The Student Room Group

Maths application/course changing questions

I have recently applied to Edinburgh, St Andrews, Glasgow, Bristol, Southampton, recieving offers from Glasgow and Southampton ABB and AAA respectively. I acheived BBBC(maths, chemistry, physics and Spanish) at AS missing out on an A by one UMS due to a complete bomb on the core 1 paper, I am predicted AAA for A2. Taking up AS further maths. I have quite a few questions really..

Do I have a chance of getting in to St Andrews/Edinburgh?
I know I have no chance of getting into bristol(applied just in case) but was wondering is it worth changing it to maths and philosophy(lower grades) but my personal statement is written for maths and a language. What should I do?
Reply 1
Admissions staff must get this all the time, I got my 5 offers when I got BCDDE at AS but then got them up to ABBC at A2 and got into my first choice, you'll definitely still have a chance

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Don't change, you still have a great chance.
Reply 3
Just stick with it, you never know, you might well get in. The number of Edinburgh applicants will have fallen due to the ridiculous fees.
I'm in my 2nd year at Edinburgh studying Maths, people come from all sorts of backgrounds, although everyone I've asked got As in A-level/Advanced Higher Maths and the IB equivalent. Mind you, there are around 100 of us in my year, I'm talking about 30% of people here. The others might well have gotten Bs. But just to warn you, the jump from A-level is really quite big.

Quick Reply

Latest