The Student Room Group

student finance please help

Hi,
Need a little advice, this year i would be studying for my 3rd year at uni but because i fell pregnant before the course started I went on maternity leave and will go back in September 2013. I have just received student finance which I should not have received i was under the impression that my uni would contact student finance to say that I am on maternity leave.

Should I contact student finance to inform them that they have paid me, but the only problem is I thought it was my maternity grant that went in my bank so I have spent £250 of it on bills.If i ring student finance will they take the money off me? so i will need to find £250 to replace what I have spent which i wont be able to do easily.

But I don't want it to effect me when I go back in September to do my third year. Any one know if it will effect what I get next year or what is best to do
Hi,

Im not exactly sure about the ins and outs of student finance but yes you need to tell them ASAP!

They will more than likely have to recover the amount but you can just replace it with your maternity grant. Whilst you are not in education and on Maternity leave, there should be benefits and other financial advice you can get, if not getting already, so any money paid by student finance should not really be needed.

There not going to pay you for your first term of third year twice. They need to know exactly when your studying and not, so just give them a quick call and explain if you are going to have problems re-paying in one go.
Reply 2
You need to phone Student Finance. They should negotiate payments with you.
Reply 3
Original post by emmak1408
Hi,
Need a little advice, this year i would be studying for my 3rd year at uni but because i fell pregnant before the course started I went on maternity leave and will go back in September 2013. I have just received student finance which I should not have received i was under the impression that my uni would contact student finance to say that I am on maternity leave.

Should I contact student finance to inform them that they have paid me, but the only problem is I thought it was my maternity grant that went in my bank so I have spent £250 of it on bills.If i ring student finance will they take the money off me? so i will need to find £250 to replace what I have spent which i wont be able to do easily.

But I don't want it to effect me when I go back in September to do my third year. Any one know if it will effect what I get next year or what is best to do

firstly its the students responsibility to inform student finance of any changes like that. so phone them tomorrow. yes they probally will ask for the money back but they can arrange a payment plan with you so you dont need to pay it all in one go

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending