The Student Room Group

English Lit AQA, A Level - Gothic

Hi

Is anyone studying specification B on Elements of the Gothic?

I studying Macbeth (Shakespeare), Frankenstein (Shelly), and Dracula (Stoker).

How are you finding it, what are you finding hard/easy.
Do you have any tips on anything?
How are you revising?

Which quotes are you collecting to use in the exam, and why?

HELP!!!!

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I ammm :smile:

I'm studying Doctor Faustus, Wuthering Heights and The Bloody Chamber :smile:

Ahhh I am SO jealous of the texts you're doing! Macbeth is my favourite Shakespeare play although I've already studied it, and I really wanted to do Frankenstein :frown:

I'm enjoying A2 a lot more than AS :smile: I'm finding the essay technique easier as it's equally weighted on language, structure, form and context. I guess the main thing that's harder is the fact it's a closed book exam.

For revision, I'm making quotation tables- a table for the following issues:

- Characters
- Themes
- Aspects of The Gothic - e.g. Supernatural, Horror, Gore etc
- Portrayal of Women (If relevant)
- Settings

and making essay plans for past questions. I've not really started revising properly yet though! This is more what I intend to do :smile:
Reply 2
I'm doing Bloody Chamber, Macbeth and Wuthering Heights :smile:
I'm finding Wuthering Heights the hardest, so I'm going through each chapter making notes and doing research on it, then im going to make a poster for the main quotes which to relate to gothic, characterisation, themes of love ect. Quite a long process but i think i will be useful!
Have you tried the york notes? they are really good, especially for the bloody chamber :smile: Good Luck!
Anyone got any ideas what themes could come up in section B?

Posted from TSR Mobile[/S
I'm doing Wuthering Heights, The Bloody Chamber, Macbeth and Frankenstein, as my teacher thought it would be better to study four texts so that we had more choice on questions.
However, we were told that Dracula had been taken off the syllabus?
Reply 5
I'm doing The Bloody Chamber, Frankenstein and Chaucer.
I find the texts easy to understand and talk about... it's just putting it down on paper that's the tricky bit!! Ahhhh
Reply 6
apprently there hanst been a cathy question for wuthering heights section A yet! im hoping something along the lines of love or power for section B
Reply 7
i did the gothic last year - studied wuthering heights, the pardoners tale and the bloody chamber and i have a LOAD of notes and essays which i dont mind sharing if anyone wants them. i worked really hard on my english lit a2 exam so my notes are pretty good x
Reply 8
Original post by wizzy2646
i did the gothic last year - studied wuthering heights, the pardoners tale and the bloody chamber and i have a LOAD of notes and essays which i dont mind sharing if anyone wants them. i worked really hard on my english lit a2 exam so my notes are pretty good x

Hi there Wizzy, could you please share me your notes & essays for the Bloody Chamber & Pardoners tale please? I would really appreciate it :biggrin:
Reply 9

Please could you share your Bloody Chamber notes? :smile: :smile: x

Any Wuthering Heights notes or Bloody Chamber notes would be highly appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 11

Could I have bloody chamber and wuthering heights please??
Reply 12

I'd love some notes on the Pardoner's Tale please, if you wouldn't mind :-D
Reply 13

wuthering heights and bloody chamber pleaseeeee :biggrin:
Reply 14

Hey! Please would you send me your Wuthering Heights/Bloody Chamber notes? It'd be super helpful as I missed a load of our class notes due to illness and I don't want to sound ungrateful or anything but my friend's notes were kind of irrelevant and mostly doodles so I'm not feeling confident with either texts at all :frown: It doesn't matter if not but thanks in advance! :smile:

Rosa x

Bloody Chamber please :smile: x
Reply 16
I'm taking this exam, studying Macbeth, Frankenstein, The Bloody Chamber and Northanger Abbey. I'm planning on doing lists of quotations by themes for each, but more in depth on Macbeth and Northanger cos I'm going to do my Section A essay on one of those two. Is anyone else doing Northanger? We haven't actually started it in class yet, but I'm really looking forward to it cos I love Austen's works.
Reply 17

Hii can you please share your notes and essays on the bloody chamber with me... :biggrin:
Reply 18
Hi, could you possibly share your resources with me as well? I am attempting Wuthering Heights and The Bloody Chamber so anything on those would be very welcome. Let me know how you could get them to me. :smile:
Reply 19
wizzy is not handing out notes unfortunately guys - dont get your hopes up like i did!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending