The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

geog at kcl ? good rep ? or is it better doing it at rhul ?

i applied to kings for developement geography (extra) and i'm wondering if it's really a good degree to have. I'm not from the uk and I'm not so sure about their rep for geog. It doesn't seem to be in the top 20 so I'd like to know what you think of it.

would you say it'd be better to do geog at rhul reputation-wise (also going through extr I think) ? I'm not sure what's more important, the dep rep or the general uni rep... what do you think ? i know it's not everything but it's very important to me because I'm not from the uk and i guess there is no much point in doing a degree that is not that well recognised when i can do a well recognised (and much cheaper) one at home. i really want to experience living in london though, but i'm worried about wether it's worth it or not. that's why i want to be sure that if i go i do something well recognised. so to come back to my point :p: , do you think a geog degree from kcl is respected ?

oops sorry for the long thread :redface:
thank's to anyone who whent through the trouble of reading all that crap lol
Go to King's. Infinitely more recognised that RHUL. Not to say RHUL is bad.. their Geo department may even be better (I have no clue though), but the truth is, at the end of the day, King's has a much better reputation worldwide.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Hey bonnie, i have applied to do development geography as well. I had the hard choice of picking king's or SOAS but i chose king's because it seems to have a better reputation, although i wouldn't have minded going to SOAS. Are you still coming to the UK this year or changed your mind??
Ian
Reply 3
Youd have a better time at Kings, Holloway is in the ass end of nowhere
Reply 4
According to the latest Times league table it's number 18 - though RHUL is at 15. However, league tables aside king's has a far better reputation.
Reply 5
I am a foreign student and allow me to say that King's has a wonderful reputation in Asia and North America, which I why I opted to undertake study here.

I am not clued up on RHUL, but if you want market recognition, which we all do, then KCL is one of the crown jewels in the UK higher education scene. After Oxbridge, the only UK unis which are well received globally from my experience over 2 continets (Asia/North America) are King's, UCL, Imperial, LSE, SOAS and Manchester to a less degree.
Reply 6
What is RHUL?
Royal Holloway College, a fellow college of the University of London.
Reply 8
Ah, I have not heard of that. Really outside of the UK, only the following are really taken note of:

(Within London)

UCL
LSE
King's
Imperial
SOAS

I thought it was a misspelling of RaHUL. :biggrin:
Reply 9
hey, im actually takin development geog at kings (goin into my 3rd year this year) and also an international student and really really am enjoying it!
kings is a really reputable uni and i really like the course(2nd year in particular course choice wise) and wud def reccomend u goin for it!
Reply 10
Ian-
Hey bonnie, i have applied to do development geography as well. I had the hard choice of picking king's or SOAS but i chose king's because it seems to have a better reputation, although i wouldn't have minded going to SOAS. Are you still coming to the UK this year or changed your mind??
Ian

yeah i'm going :biggrin: !!!

it took forever for me to get the confirmation though.. they had actually LOST my application !!! I got automatically rejected via UCAS even though they had never even seen my application. I sent an email to everyone in the geog dep and they were really helpful.
Reply 11
bonnie
yeah i'm going :biggrin: !!!

it took forever for me to get the confirmation though.. they had actually LOST my application !!! I got automatically rejected via UCAS even though they had never even seen my application. I sent an email to everyone in the geog dep and they were really helpful.

HEy bonnie, i'm glad ur going. I got into stamford street apartments , where are you gonna be living?? are you going for the geography induction thing?

looking forward to seeing you soon anyway
ian
Reply 12
Definatly go to kings- according to the sunday times unuiversity guide our geography department is excellent, wheras that at RHUL is not.

Latest