The Student Room Group

Another of those 'help choosing A-levels' threads

Hello all!

So, I'm about to choose my subjects and I just would like to hear your opinions about my decisions. Here are the courses I'm thinking of doing at college and why:

A-level Spanish (I am passionate about it and find it interesting)

A-level Geology (Combines some biology, chemistry and a bit of physics and looks quite interesting too)

BTEC ICT (I figured this would be useful in the workplace since computers are widely used in many jobs)

A-level Photography (I need a fourth subject and this looks very fun and enjoyable)

(I'll probably drop photography after AS so I can concentrate on Spanish, Geology and ICT in the second year.)

I'm not 100% sure what job I want so I'm trying to just choose things I'm good at and enjoy and then (hopefully) they will lead me to a job I will also be good at and enjoy. That's why my choices may seem a bit random!

One thing I am almost certain about is that I want to continue to study spanish at university since I really do love it I'm not concerned about getting into a 'top' university though, just a 'decent' one will do :smile:

What do you think of these courses and the combination as a whole? Are there any careers to which this combination could lead me?
Reply 1
Have you thought about maybe taking English Lit or Language instead of Photography?

Also, have you thought about maybe teaching Spanish in England or even teaching English in Spain? :biggrin:
Original post by laylarose
Have you thought about maybe taking English Lit or Language instead of Photography?

Also, have you thought about maybe teaching Spanish in England or even teaching English in Spain? :biggrin:

Thanks for your reply!

I did consider doing English but, to be honest, I have developed an immense hatred for the subject during doing my English GCSEs. Not only am I not too good at it, I find it to be very dull as well. It is for these reasons that I'm not convinced that I'd be destined for success in the subject at A level.

For me, photography could be a dare I say it 'relaxing' subject for my fourth course and it wouldn't matter if I'm not good at it since I plan to only study it to AS anyway. I feel that it'd be a good experience.

With regards to your statement on teaching, I had not considered that before. I suppose I could be a teacher. However, it all does seem a bit stressful and I'm not a big fan of children because I honestly find them quite annoying, even though I am still a child myself!

Thank you for sharing your opinions and I shall definitely think about teaching since I've never really thought much about it before :smile:
Original post by Hazwaz7
Hello all!

So, I'm about to choose my subjects and I just would like to hear your opinions about my decisions. Here are the courses I'm thinking of doing at college and why:

A-level Spanish (I am passionate about it and find it interesting)

A-level Geology (Combines some biology, chemistry and a bit of physics and looks quite interesting too)

BTEC ICT (I figured this would be useful in the workplace since computers are widely used in many jobs)

A-level Photography (I need a fourth subject and this looks very fun and enjoyable)

(I'll probably drop photography after AS so I can concentrate on Spanish, Geology and ICT in the second year.)

I'm not 100% sure what job I want so I'm trying to just choose things I'm good at and enjoy and then (hopefully) they will lead me to a job I will also be good at and enjoy. That's why my choices may seem a bit random!

One thing I am almost certain about is that I want to continue to study spanish at university since I really do love it I'm not concerned about getting into a 'top' university though, just a 'decent' one will do :smile:

What do you think of these courses and the combination as a whole? Are there any careers to which this combination could lead me?

As long as you have spanish you're good to go for any course :smile:

For a good uni I'd suggest dropping photography and replace it maybe with english lit. or english lit. + lang. or another language, maths, classics just something maybe a bit 'stronger'
Reply 4
Hi if you are very strongly wanting to go to a very respectable university I'd recommend choosing at least 1 or 2 of the "hard" subjects such as Maths, Science.
Maths and Sciences can open a huge variety of careers in later life, if you are not entirely sure about what you would like to do in the future, as I don't believe many young people out there guarantee they know what they will want to do for sure.
But nonetheless if you are strong about a certain career path I'd stick with your instincts and pick what you would believe you'd enjoy the most as no one else knows you better than you do!
Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oscar_VII
Hi if you are very strongly wanting to go to a very respectable university I'd recommend choosing at least 1 or 2 of the "hard" subjects such as Maths, Science.
Maths and Sciences can open a huge variety of careers in later life, if you are not entirely sure about what you would like to do in the future, as I don't believe many young people out there guarantee they know what they will want to do for sure.
But nonetheless if you are strong about a certain career path I'd stick with your instincts and pick what you would believe you'd enjoy the most as no one else knows you better than you do!
Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought spanish and geology counted at 'respectable' and 'hard'? Geology, although not a core science, is still a strong science subject (it's not a social science). And languages are supposed to be notoriously hard to do well in, or so I thought!

??:confused:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Hazwaz7

I did consider doing English but, to be honest, I have developed an immense hatred for the subject during doing my English GCSEs. Not only am I not too good at it, I find it to be very dull as well. It is for these reasons that I'm not convinced that I'd be destined for success in the subject at A level.

At the risk of sounding cliché.. Never say never!.. Although I don't think you said never in the first place? Anyhow, my point is, while you may say you developed a hatred for English, it might be a subject that could bring with it unexpected rewards. If there is anything I can tell you about my transition from GCSE to a level is that I hated maths and swore I would never touch upon it in my whole life, and I assure you, my hatred for it was much grater that your hatred for English. Now, however, I find myself loving maths and even doing further mathematics because I love maths so much. Moral of the story; have a REALLY good look into what English can offer you at a level, it may be completely different from GCSE and you may even enjoy it.. While I understand maths and English aren't terribly similar, I guess the principle is universalisable..

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by lebron_23
At the risk of sounding cliché.. Never say never!.. Although I don't think you said never in the first place? Anyhow, my point is, while you may say you developed a hatred for English, it might be a subject that could bring with it unexpected rewards. If there is anything I can tell you about my transition from GCSE to a level is that I hated maths and swore I would never touch upon it in my whole life, and I assure you, my hatred for it was much grater that your hatred for English. Now, however, I find myself loving maths and even doing further mathematics because I love maths so much. Moral of the story; have a REALLY good look into what English can offer you at a level, it may be completely different from GCSE and you may even enjoy it.. While I understand maths and English aren't terribly similar, I guess the principle is universalisable..

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I understand your point and I suppose I may have a read through my college's prospectus again to double check the course's content :smile: thank you for your reply!

Quick Reply

Latest