The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

University of Southampton Accommodation Thread for Entry 2013/14

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hi, I recently made the University of Southampton my firm choice but I have a few questions about the halls. I was initially thinking of applying for a room at Highfield Hall but I need to be sure it is the right place for me. As Highfield Halls are smaller than others, do they have amenities such as gym, launderette, snooker, TV and computer rooms, Junior Common Room organising a wide range of social events and tennis courts like the ones in Glen Eyre or Wessex Lane? If not are there any university owned sports facilities near? And one final thing - are Highfield Halls less sociable than Glen Eyre or Wessex Lane Halls?
Every piece of advice or suggestion will be very helpful. :smile:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 41
Original post by PetarMI
Hi, I recently made the University of Southampton my firm choice but I have a few questions about the halls. I was initially thinking of applying for a room at Highfield Hall but I need to be sure it is the right place for me. As Highfield Halls are smaller than others, do they have amenities such as gym, launderette, snooker, TV and computer rooms, Junior Common Room organising a wide range of social events and tennis courts like the ones in Glen Eyre or Wessex Lane? If not are there any university owned sports facilities near? And one final thing - are Highfield Halls less sociable than Glen Eyre or Wessex Lane Halls?
Every piece of advice or suggestion will be very helpful. :smile:

What course are you doing? Unless it is on Avenue Campus I think a lot of people choose Glen/Wessex. Highfield hall is (despite what it sounds), not on Highfield Campus!

I don't know anyone who lives there though so I cannot really comment on it.
Reply 42
Thanks for the quick reply BethaneyJ. :smile: I will have to reconsider my choice.
Reply 43
Im applying for Wessex lane dont know what other one to do. what would be close to a science building im going to hopefully be doing the science with foundation year
Reply 44
Original post by RKAUR
Im applying for Wessex lane dont know what other one to do. what would be close to a science building im going to hopefully be doing the science with foundation year

Glen Eyre is a good bet if your building is on Highfield campus
Reply 45
Hi, I am selling my flat near Boldrewood Campus for 165 grand if you are interested...
Original post by randa23
just a question for those that have already applied for accommodation. When did you receive the student ID needed to log in on the accommodation application page? With your offer? after firming/insuring offer? I dont have one and i received an offer in october and firmed it earlier this week.

i've found it :biggrin:

I need help with this too. I don't have any letters or emails from the university so I don't if I have a student ID/what it is :frown: Any help?
Reply 47
Original post by amyandbeyond
I need help with this too. I don't have any letters or emails from the university so I don't if I have a student ID/what it is :frown: Any help?

I emailed my admissions tutor and asked. You can probably find out who this is from the website. She was very helpful. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,
I am now in the process of applying for my accommodation and am a little unsure of what student status to put,
I will be starting the adult nursing programme in September and am stuck between the options of 'new undergrad' and 'new nurse/midwife'
I was advised at my selection day to apply for a standard contract, so I'm not sure if these status' have anything to do with contract length. Any help would be much appreciated! :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by alelvin1992
Hello,
I am now in the process of applying for my accommodation and am a little unsure of what student status to put,
I will be starting the adult nursing programme in September and am stuck between the options of 'new undergrad' and 'new nurse/midwife'
I was advised at my selection day to apply for a standard contract, so I'm not sure if these status' have anything to do with contract length. Any help would be much appreciated! :smile:

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/accommodation/halls/contracts.html

This might help? Otherwise just give them a call :smile:
Reply 50
Hi again!
As I will be studying Computer Science (Highfield campus) does it matter what hall I choose - I mean Glen Eyre or Wessex Lane for this course?
Reply 51
Original post by PetarMI
Hi again!
As I will be studying Computer Science (Highfield campus) does it matter what hall I choose - I mean Glen Eyre or Wessex Lane for this course?

Glen is nearer to highfield campus than Wessex (so that's good for people who like to snooze then walk quickly to their lecture:smile:) but i don't think it would make much difference as u would receive a bus pass so transport won't be an issue!
Reply 52
Original post by TNTTAZ
Glen is nearer to highfield campus than Wessex (so that's good for people who like to snooze then walk quickly to their lecture:smile:) but i don't think it would make much difference as u would receive a bus pass so transport won't be an issue!

Original post by PetarMI
Hi again!

And wessex isn't that much further anyway :smile:
Reply 53
why is everyone talking about Wessex and Glen Eyre for halls? What about the Small Halls?!! just wondering......
Reply 54
Original post by geebee93
why is everyone talking about Wessex and Glen Eyre for halls? What about the Small Halls?!! just wondering......

Wessex and Glen are closest by far. Small halls are in town and not as convenient. However people do love it if they stay there. :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by BethaneyJ
Wessex and Glen are closest by far. Small halls are in town and not as convenient. However people do love it if they stay there. :smile:

oh right! About how far? Do you know any of their names so I can look them up on the map? It says 'archers road' which wouldn't be too far for me as I'd be on Avenue Campus ......
Reply 56
any idea when we'll actually hear what we've got? I'm on a gap year and already have my results if that actually makes a difference...!
also I applied for accommodation ages ago (like in feb) and it's still just saying 'submitted'
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by rabsi
any idea when we'll actually hear what we've got? I'm on a gap year and already have my results if that actually makes a difference...!
also I applied for accommodation ages ago (like in feb) and it's still just saying 'submitted'

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/accommodation/apply/allocations.html

^^^^ Pretty much every question that gets answered in here is on the uni website somewhere. So that should be your first port of call :smile:

As Soton don't do "first come first served" you cannot be allocated until everyone has applied. The deadline is 1st of August so you won't hear until August/September unless you are one of the exceptions (unconditional, post grad etc).

Read the website, it explains it fully :smile: ^^^
Original post by rabsi

Unconditional's get offers in June :smile:
Reply 59
Original post by dsinghdahiya257
Unconditional's get offers in June :smile:

Ahh brilliant, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending