The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Same situation- I guess... Dress smart, be polite, have positive body gestures(no slouching, yawnjng in their face, drifting to sleep)

try not to give 1 word answers
don't stres or practice too much!!

Make sure you know why you want to go to that college, what your future ambitions are and a couple of things you can say about yourself.

DON'T LIE(littleones are allowed if you are completeky stuck or to avoid telling the blunt truth e.g I came here kus your the closest other wise I couldntcare less)

try not to go ummm uuuhhhh aaaaaar for too long.

hope it helped
Reply 2
From personal experience I'll let you in on a few tips :P

Dress appropriately - Dress in semi formal outfit or something appropriate for the interview.
Do prior research - Make sure you're in on the school's activities, clubs ect.
Control your nerves - Obviously you'll be worried and nervous, but try to conceal that and appear confident.
Brush up on personal statements - If you had to write a personal statement for that school, make sure you brush up on what you wrote.
Arrive to your interview place on time - arrive on time, give yourself sometime to get used to your surroundings and chat to some of the students or so.
Answer each question - give each question your best answer :smile:

Good luck ! I hope the best for both of you for your interviews.
Reply 3
I remember I had my interview last year and I froze for about 10 seconds because I was panicing. There is no need to panic, just remember to stay calm and give the interviewer the answers he/she needs. Also, try asking some questions about the college because then they'll think that you're interested in joining.

Good luck!
Original post by laylarose
Hi guys.

I've sent off a couple applications this week and consequently, I've most likely got a bunch of interviews lined up next month.
Do you guys have any tips for interviews? What to say, how to prepare, how to make a good first impression?

Much appreciated, I'm crapping myself! :biggrin:

*Ahem*

Make sure you:

1. Dress smart. Wear a smart dress with nice matching tights OR a nice clean shirt with a blazer and trousers, and with sensible shoes. NOTHING OUTRAGEOUS please xD Wear minimum jewellery, no dangly earrings or crazy necklaces/rings. A smart watch should be suffice. Nail polish is okay as long as it isn't neon :P Hair should be neat, no crazy neon hair colour! Put hair in a pony-tail or a bun at the top.

2. LOOK CONFIDENT. Stand up straight with a good posture, not so much as to break your back! Have a good slight smile, not a big cheesy grin because that can be a bit creepy... Keep your hands to your sides or fold them in front of your body. Don't cross your arms because that looks a bit defensive, and it might give the interviewer the impression that you are NOT happy to be here.

3. As you meet the interviewer, shake hands confidently, not too much so as to break their hand, and not to flimsy because they might think you're a bit of a wuss. Smile as well and say 'nice to meet you', 'its a pleasure being here' etc etc.

4. When you sit down, if you're a girl (yes you are :P ), sit sort of sideways. Don't sit right at the back of the chair, or you'll start slouching. Sit in the middle-ish with you're legs straight, feet flat on the floor, and you're legs should not be pointing directly at the interviewer but sort of pointing to their shoulder (left or right). A bit like how they make you sit for your individual school photo. Keep your hands neatly in your lap. Don't fidget because it can be distracting and it tells the interviewer that you're nervous. :colondollar:

5. When asked a question, speak eloquently, succinctly and clearly. Don't mumble, because the interviewer won't understand what you're saying, and it won't come across as confident. Remember, they're looking for people who will represent their sixth form. I don't they'd want to pick someone who isn't confident in what they're saying.

6. If you don't know what the answer to a question, don't just go 'er...um...' and have a cheesy smile on your face. Just think for a couple of seconds and then calmly explain that you don't know, but are interested in the answer.

7. Make sure you know your personal statement inside out, because they will most likely as you questions on experiences, and other things you've mentioned in there.
They will most certainly ask you:
- Why did you pick those subjects?
- Why did you apply to our sixth form?
- What can YOU bring to our sixth form?
- What are you hoping to have a career in?
- What do you do in your spare time?
- What interests do you have? (Possibly academic interests included)

8. If the interviewer is talking to you about something and it sounds as boring as crap. DO LOOK INTERESTED. If you start looking around, yawning, fidgeting and looking down, you will come across looking like a bit of a douche :L Just remember, to nod your head, smile slightly, and say yeah/yes/ I understand once in a while.

9.They usually ask you if you have any questions to ask at the end. Try to keep a relevant question in mind like:
-What is a normal day like for a sixth former?
-What transport can I use to get to sixth form? Do you have any local buses? The green bus?

10. When leaving, remember to shake hands again, and say 'thank you for your time' or 'it was a pleasure meeting you' etc. Remember to smile!

Those are your top tips from Hannah, the now first year sixth former who was just as worried as you last year and is now living the awesome life doing her first year of A-levels at the best sixth form evaaaa! XD

Welcome :')
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
When I went to my interview it was just checking my predicted grades were good enough, my subjects didn't clash and all my details were correct. It was really casual and laid-back, just sat in a classroom with one of my future teachers. Don't worry about it. :smile:
Reply 6
Eeeep, thanks so much guys, (especially Hannah), so much info! Thank you so so so much :smile:
Reply 7
Hannah, you amazing person
me reading instruction one with split dyed neon green hair :///

Latest