crying all night wondering where he is, so glad he's back now though.
Reply 1196
Just got Track updated to say I've been given a conditional offer for the course I really want to do. AAA in Maths, Chemistry and Physics. Pretty tough going.

I should be happy but I just feel a little numb. I have to get straight A's in subjects I haven't studied for 14 years!

I'm not bothered about Christmas at all really, if I put weight on I'll do a little bit extra exercise in January.
Original post by punani
Just got Track updated to say I've been given a conditional offer for the course I really want to do. AAA in Maths, Chemistry and Physics. Pretty tough going.

I should be happy but I just feel a little numb. I have to get straight A's in subjects I haven't studied for 14 years!

I'm not bothered about Christmas at all really, if I put weight on I'll do a little bit extra exercise in January.

Well done! I'm sure you'll meet the offer :smile: What course did you apply for?
Reply 1198
Well done! I'm sure you'll meet the offer :smile: What course did you apply for?

I applied for Electronic and Electrical Engineering and Computer & Electronic Systems.

Should be interesting.
Original post by punani
I applied for Electronic and Electrical Engineering and Computer & Electronic Systems.

Should be interesting.

Wow sounds intense!

Quick Reply

Latest