The Student Room Group

I'm nearly 20 and still not allowed to move out for uni! :(

I have very strict unbearable parents. They go through my draws, wardrobes and my things in order to find something against me. I have to hide things like photo's of me and my guy friends because otherwise I'd get in trouble..

Because of them, I think i'm not the bubbly person that I should be. Instead, i've become quiet, and 'boring' because I feel like I'm so depressed. I'm in uni (haven't been allowed to move out for 2 years now) and I lie about having late practicals just so they are forced to let me stay the night at a friend as they don't want me taking the journey home on a train at that time of night.

They are beginning to suspect all these 'late practicals' now but my uni does not give out any details of students so they have no way of knowing that they are not true. I mean in my course, we do have late practicals but only one a semester, I've exaggerated it to one every two weeks so I can spend time with friends etc...

Seeing as I'm not allowed out any other time, I've lost many friends and don't have very many now. But the ones that I do have, I love.

I need to move out but they are against it saying that I don't need my own indepedence etc. Does any one have any advice? What shall i do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
out of interest why are they so against you haveing indepedence if you 20 now how old do they exspect you to be befor you can move out.
Reply 2
Just show them the law, tell them that they can't do anything and you're moving out. Having bad parents can really damage a person from developing into a decent person..
Reply 3
You've got to stand up to them, it won't be easy but they'd have to stick their heads pretty far up their behinds to not see your point :smile:
Reply 4
I dont really understand how they can physically stop you though. They're not gonna chain you to a pole in the backgarden. If you want to leave, you leave. You have every right to be a young and sociable woman, and if your parents are rootting around your room and telling you off at the age of 20, you should probably leave.
Reply 5
Apply for accommodation without telling them. When you've signed the forms they can't really do anything about it, can they? Might be the unethical way but sometimes you need to rebel to people holding you back, parents or not.
Reply 6
You've got to move away one day, university is probably the best chance for you to do that as there are many others going through the same as you. Try and explain that to them if you haven't already tried:smile: If that doesn't work then I agree with ann13, I'm not sure what else there is you could do
The concept of being "allowed" at 20 amuses me.
Reply 8
Are they Muslim?
Grow a backbone and move out. You're an adult for goodness sakes.
Reply 10
Original post by 93jm
out of interest why are they so against you haveing indepedence if you 20 now how old do they exspect you to be befor you can move out.

Urm, they assume I'm going to go out clubbing, drinking and getting with lots of guys and then getting pregnant apparently? Lots of my friends who have lived out for the past two years at uni don't do this.. I mean they go out yes, but no one is THAT stupid and I've met lots of my friend's parents who actually go shopping with them for clubbing outfits haha, i find that crazy!

Original post by Michaelj
Just show them the law, tell them that they can't do anything and you're moving out. Having bad parents can really damage a person from developing into a decent person..

I agree. I have lost lots of friends. Everyone is going out for NYE and ovii, I'm gonna be on TSR and probably crying my eyes out. My friends don't even ask me out anymore cos they know I'll say no.

Original post by GPH92
I dont really understand how they can physically stop you though. They're not gonna chain you to a pole in the backgarden. If you want to leave, you leave. You have every right to be a young and sociable woman, and if your parents are rootting around your room and telling you off at the age of 20, you should probably leave.

Nope, they can't hold me back. And I've decided to apply for uni halls as a special condition case. I've suffered from depression because of this so I could use that as a reason to live out? It's gonna be really hard trying to get halls from September as I'll be going into my third year but gonna try!

Original post by ann13
Apply for accommodation without telling them. When you've signed the forms they can't really do anything about it, can they? Might be the unethical way but sometimes you need to rebel to people holding you back, parents or not.

I am gonna do that (Y) I rebel a lot already. Like I said I say I have late practicals every two weeks so I can go clubbing every two weeks and enjoy myself but I'd like to do spontaneous things, like randomly go out on a Friday without having to plan it a week in advance.

Original post by amyyx_
You've got to move away one day, university is probably the best chance for you to do that as there are many others going through the same as you. Try and explain that to them if you haven't already tried:smile: If that doesn't work then I agree with ann13, I'm not sure what else there is you could do

Yeah, it's just the moving bit thats the most difficult. I know they wont be supportive at all but I think I need to do this (Y)

Original post by doggyfizzel
The concept of being "allowed" at 20 amuses me.

Well, yeah it amuses me too? Most people don't understand how it feels. I don't wanna disobey/disrespect/hurt my parents but at the same time I wanna be happy and have supportive parents that want me to have friends ! The majority of my friends are white therefore they find it odd as well but it's quite depressing for me :/
Original post by Anonymous
I have very strict unbearable parents. They go through my draws, wardrobes and my things in order to find something against me. I have to hide things like photo's of me and my guy friends because otherwise I'd get in trouble..

Because of them, I think i'm not the bubbly person that I should be. Instead, i've become quiet, and 'boring' because I feel like I'm so depressed. I'm in uni (haven't been allowed to move out for 2 years now) and I lie about having late practicals just so they are forced to let me stay the night at a friend as they don't want me taking the journey home on a train at that time of night.

