The Student Room Group

Chinos - yes or no?

I like wearing chinos (not the H&M/Topman type things that you'd find on the highstreet). As a guy, I think I dress pretty well but my friends say that I should be wearing jeans instead.

I wear jeans as well as chinos but they say that chinos aren't in fashion/aren't cool. Is that true?

Scroll to see replies

hmmm.... there are certainly a few chino stereotypes out there. Take a look here for a prominent one: http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/chino%20****ers. These guys all seem to be convinced they're the dogs *******s, but those who are commenting... quite the opposite.

However I think that with determination you can make chino's your own.
I wish you luck
xox
unfortunately the url here was censored. just google " tumblr chino w*****s" and it should pop up if you are still interested. :smile:
Stuff what your friends say, be yourself and wear what you want. If you want to wear chinos, jeans or a suit, that's up to you!

Personally, I think the more traditional chinos are nice. :smile:
Reply 4
My 12-year-old brother thinks chinos are the height of coolness.

So, um, no.
They've come into fashion, and now they're going out of fashion.

I've liked Chinos for a while. I wore them out of some lingering sense of the RAF, and not liking the Skinny jeans thing that rocked around 2008.

To be honest, this season we're being gently reintroduce to our old staple: The tracksuit bottom/ striped trouser look. I'm going to stick with chinos and baggy jeans for a while thanks.
Reply 6
I like Chinos so I wear them. **** what your friends think.
Original post by danny111
I like Chinos so I wear them. **** what your friends think.

Quote for truth
Original post by Renaissance Man
I like wearing chinos (not the H&M/Topman type things that you'd find on the highstreet). As a guy, I think I dress pretty well but my friends say that I should be wearing jeans instead.

I wear jeans as well as chinos but they say that chinos aren't in fashion/aren't cool. Is that true?

Lol chinos.

Imo they look pretentious, like you're trying too hard to make an effort. Or you're trying to emulate your Geography teacher :dontknow:
Reply 9
The chino ****er tumbr is gold.

I think chinos have become a scapegoat. From that tumbler and life in general I know that it is not really the chino itself that people hate but rather the things they add on to it (straps, extra pockets, drop crotch, elastic ankles, stupid colours) the other items that they wear with it (buttoned-up-to-the-top checked shirt, vans, spiked hair, deep V jumper) and the fact that everybody is wearing the same damn thing with no originality. The chino itself is a great thing. The first serious alternative to jeans since the tracksuit bottom and a way to be more smart yet still stay casual. Unfortunately it has been murdered by high street fashion and the fact that most people don't know how to properly handle a smart casual item in their wardrobe. Chinos are smart casual not casual and should be accordingly worn with smart brown shoes and a tucked in shirt. And you iron the mother****er!
what on earth does "not the H&M/Topman type things that you'd find on the highstreet" mean? Are Topman chinos a "fake" chino sort or something?
Original post by S.R
The chino ****er tumbr is gold.

I think chinos have become a scapegoat. From that tumbler and life in general I know that it is not really the chino itself that people hate but rather the things they add on to it (straps, extra pockets, drop crotch, elastic ankles, stupid colours) the other items that they wear with it (buttoned-up-to-the-top checked shirt, vans, spiked hair, deep V jumper) and the fact that everybody is wearing the same damn thing with no originality. The chino itself is a great thing. The first serious alternative to jeans since the tracksuit bottom and a way to be more smart yet still stay casual. Unfortunately it has been murdered by high street fashion and the fact that most people don't know how to properly handle a smart casual item in their wardrobe. Chinos are smart casual not casual and should be accordingly worn with smart brown shoes and a tucked in shirt. And you iron the mother****er!

You say it's a " serious alternative to jeans" but then you say that it should be worn with a tucked in shirt and smart brown shoes. So you say that jeans should also only be worn with a tucked in shirt and smart brown shoes? bit of a contradiction there dude
Reply 12
Original post by pixelfrag
You say it's a " serious alternative to jeans" but then you say that it should be worn with a tucked in shirt and smart brown shoes. So you say that jeans should also only be worn with a tucked in shirt and smart brown shoes? bit of a contradiction there dude

Plenty people wear jeans with a tucked in shirt and brown shoes nowadays and you can do the exact same thing with chinos hence why it is an alternative.
Reply 13
I always wear chinos, often bright colours and all my friends give me stick for it (just banter mind). But when they're drunk most of them haw admitted that I pull them off well, plus all the girls like them, and lets face it, that's who we dress for ;-) anyway your friends will mock you for anything slightly outside the norm that you do, that's what friends are for so don't listen to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by S.R
Plenty people wear jeans with a tucked in shirt and brown shoes nowadays and you can do the exact same thing with chinos hence why it is an alternative.

Oh I see. I consider it to be a complete alternative, wear it with vans, wear it with leather boots, whatever goes with jeans tends to go with chinos. They don't have to be smart casual.
what on earth does "not the H&M/Topman type things that you'd find on the highstreet" mean? Are Topman chinos a "fake" chino sort or something?

49803705_l.jpg

This is what I mean. It is not ok.
Reply 16
If you get straight leg or slim fit chino, then that is fine.

It's when all these morons buy cuffed or drop crotch chinos that make seem as if they took a dump that accentuates the chino ****er stereotype.

But it shouldn't be like that; they are a very nice trouser.
Reply 17
Oh I see. I consider it to be a complete alternative, wear it with vans, wear it with leather boots, whatever goes with jeans tends to go with chinos. They don't have to be smart casual.

I'd disagree with you and say that it is criminal because there are codes that have to be stuck to but these fashion codes change over time. Go back 50 years and the idea of wearing cowboy pants to work must have been unthinkable yet we do it now in the form of jeans. I do personally deep down think that chinos can actually be worn casually but only the blue variety. I'm sorry but khaki smart trousers with vans or boots and an ironic t-shirt just looks like an odd fad and even if you try and "de-smart" the chinos by changing the cut and adding straps or whatever then it just makes it worse. But that's just my personal opinion. If you can make it work then good for you but the problem is that most people can't hence why they should just stick to the code rather than following others blindly and ending up looking stupid.
Original post by S.R
I'd disagree with you and say that it is criminal because there are codes that have to be stuck to but these fashion codes change over time. Go back 50 years and the idea of wearing cowboy pants to work must have been unthinkable yet we do it now in the form of jeans. I do personally deep down think that chinos can actually be worn casually but only the blue variety. I'm sorry but khaki smart trousers with vans or boots and an ironic t-shirt just looks like an odd fad and even if you try and "de-smart" the chinos by changing the cut and adding straps or whatever then it just makes it worse. But that's just my personal opinion. If you can make it work then good for you but the problem is that most people can't hence why they should just stick to the code rather than following others blindly and ending up looking stupid.

I think if they're skinny/carrot cut chinos then they're alright for casual wear, but otherwise they end up looking like regular trousers which do not work the same way straight cut jeans would do. They'd only work if used as smart-casual as you suggested.
I hate chinos, they make you look like the end of a cigarette. The only ones I find acceptable are black because you can't tell if they're chinos or just jeans, unless you go for that silky type material.

Jeans all the way.

Quick Reply

Latest