The Student Room Group

St Andrews or Glasgow

Hi guys,
I received offers from both universities for the undergraduate management course but I am not sure which one to choose. I want to take into consideration everything because I am not from UK so I am not aware of some aspects of the universities like the social atmosphere and nightlife. Which one would you choose?
Thank you
Well Glasgow is in one of the largest cities in Britain; St Andrews is in a small town. Glasgow is also one of the best student cities in the country, too.

Where do you want to work after you graduate?
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
Well Glasgow is in one of the largest cities in Britain; St Andrews is in a small town. Glasgow is also one of the best student cities in the country, too.

Where do you want to work after you graduate?

I am not really sure!:s-smilie: All I know is that I would like to work in logistics or in something related with sustainable development.
Reply 3
St Andrews is the better uni. Especially for Management. In first and second you can take Sustainable Development modules :smile:
However, St A is a reallllyyyy small place. Glasgow is a good uni and bigger city life - some parts are a bit unmm grim though. :P

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
Original post by Jackkkkk
St Andrews is the better uni. Especially for Management. In first and second you can take Sustainable Development modules :smile:
However, St A is a reallllyyyy small place. Glasgow is a good uni and bigger city life - some parts are a bit unmm grim though. :P

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Thanks for replying...
I know that I can take Sustainable Development modules and that is really great but I worried that St Andrews is such a small place because I would also like to do some internships during my stay in the UK and I dont know how limited opportunities could be because of the size of St Andrews.
It really depends on where you want to live and what you want to do. I was also wondering which one to choose - Glasgow or St. Andrews and I decided to choose Glasgow for several reasons. Firstly, I am bored with living in a small town and I want a change. Secondly, most students in St.Andrews don't work, less than 40 % I think and I've heard that it is very difficult to find a job there for the place is so small. Also, life in St.Andrews is more expensive especially clothes, shoes etc. I think that maybe the education might be slightly better in St.Andrews, but I really don't want to live in such a small place.
Original post by camdt94
I am not really sure!:s-smilie: All I know is that I would like to work in logistics or in something related with sustainable development.

I'm not too sure about sustainable development, but there is quite a lot of logistics work up here with the oil companies and they do seem to target Glasgow a lot more. I'm not sure how much, if any, difference this would make though as it's only one small area of logistics.
Reply 7
Congratulations on your offer!
I've heard from many people that St Andrews is incredible and that there's a really great atmosphere.
As for Glasgow, I haven't heard of it much- just one time when someone told me to never go to Glasgow because its horrible :s
I think it would be good if you went down to both locations to visit, to make sure you make the right decision:smile:
Just out of interest, what A-Levels are you taking?
Reply 8
Original post by Tasha 11
Congratulations on your offer!
I've heard from many people that St Andrews is incredible and that there's a really great atmosphere.
As for Glasgow, I haven't heard of it much- just one time when someone told me to never go to Glasgow because its horrible :s
I think it would be good if you went down to both locations to visit, to make sure you make the right decision:smile:
Just out of interest, what A-Levels are you taking?

I live in Mexico so I am not taking A-levels!
Glasgow as a city is actually quite nice if you stick to the centre and the West end (which as a student, you would most likely be).

It gets a bad reputation, but that's mostly based on the outskirts of the city (which to be fair are grim as anything)
Reply 10
Original post by camdt94
I live in Mexico so I am not taking A-levels!

Oh! :smile: So are you doing the normal Mexican system?
Reply 11
Original post by Tasha 11
Oh! :smile: So are you doing the normal Mexican system?

Well I am taking a mixture of the normal mexican system and some IB classes. I will have to take a foundation year but both universities grant direct entry if you pass the foundation year.
Reply 12
Hi everybody, I've got a conditional offer for Computer Science from University of Glasgow and St Andrews :smile:. I know that academically they're both excellent, but I will have to get a part time job to cover my living costs, so I have to take a choice carefully. Which of them would you suggest to someone in my situation?

Reply 13
I think that if you don't mind living in a small town and have a place to stay over the summer (if you don't want to live in a small town year round), St Andrews is a good choice. St Andrews in many subjects is ranked high for student satisfaction and is ranked well in the UK.

The problem with internships is resolved if you are willing to move around. As a St Andrews student you should have no problem finding internships.
Reply 14
I am from America and selected Glasgow.
I wanted to live in a large City, and Glasgow is way cheaper than London. St. Andrews is ranked every so slightly higher Internationally, but when two schools are as good as these rankings can be quite ambiguous.

I have visited Glasgow twice, by myself and had no trouble. I walked from one end of the city to the other. including thru the bad parts and I have to say that European standards of sketchy are quite nice compared to the US.... You could get jumped or stabbed.. but here there are parts of town you wouldn't even want to drive thru, even if you drive fast.. I have also seen much worse spots in London.
Every large city is going to have rough patches. Its the nature of cities. Just dont go there alone at night.
Reply 15
Glasgow is Ranked 52 in the world academically and 50 for best college town
Reply 16
Original post by asack
Glasgow is Ranked 52 in the world academically and 50 for best college town

Well academically is based purely on research and nothing else. What matters more are the home league rankings in which St Andrews places 4th, 6th and Glasgow is 23rd, 21st because they judge based on student satisfaction, entry grades, student to staff ratio etc.

So yeah because Glasgow is a larger university it has more research and thus a higher ranking on research. However, for an undergraduate degree St Andrews is the better option. St Andrews grads are also most likely to get a job upon graduation in Scotland which i'd wager is slightly more important than bragging about how someone in your university did research in a field you don't study got published and cited.
Reply 17
Original post by ukmed108
Well academically is based purely on research and nothing else. What matters more are the home league rankings in which St Andrews places 4th, 6th and Glasgow is 23rd, 21st because they judge based on student satisfaction, entry grades, student to staff ratio etc.

So yeah because Glasgow is a larger university it has more research and thus a higher ranking on research. However, for an undergraduate degree St Andrews is the better option. St Andrews grads are also most likely to get a job upon graduation in Scotland which i'd wager is slightly more important than bragging about how someone in your university did research in a field you don't study got published and cited.

I wasn't trying to say Glasgow is a better university... just that its still a really good one. Its not as if there is a insane difference of quality between Glasgow and St. Andrews.
Reply 18
Original post by asack
I wasn't trying to say Glasgow is a better university... just that its still a really good one. Its not as if there is a insane difference of quality between Glasgow and St. Andrews.

Ah ok sorry then, it just irks me when people or schools cherry pick rankings. Getting a rank of 5th in all 3 rankings means something whereas getting a rank of 5th in one and 15th in the others doesn't.
Reply 19
You should also take living costs in to account. It IS much more expensive to live in St. Andrews. I don't mean the cost of clothes or shoes - I mean most people would just visit Dundee or Glasgow or Edinburgh for these sorts of things. But rent - I think the halls are probably more expensive in St Andrews and if you want to rent a flat it is very much more expensive than Glasgow.

Quick Reply

Latest