The Student Room Group

Does anyone else hated Children in Need? (The TV show, not the cause)

I really ****ing hate it. I may sound like a miserable old ****, but it's really the ****test thing ever. I'll happily give money to charity, I don't need Dean Gavney and Sid Owen pretending to be Benny and Bjorn from ABBA, or the BBC news team dressing up like Queen to give money. It just seems like its used by a lot of Z-Listers to try and increase their reputation or get back on TV.

Even the fundraising done by the general public is annoying. I don't mean people who cycle from land's end to john O'Groats, that's actually amazing. I mean the people who go into work dressed as a giant dildo or such nonsense (obviously I'm aware no one actually dresses up like a giant dildo to raise money, I'm exaggerating) and their fundraising effort is clearly more about getting attention then actually helping people. Why can't people just give money or make an effort all year round to help others, rather then needing incentives to do it once a year and in a really superficial manner?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
At the high school I went which was attached to a sixth form, the sixth formers would dress up in fancy dress and ask for donations around the school and town centre but its a bit of a false economy because they could have easily given the £30 to £50 they spent on the costume and given it to charity and also asked for donations. They'd raise more money that way.
I think some of the stuff that happens on the TV show is good, like I remember a while back there was an Apprentice special and the money they raised on that was doubled by some rich guy who called in after.
Reply 2
Original post by Luxray
At the high school I went which was attached to a sixth form, the sixth formers would dress up in fancy dress and ask for donations around the school and town centre but its a bit of a false economy because they could have easily given the £30 to £50 they spent on the costume and given it to charity and also asked for donations. They'd raise more money that way.

Exactly. But then they wouldn't get the attention they want raising money that way.
Does it matter that people use it for their own personal gain? As long as the money goes to charity, I don't mind that people gain something from it in the meantime.

Causes don't always need to be carried out by genuine people for them to yield positive results.
Reply 4
Original post by Dragonfly07
Does it matter that people use it for their own personal gain? As long as the money goes to charity, I don't mind that people gain something from it in the meantime.

Causes don't always need to be carried out by genuine people for them to yield positive results.

But if people were actually genuine more would be done year round
Original post by Siman89
But if people were actually genuine more would be done year round

If a person is genuine, it usually comes from them. You can't do anything to make people feel more genuine.

Yes, if they were genuine then more would be done. So the fact that not much is done means that not many people are genuine.

So if it helps to have mascots and "superficial" things as you put it, to motivate people to give to charity, then so be it.
Original post by Siman89
I really ****ing hate it. I may sound like a miserable old ****, but it's really the ****test thing ever. I'll happily give money to charity, I don't need Dean Gavney and Sid Owen pretending to be Benny and Bjorn from ABBA, or the BBC news team dressing up like Queen to give money. It just seems like its used by a lot of Z-Listers to try and increase their reputation or get back on TV.

Even the fundraising done by the general public is annoying. I don't mean people who cycle from land's end to john O'Groats, that's actually amazing. I mean the people who go into work dressed as a giant dildo or such nonsense (obviously I'm aware no one actually dresses up like a giant dildo to raise money, I'm exaggerating) and their fundraising effort is clearly more about getting attention then actually helping people. Why can't people just give money or make an effort all year round to help others, rather then needing incentives to do it once a year and in a really superficial manner?

This is a pretty good rant. I can't stand the show itself for some of the reasons you stated. The Cabaret style dancing nobodies from Soap opera's do and stuff like that. It seemed to be more enjoyable when I was a kid but that was probably because I was a kid.
So they still do short Doctor Who snippets for Children in Need?
I don't hate the cause, but pudsey is so annoying.
Reply 8
I hate the children in need stuff too... I hate it so much.

Mainly its how awful the TV show they have on all day is - its just, baaaad. Then there are the "sponsored x" things.

See, I don't mind giving to charity - I do that. I don't mind people doing things to raise money - like you say, cycling hundreds of miles etc. Stuff that's hard. What I hate are either the stupid stuff that just annoys me or the "skydiving" for charity, that's NOT something you do to raise money! That's something you do for fun.

People at school used to say "omg did you watch children in need last night it was soo good"... wtf? People watch that? I'd rather tear my eyes out with a blunt pencil.
Reply 9
Original post by Hanvyj
I hate the children in need stuff too... I hate it so much.

Mainly its how awful the TV show they have on all day is - its just, baaaad. Then there are the "sponsored x" things.

See, I don't mind giving to charity - I do that. I don't mind people doing things to raise money - like you say, cycling hundreds of miles etc. Stuff that's hard. What I hate are either the stupid stuff that just annoys me or the "skydiving" for charity, that's NOT something you do to raise money! That's something you do for fun.

People at school used to say "omg did you watch children in need last night it was soo good"... wtf? People watch that? I'd rather tear my eyes out with a blunt pencil.

Exactly. Plus its a bit rich from the BBC to lecture on what children need what with the Jimmy Saville scandal.
The reality is the cause needs the attention to get donations.

If for example Children in Need did nothing on television, and posted everyone in the country a leaflet explaining who they are and a envelope for a donation - do you think they would raise nearly as much?

People donate because they feel a connection with the fundraising, they feel involved as they are watching it all happen. The celebrities and tv stars deffinately help, a familiar face will make donors feel more comfortable about giving.

I personally prefer to support local charities, but I can see why CIN has been so successful for all these years, long may it continue
Original post by Siman89
Exactly. Plus its a bit rich from the BBC to lecture on what children need what with the Jimmy Saville scandal.

Actually back in the 80s the Children In Need trustees quietly banned Jimmy Saville from any association with the cause because they recognised he was a seedy character. Not that the BBC should get any credit for that!
Reply 12
Original post by trojan10_om
The reality is the cause needs the attention to get donations.

If for example Children in Need did nothing on television, and posted everyone in the country a leaflet explaining who they are and a envelope for a donation - do you think they would raise nearly as much?

People donate because they feel a connection with the fundraising, they feel involved as they are watching it all happen. The celebrities and tv stars deffinately help, a familiar face will make donors feel more comfortable about giving.

I personally prefer to support local charities, but I can see why CIN has been so successful for all these years, long may it continue

But why do people need to see a familiar face or feel comfortable when giving? Here's a reason to give- people are dying or suffering and by giving money you can help improve or even save lives.
Reply 13
Original post by trojan10_om
Actually back in the 80s the Children In Need trustees quietly banned Jimmy Saville from any association with the cause because they recognised he was a seedy character. Not that the BBC should get any credit for that!

So they banned him because they knew he was a sexual predator, surely sacking him would have been a better idea, or maybe I don't know, telling the police?
Reply 14
I personally don't trust charities...I agree that we should give money but personally I would love to go myslef in person and help the people that are in poverty.Btw did anyone dress up today? In my Sixth Form we could wear primary colours and they are selling things like cake(can't wait to munch on that) :wink: Sooo is anyone else's school/college doing anything??
Original post by Siman89
But why do people need to see a familiar face or feel comfortable when giving? Here's a reason to give- people are dying or suffering and by giving money you can help improve or even save lives.

Because there are so many charities out there, you can't donate to them all. Instinctively you support something you feel a connection with, and for many people celebrities provide that familiarity. Why do you think so many charities have a patron (often a royal)?

Beside that celebrities have to power to spread the word mic wider via social media extra using their existing fan base and rich contacts
The fact that CiN is necessary in itself shows that state support is failing - the vision of CiN is something that the government should be persuing - not something that is funded through charity and so ends up as a lottery won by people in the right place at the right time meeting the right criteria.

CiN Vision
Our vision is that every child in the UK has a childhood which is:

* Safe
* Happy and Secure
* Allows them the chance to reach their potential

Never mind the fact that the CiN website and fundraising IS all focused on the "fun" and not on what the actual money is used for.
Reply 17
Original post by PQ
The fact that CiN is necessary in itself shows that state support is failing - the vision of CiN is something that the government should be persuing - not something that is funded through charity and so ends up as a lottery won by people in the right place at the right time meeting the right criteria.

Never mind the fact that the CiN website and fundraising IS all focused on the "fun" and not on what the actual money is used for.

Too true. It often feels like ground hog day as well with charity appeals. CiN has been going for 32 years and there are still far too many, maybe even more then there initially were, children in need of help. I think it will take something bigger then charities to eradicate the world's most serious problems.
I hate it because Eastenders gets cancelled.
(edited 11 years ago)
I like it when Top Gear do a special

Quick Reply

Latest