The Student Room Group

Back Office In IB

Hi...I just wanted to know if back office jobs in decent IB's are mainly awarded to Economics/Financial related degree holders or Computer Science graduates? A friend of mine has a back office job in Risk Management I think at DrKW, and he had a computer science degree from a not-so-highly regarded university...so i just wandering, is this the norm? What kind of universities have a good shot at attaining back office positions?
Also, how does the pay compare to a front office position? I obviously know it is less than front office, but on what do they start on? And how much increase is there in say, 5, 10 years? Thanks, Sunny :smile:
I'm sure some of the senior guys make it to 6 figures. I don't know about starting salary, but you won't be touching the people in front office in terms of pay. They can be making millions by late 20s/30s and back office people will be no where near that.
Reply 2
Singh_87
Hi...I just wanted to know if back office jobs in decent IB's are mainly awarded to Economics/Financial related degree holders or Computer Science graduates? A friend of mine has a back office job in Risk Management I think at DrKW, and he had a computer science degree from a not-so-highly regarded university...so i just wandering, is this the norm? What kind of universities have a good shot at attaining back office positions?
Also, how does the pay compare to a front office position? I obviously know it is less than front office, but on what do they start on? And how much increase is there in say, 5, 10 years? Thanks, Sunny :smile:

Similar starting salary to front office so around 35k, however as pointed out the salary progression is much less. I think the absolute top earners in back office will earn around 200k but obviously very few people will get to that figure. The general rule is that banks will consider people from the top 10 unis for front office and from the top 40 for back office. I'm not sure its necesaary to have an economics or related degree for back office roles either.
what about middle office!
Reply 4
Ok, unis im applying for are oxbridge, lse, ucl, imperial, warwick bristol. Are they all good enough to be considered for front office jobs?
Ok, unis im applying for are oxbridge, lse, ucl, imperial, warwick bristol. Are they all good enough to be considered for front office jobs?

No, at best you'll get a lowly back office position with an oxbridge BA. Maybe slightly better if you get a 1st.

:rolleyes:
Front office at a BB you need at least a 2:1 from harvard or an oxbridge first
Reply 7
LBC213
No, at best you'll get a lowly back office position with an oxbridge BA. Maybe slightly better if you get a 1st.

:rolleyes:

lol. obviously, oxbridge and the london ones should do the trick, but what about warwick and bristol? I dont know as much about them as i do the others.
Reply 8
supernova2
Front office at a BB you need at least a 2:1 from harvard or an oxbridge first

woah. You are joking right?
My friend got into JP Morgan Chase front office, with a First in Economics (with Spanish) from Warwick - she was one of about 3 or 5 people in the 150 people who took Economics that year. - This was mainly because she managed to secure good IB internships every summer, and also obviously because of her first. Warwick is a good university, of course not as good as LSE or Oxbridge for IB, but it is possible.
chazzinio im deadly serious, youre screwed unless your in harvard or oxbridge
Reply 11
ummm...i feel all of you are going to need alot more than harvard and oxbridge if you want to get into IB, if you cant distingusih between words...i said back office, so why is everyone talkin bout front office? thank you for the first two replies....anyone else know anythin about back office from what i mentioned in the first post? thank you...(p.s. dnt jack the post)...Sunny
They guy already told you all the answers and you dont need a lot more than oxbridge/harvard, i was just joking. Just make sure youre in a top 5 uni UK and youll have a fair chance
Reply 13
so in ur opinion, i need to be in a top 5 uni for back office???
No, top 5 for front office, top 10 with something quite special for front office but top 20 back office. Outside top 20/25 I would say its unlikely, even for back office. Unless you really are something special in terms of extra-curriculars.

I would say with the unis listed in your signature, with CASS you'll have a decent chance at back office. Also, someone said 35k starting salary, even if that is true, your bonus right from the 1st year will be much lower. At a bulge bracket front office, some 1st years will be earning as much as £20,000+ (Wikipedia even goes as far as £30,000 for the top end) for the bonus, but it won't be that high in back office.
Reply 15
Can someone just fully explain the difference between front and back office. Is back office more operations of the bank/ less client contact and front office- more client contact, bigger decisions/ more responsibility, more salary etc? are analysts back office? or both? can people in back office be promoted/ advance to front office?
Oh dear

An investment bank is split into the so-called Front Office, Middle Office and Back Office, with Front Office widely deemed as having the highest-caliber employees in terms of intellectual and/or interpersonal capital, and Back Office the least. The individual activities are described below:

FRONT OFFICE

* Investment Banking, is the traditional aspect of investment banks which involves helping customers raise funds in the Capital Markets and advising on mergers and acquisitions. Investment bankers prepare idea pitches that they bring to meetings with their clients, with the expectation that their effort will be rewarded with a mandate when the client is ready to undertake a transaction. Once mandated, an investment bank is responsible for preparing all materials necessary for the transaction as well as the execution of the deal, which may involve subscribing investors to a security issuance, coordinating with bidders, or negotiating with a merger target. Other terms for the Investment Banking Division include Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A) and Corporate Finance.

* Financial Markets is split into four key divisions: Sales, Trading, Research and Structuring.
o Sales and Trading, is often the most profitable area of an investment bank, responsible for the majority of revenue of most investment banks. In the process of market making, traders will buy and sell financial products with the goal of making an incremental amount of money on each trade. Sales is the term for the investment banks sales force, whose primary job is to call on institutional and high-net-worth investors to suggest trading ideas (on caveat emptor basis) and take orders. Sales desks then communicate their clients' orders to the appropriate trading desks, who can price and execute trades, or structure new products that fit a specific need.
o Research, is the division which reviews companies and writes reports about their prospects, often with "buy" or "sell" ratings. While the research division generates no revenue, its resources are used to assist traders in trading, the sales force in suggesting ideas to customers, and investment bankers by covering their clients. In recent years the relationship between investment banking and research has become highly regulated, reducing its importance to the investment bank.
o Structuring has been a relatively recent division as Derivatives have come into play, with highly technical and numerate employees working on creating complex structured products which typically offer much greater margins and returns than underlying cash securities.

MIDDLE OFFICE

* Risk Management involves analysing the risk that traders are taking onto the balance sheet in conducting their daily trades, and setting limits on the amount of capital that they are able to trade in order to prevent 'bad' trades having a detrimental effect to a desk overall.

BACK OFFICE

* Operations involves data-checking trades that have been conducted, ensuring that they are not erroneous, and transacting the required transfers. Whilst it provides the greatest job security of divisions within an investment bank, it is widely known to involve the most monotonous work at relatively low pay [1].
* Technology - Every major investment bank has considerable amounts of in-house software, created by the Technology team, who are also responsible for Computer and Telecommunications-based support.
Reply 17
LBC213
Oh dear

Excellent article, thanks.

Latest

Trending

Trending