They are beginning to suspect all these 'late practicals' now but my uni does not give out any details of students so they have no way of knowing that they are not true. I mean in my course, we do have late practicals but only one a semester, I've exaggerated it to one every two weeks so I can spend time with friends etc...

Seeing as I'm not allowed out any other time, I've lost many friends and don't have very many now. But the ones that I do have, I love.

I need to move out but they are against it saying that I don't need my own indepedence etc. Does any one have any advice? What shall i do?

honestly if i were in your position i would just move out and risk the consequences
its your life not your parents' and they need to realise that
I can sympathise, there was a day that my parents were just as crude and controlling. I did manage to reason with them eventually after a long struggle.

While people who are saying move out aren't wrong in the sense that it is the eventual best option, you have to take into consideration what will happen after uni?
Will you be able to afford to live alone? Because I doubt you will suddenly be able to go live back with your parents after storming out never to return.
It's hard to change a parents mind especially these type, they always think they are right simply because they're older and more 'experienced'. That being said if you just move out like some people suggest it's not going to be a 'only during uni' situation. Even if it is your parents won't change after uni and you will be back in the same situation once you finish, only this time you don't have any excuses about late lectures.

Sometimes getting advice from people who have never been in your situation is not as helpful as you think, they don't understand the situation as well.
I agree you need to move out, I just think it's wise to pre-plan, maybe wait until you get a job to financial secure a room to live in for after too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by a_t
Are they Muslim?

Yes. I still think its wrong however. I have muslim friends that live out. I just honestly don't understand it. I've been born in this country so I am quite westernised and still like to do things other people my age like doing like clubbing, late night cinema, spontaneous walks to Asda etc etc ... things uni students do!
Well, yeah it amuses me too? Most people don't understand how it feels. I don't wanna disobey/disrespect/hurt my parents but at the same time I wanna be happy and have supportive parents that want me to have friends ! The majority of my friends are white therefore they find it odd as well but it's quite depressing for me :/
You can't disobey your parents you are an adult, not a child. I would say lying and sneaking about is pretty disrespectful. If you want to convince your parents you are a mature trustworthy adult, you should probably act like a mature trustworthy adult.

Perhaps you should just tell your parents you want to move out. Sit down and have a conversation about like adults. You aren't asking for permission you are simply informing them. If they don't trust you to make grown up decisions at 20 then they have failed as parents. Tell them you want to move out now as a halfway house before you have to completely move out when you finish uni. There are valuable life skills to be learned when you live on your own.
Reply 15
Yes. I still think its wrong however. I have muslim friends that live out. I just honestly don't understand it. I've been born in this country so I am quite westernised and still like to do things other people my age like doing like clubbing, late night cinema, spontaneous walks to Asda etc etc ... things uni students do!

Whether you're a Muslim doesn't change anything. You're an adult. Your decisions are your own to make not theirs. Their actions will cause long-term resentment. Make dau for help and get out.
Reply 16
Original post by So Instinct
I can sympathise, there was a day that my parents were just as crude and controlling. I did manage to reason with them eventually after a long struggle.

While people who are saying move out aren't wrong in the sense that it is the eventual best option, you have to take into consideration what will happen after uni?
Will you be able to afford to live alone? Because I doubt you will suddenly be able to go live back with your parents after storming out never to return.
It's hard to change a parents mind especially these type, they always think they are right simply because they're older and more 'experienced'. That being said if you just move out like some people suggest it's not going to be a 'only during uni' situation. Even if it is your parents won't change after uni and you will be back in the same situation once you finish, only this time you don't have any excuses about late lectures.

Sometimes getting advice from people who have never been in your situation is not as helpful as you think, they don't understand the situation as well.
I agree you need to move out, I just think it's wise to pre-plan, maybe wait until you get a job to financial secure a room to live in for after too.

I wish I could rep you, but I'm out unfortunately
Original post by dgeorge
I wish I could rep you, but I'm out unfortunately

That's pretty funny, it's often the same situation when I come across a post of yours.
I tend to agree with most of your stuff, the exchange between the 'py0alb' guys stands out in my memory.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by doggyfizzel
You can't disobey your parents you are an adult, not a child. I would say lying and sneaking about is pretty disrespectful. If you want to convince your parents you are a mature trustworthy adult, you should probably act like a mature trustworthy adult.

Perhaps you should just tell your parents you want to move out. Sit down and have a conversation about like adults. You aren't asking for permission you are simply informing them. If they don't trust you to make grown up decisions at 20 then they have failed as parents. Tell them you want to move out now as a halfway house before you have to completely move out when you finish uni. There are valuable life skills to be learned when you live on your own.

Sit down and have a conversation about like adults

Here's the thing, sitting down and having an adult conversation generally will NOT matter one lick. I've been in the situation before. It's literally like talking to a brick wall - nothing you say or do to them will get through

There are valuable life skills to be learned when you live on your own

Believe me, this is easier said and done. Especially when your life is built and centered around your family. It would be great to simply stand up and say "I'm moving out" but you have to consider that there are far reaching ramifications, ESPECIALLY for a female.
Reply 19
Original post by ann13

Accomodation forms require a guarantor signature. She'll have to know someone willing to do that to get into student halls.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending