The Student Room Group

Seriously consider changing/dropping out of uni.

Basically, I am a 2nd year Maths student in Scotland. First year, I was doing Maths with Finance and was fairly enjoying the course but I failed to pass one of the finance modules and subsequently, I had to switch to a full Maths degree. My exams are next week and I truly do think I will fail at least 2 out of the 4 modules, I am just lacking any motivation/love to do this degree.

Has anyone ever switched to a different uni and how well did that go? Also, has anyone dropped out of uni and then rejoined in the later future?
What's the reason for the lack of motivation/love?
Reply 2
Don't. I absolutely guarantee you'll regret it in 10 years time.
Reply 3
Original post by pinda.college
What's the reason for the lack of motivation/love?

Well, other than the change of course (I have always liked finance and was gutted that I couldn't continue it at my current uni) it was just the fact I wasn't enjoying the course. I wasn't enjoying learning about some of the things in my new degree which quite frankly I don't give two tosses about. Probably just doing a pure Mathematics degree is too boring for me.
Reply 4
Original post by Newbie123
Don't. I absolutely guarantee you'll regret it in 10 years time.

Can I ask for your reasoning on that?
Reply 5
I started a maths degree in 2007 and got to the beginning of second year and lost all motivation and love for the subject. I initially transferred university, because I had convinced myself it was the place I was at, rather than the course, that I hated but I quickly realised it wasn't. I dropped out and it was the best thing I could have possibly done. I was affecting my mental health and there was no way I was actually going to make it to the end.

I left, worked for a few years and I've applied to go back to university to study what I should have done first time around.

You need to do what you want to do, not what you think people expect you to do.
Reply 6
Original post by coldhands
I started a maths degree in 2007 and got to the beginning of second year and lost all motivation and love for the subject. I initially transferred university, because I had convinced myself it was the place I was at, rather than the course, that I hated but I quickly realised it wasn't. I dropped out and it was the best thing I could have possibly done. I was affecting my mental health and there was no way I was actually going to make it to the end.

I left, worked for a few years and I've applied to go back to university to study what I should have done first time around.

You need to do what you want to do, not what you think people expect you to do.

Can I ask what you are studying now?

I have pretty much made up my mind on what to do but was just hoping for other people's insights just so I can feel more confident on making my choice. Your one has helped so thanks.
Reply 7
Music, and I'm so much happier making the decision now than I was at 17. I actually know what I want.

The hardest bit for me was transferring as I went straight into 2nd year at my new university but lived in halls with 1st years, and it was quite hard to try and mix with my peers as their friendship groups seemed pretty solid and they weren't particularly open to new people. Perhaps that says more about the university I moved to, more than anything else.

I hope you work out what you want to do, and don't worry about being the only person to consider doing this as you won't be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending