The Student Room Group

Crooks Essay help

‘’ A guy goes nuts if he ain't got nobody’’ Steinbeck emphasises the effects of loneliness and segregation that Crooks suffers due to the colour of his skin. Racism was prominent in the 1930’s, black citizens were targeted vastly. In the novel Crooks is a ‘‘Negro’’ and the hardship that black citizens had to endure are embodied in the life of Crooks and his status on the hierarchy of the ranch. In this essay I will explore the ways Steinbeck presents Crooks and his hardships as a member of a predominantly white inhabited ranch.

Crooks is described as ‘’Crooks, the Negro stable buck’’ this quote suggests that Crooks is differentiated from the other ranch members due to his colour being mentioned, this is not the case with the other ranch members as they are not called for example ‘white Slim’, this is shown through the word ‘’Negro’’ which means black, Rather than Crook’s being identified as a person he is identified as a coloured person which segregates him from the other ranch members as colours do not share the characteristics of humans. This emphasises why Steinbeck uses this quote to show how black members of society were seen as during the 1930’s and the views of white citizens on them. Black people were seen as inhuman, lacking characteristics that at the time were seen in the norm which evidently was white skin and this led to the labelling of them as was the case with Crooks which is shown in the extract.

Steinbeck uses colour imagery in the extract by referring to Crook’s as a ‘’Negro’’. The world black symbolically associates with terms such as darkness, wickedness and balefulness. Steinbeck does not target these terms at Crooks however wants the reader to understand what white people associated the Colour black with leading to racism and segregation of black citizens. The white ranch members want to avoid destruction and darkness which may have led to Crooks being isolated from bunk house to his own residence.

George and Lennie’s dream is vulnerable and to avoid the dream’s destruction they must keep to themselves. George tells Lennie not to talk, ‘’ don’t say nothing’’ which support the idea of George acknowledging that their plans can be ruined, Lennie’s childish mentality could cause him to say or do something to cause the failure of the dream as was the case in Weed. As Crooks skin colour is symbolically viewed as destructive he may want to or be able to cause the destruction of the dream which is why he is isolated from George and Lennie and the white ranch members. However Curley’s wife majorly jeopardizes the dream due to her death and the death of Lennie and Crooks is proven innocent however was symbolically targeted due to the colour of his skin which is supported by his segregation from the bunkhouse. Steinbeck uses Crooks in this section of the plot to justify the innocence of black people during the 1930’s as they were targeted for racial hatred however were normal people with diversity in the colour of skin, the dream is jeopardized by a ‘fellow’ white person.

This is what i have so far for my essay on how does steinbeck present crooks. What band am i working on at the moments? and how can improve this this is not my finished essay however.
(edited 11 years ago)
Is this for GCSE and who are you examining body? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by kingaaran
Is this for GCSE and who are you examining body? :smile:

Edexcel and yes gcse :smile:
Original post by Rhy
‘’ A guy goes nuts if he ain't got nobody’’ Steinbeck emphasises the effects of loneliness and segregation that Crooks suffers due to the colour of his skin. Racism was prominent in the 1930’s, black citizens were targeted vastly. In the novel Crooks is a ‘‘Negro’’ and the hardship that black citizens had to endure are embodied in the life of Crooks and his status on the hierarchy of the ranch. In this essay I will explore the ways Steinbeck presents Crooks and his hardships as a member of a predominantly white inhabited ranch.[This is a detailed introduction, which is beginning to show some perception. The introduction to the entire essay "I will explore..." is giving the reader a sense of fluency. You could try and add some stronger analysis to make this introduction perceptive]

Crooks is described as ‘’Crooks, the Negro stable buck’’ this quote suggests [Try and rephrase this, as it is taking the, seemingly present, coherence away from your essay] that Crooks is differentiated from the other ranch members due to his colour being mentioned, this is not the case with the other ranch members as they are not called for example ‘white Slim’, this is shown through the word ‘’Negro’’ which means black, Rather than Crook’s being identified as a person he is identified as a coloured person which segregates him from the other ranch members as colours do not share the characteristics of humans. [This sentence is overwhelmingly long, try and shorten it.]This emphasises why Steinbeck uses this quote [term] to show how black members of society were seen as during the 1930’s and the views of white citizens on them. Black people were seen as inhuman, lacking characteristics that at the time were seen in the norm which evidently was white skin and this led to the labelling of them as was the case with Crooks which is shown in the extract. [Although there are some minor grammatical mistakes - for which you will not be penalised - you are beginning to make perceptive inferences of the text.]
Steinbeck uses colour imagery in the extract by referring to Crook’s as a ‘’Negro’’. The world black [This word is used in the text, so it would be better if you put it in quotation marks] symbolically associates with terms such as darkness, wickedness and balefulness.[You are showing a perceptive understanding of Steinbeck's intentions] Steinbeck does not target these terms at Crooks however wants the reader to understand what white people associated the Colour black with leading to racism and segregation of black citizens. The white ranch members want to avoid destruction and darkness which may have led to Crooks being isolated from bunk house to his own residence. [Detailed comments have been made here but there is much to be improved. The mark scheme is clearly asking for direct textual reference and you have made limited reference here. The mark scheme is also asking for character comparisons and with the point made about "colour imagery" this paragraph would be the perfect place for comparing Crooks to Curley's wife. Through Steinbeck's use of colour imagery, in Curley's wife first scene in the novella, our perception of her are different to Crooks'. You could explain the colours' connotations here.]
George and Lennie’s dream is vulnerable and to avoid the dream’s destruction they must keep to themselves. George tells Lennie not to talk, ‘’ don’t say nothing’’ which support the idea of George acknowledging that their plans can be ruined,[The quote is repeating what you are saying, why not embed it into the text. This will make the text much more coherent.] Lennie’s childish mentality could cause him to say or do something to cause the failure of the dream as was the case in Weed. As Crooks skin colour is symbolically viewed as destructive he may want to or be able to cause the destruction of the dream which is why he is isolated from George and Lennie and the white ranch members. However Curley’s wife majorly jeopardizes the dream due to her death and the death of Lennie and Crooks is proven innocent however was symbolically targeted due to the colour of his skin which is supported by his segregation from the bunkhouse. Steinbeck uses Crooks in this section of the plot to justify the innocence of black people during the 1930’s as they were targeted for racial hatred however were normal people with diversity in the colour of skin, the dream is jeopardized by a ‘fellow’ white person.

‘’ A guy goes nuts if he ain't got nobody’’ Steinbeck emphasises the effects of loneliness and segregation that Crooks suffers due to the colour of his skin. Racism was prominent in the 1930’s, black citizens were targeted vastly. In the novel Crooks is a ‘‘Negro’’ and the hardship that black citizens had to endure are embodied in the life of Crooks and his status on the hierarchy of the ranch. In this essay I will explore the ways Steinbeck presents Crooks and his hardships as a member of a predominantly white inhabited ranch.[You have already introduced the essay. If I was an examiner at this point, I would have your essay scanned through a plagarism checker, as why would a person with such a great ability to write would put an introductory sentence in the middle of the essay? I suggest you delete it.

Crooks is described as ‘’Crooks, the Negro stable buck’’ this quote suggests that Crooks is differentiated from the other ranch members due to his colour being mentioned, this is not the case with the other ranch members as they are not called for example ‘white Slim’, this is shown through the word ‘’Negro’’ which means black, Rather than Crook’s being identified as a person he is identified as a coloured person which segregates him from the other ranch members as colours do not share the characteristics of humans. This emphasises why Steinbeck uses this quote to show how black members of society were seen as during the 1930’s and the views of white citizens on them. Black people were seen as inhuman, lacking characteristics that at the time were seen in the norm which evidently was white skin and this led to the labelling of them as was the case with Crooks which is shown in the extract.
Steinbeck uses colour imagery in the extract by referring to Crook’s as a ‘’Negro’’. The world black symbolically associates with terms such as darkness, wickedness and balefulness. Steinbeck does not target these terms at Crooks however wants the reader to understand what white people associated the Colour black with leading to racism and segregation of black citizens. The white ranch members want to avoid destruction and darkness which may have led to Crooks being isolated from bunk house to his own residence.
George and Lennie’s dream is vulnerable and to avoid the dream’s destruction they must keep to themselves. George tells Lennie not to talk, ‘’ don’t say nothing’’ which support the idea of George acknowledging that their plans can be ruined, Lennie’s childish mentality could cause him to say or do something to cause the failure of the dream as was the case in Weed. As Crooks skin colour is symbolically viewed as destructive he may want to or be able to cause the destruction of the dream which is why he is isolated from George and Lennie and the white ranch members. However Curley’s wife majorly jeopardizes the dream due to her death and the death of Lennie and Crooks is proven innocent however was symbolically targeted due to the colour of his skin which is supported by his segregation from the bunkhouse. Steinbeck uses Crooks in this section of the plot to justify the innocence of black people during the 1930’s as they were targeted for racial hatred however were normal people with diversity in the colour of skin, the dream is jeopardized by a ‘fellow’ white person. [This is just a complete repeat of the first part of your essay, so I am assuming that you accidentally copied it twice.

WWW:

Throughout your essay, you have made detailed comments with some being perceptive. The single comparison you made was specific and detailed. You had a very detailed introduction and it brought some coherence into the text.

EBI:

Detailed comments are good but you could try and make perceptive explorations of the ideas and perspectives of Steinbeck. Make more comparisons; make sure that these are discriminating comparisons showing insight and perceptiveness. Make sure all your points are support by evidence, as some points very supported by limited (or no) textual reference at all.

I have decided to award this piece with the top of Band 4, simply because I feel that most comments are not perceptive enough and don't meet that criteria. In order to achieve Band 5, you need discriminating comparisons, perceptive explorations and perceptive comments showing sophistication in what you say. You also need to be much more critical when commenting on Steinbeck.

I know that I may sound harsh but remember I am only trying to help! :smile: If you read over the comments I have made and tweak your piece, feel free to send it to me for moderation to see if your mark has gone up. :smile:

Good Luck!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Thank you so much over the winter I will edit my essay and could you mark it again for me?
Original post by Rhy
Thank you so much over the winter I will edit my essay and could you mark it again for me?

I will be able to re-mark it. Look at the feedback I have given and just make sure you are making direct textual references, perceptive comments and character comparisons. I am sure if you include all of those you will definatly be fast-tracking yourself to Band 5, or in other words - which you will like - the A/A* band. :smile:

Oh, I forgot the mention that as the essay is at the top of Band 4, it is probably on the B/A borderline.

Anyways, when you have completed editing your piece feel free to send it to me for re-marking.

Good Luck! :smile:
QFA

Original post by Rhy

Very good marking. Particularly good point about the plagiarism checker, it scores extremely highly. High enough to be binned.. although it could be let past at GCSE level, it's not a good habit to get in to.

All I would add to kingaaran's detailed marking is the stylistic benefit of a strong conclusion, that actually answers the question. Could you provide this question for us too? We're assuming your question fits the essay, but it could well be a well written essay in the complete wrong direction :sad:

Let us know :h:
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Very good marking. Particularly good point about the plagiarism checker, it scores extremely highly. High enough to be binned.. although it could be let past at GCSE level, it's not a good habit to get in to.

All I would add to kingaaran's detailed marking is the stylistic benefit of a strong conclusion, that actually answers the question. Could you provide this question for us too? We're assuming your question fits the essay, but it could well be a well written essay in the complete wrong direction :sad:

I just began to think it was a bit supiscous that someone writing with such an ability, would start introducing the essay in the middle of the essay :/

I think that question would have asked about Steinbecks portrayal of Crooks' or something on those lines :h:
Reply 8
I just began to think it was a bit supiscous that someone writing with such an ability, would start introducing the essay in the middle of the essay :/

I think that question would have asked about Steinbecks portrayal of Crooks' or something on those lines :h:

Haha sorry guys I accidentally copied and pasted my essay twice thanks for the extremely helpfull feedback.
Reply 9
Oh and the question is, How does Steinbeck present crooks.
Reply 10
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah

Also no plagiarism here, just an accidental double insertion from the word document (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending