The Student Room Group

Gf argues over money

Anon for obvious reasons.

I want some perspective on this.

My gf is better off than me financially by a lot. Her parents are doctors and she receives a ****load of money. Me on the other hand my parents give me a small amount per month. We are both grad students too.

Ok this is the issue. We always split down the middle even tho in recent times it can be hard for me as I don't have much money. Also over the last 5 years I have never once charged her petrol money for my car.

So recently we went to a restaurant and she paid. But I had forgotten I owned her half. She said she wants £10 because I am so anal and always split, that she now wants it as she feels used. (so she was doing it to make a point)

It all blew up into a big argument and I took it out on her as I found her approach highly irritating. She started saying I buy you all these free gifts but I don't even ask for them.

I find it harsh. How am I expected to match each other financially when our situations are different :frown:

Scroll to see replies

I think you need to talk about this. My boyfriend and I don't split down the middle all the time as I get grants and he doesn't, so our compromise is that he pays to come and see me, but I pay for food etc. while he's here. You need to reassess the situation together when you're calm (e.g. say you'd more appreciate perhaps paying less than half for a meal in exchange for her not buying unnecessary gifts).
Reply 2
Sounds a bit petty to me.

My other half and I pay our way from one pot. Whatever each of earns goes into and out of one bank account. We don't see it as "my money and your money" it's OUR money.
Big purchases are always discussed, but the little stuff - well that's just life isn't it?

Bigger and better things to worry about IMHO.
I think you're both being selfish and childish.

You sound like friends who aren't really that close. If you are in a relationship then there is no need to split all the time, just make sure you pay for a fair few things, as she should do too.
Reply 4
Original post by such_a_lady
I think you need to talk about this. My boyfriend and I don't split down the middle all the time as I get grants and he doesn't, so our compromise is that he pays to come and see me, but I pay for food etc. while he's here. You need to reassess the situation together when you're calm (e.g. say you'd more appreciate perhaps paying less than half for a meal in exchange for her not buying unnecessary gifts).

No but that's the thing I don't mind splitting meals e.t.c. It's just how she makes it out she is superior for spending on gifts which I didn't even ask for and saying she doesn't want people to use her. We have been together for over 5 years and she accuses me of using her :rolleyes: Drives me mad :angry:

I see her every ******* day and I drive her everywhere for all these years and never once asked for petrol.

Had enough.
Get out of there now!
Reply 6
Original post by Runninground
I think you're both being selfish and childish.

You sound like friends who aren't really that close. If you are in a relationship then there is no need to split all the time, just make sure you pay for a fair few things, as she should do too.

It's coming across wrong in the OP. We usually split meals or tickets to somewhere. As in if one person buys tickets then the other buys the food. It tends to even out but I am just getting annoyed as to how I am expected to match her financially in general.
Reply 7
Original post by JC.
Sounds a bit petty to me.

My other half and I pay our way from one pot. Whatever each of earns goes into and out of one bank account. We don't see it as "my money and your money" it's OUR money.
Big purchases are always discussed, but the little stuff - well that's just life isn't it?

Bigger and better things to worry about IMHO.

That part is so true. If I was working and not studying this issue wouldn't occur. I couldn't careless about counting pennies even if I am on a basic wage. It's just right now since I get a certain amount per month I have to make it last.
Reply 8
Just because she's from a wealthier background, it doesn't mean you should freeload. :naughty:
Reply 9
Original post by Iron Lady
Just because she's from a wealthier background, it doesn't mean you should freeload. :naughty:

That's what upsets me. I don't do that. In fact I always make sure no one takes advantage of her which has happened a few times with others. Now she is effectively accusing me of it.

I called her every cruel name I could think of as I feel so angry.
Reply 10
I don't see the issue here - it seems fair enough that you should both have a similar financial outlay. Whenever it comes to money between my boyfriend and I, we basically either split things down the middle or one of us pays (usually him) and the other looks for another opportunity to pay for something else so it evens out (usually me).

You cannot expect someone you are in a relationship with to subsidise your life, that's just not the way it works. It's not like you're married - you both have your own lives and your own financial affairs.
While we didn't share a bank account, when I was with my ex it was more a matter of who had money and who didn't. I got money from my parents and I worked, while she didn't even have a job for a while. While she did have a job, she paid for what she could but there was a bit of an acceptance that I just had more money than her. It wasn't a problem and I didn't mind because if you are a couple I just think it is a group effort. Obviously you dno't want to feel exploited, but I guess I was in your gf's shoes and I never felt that way. Tbf, by the sound of the way you are describing things, I don't think it is REALLY finances that are the issue; it sounds like you guys are just having some relationship issues...
Reply 12
Original post by georgia
I don't see the issue here - it seems fair enough that you should both have a similar financial outlay. Whenever it comes to money between my boyfriend and I, we basically either split things down the middle or one of us pays (usually him) and the other looks for another opportunity to pay for something else so it evens out (usually me).
You cannot expect someone you are in a relationship with to subsidise your life, that's just not the way it works. It's not like you're married - you both have your own lives and your own financial affairs.

Sensible post. That's what we do, the bit in bold. Like I bought us both tickets to go somewhere and I didn't even ask to go halves. It's annoying that she thinks I am using her which is what hurt the most I think and demanding £10.
Explain your situation to her parents and ask them for money?
Reply 14
Original post by Anonymous
That's what upsets me. I don't do that. In fact I always make sure no one takes advantage of her which has happened a few times with others. Now she is effectively accusing me of it.

I called her every cruel name I could think of as I feel so angry.

If you want to do the same activities as her, you're going to have to meet somewhere halfway - which means paying the same amount.

I would feel angry if someone expected me to pay more, just because I have more money. Where is the line drawn?

If you call her names, you're being silly. You can address the problem maturely, if you're rude you will just push her away.

Do you expect her to pay for you? If you can't commit to paying, just say you can't and suggest an alternative. But don't make her pay more.
Reply 15
Original post by marcus2001
Explain your situation to her parents and ask them for money?

If it's for necessity, i.e. you cannot afford food, then asking her parents for money would be excusable. But to fund their relationship, no. They're not a cash cow.
If you want to do the same activities as her, you're going to have to meet somewhere halfway - which means paying the same amount.

I would feel angry if someone expected me to pay more, just because I have more money. Where is the line drawn?

If you call her names, you're being silly. You can address the problem maturely, if you're rude you will just push her away.

Do you expect her to pay for you? If you can't commit to paying, just say you can't and suggest an alternative. But don't make her pay more.

This, as well. You say "how can I match her financially given my situation"... why don't you just sort out a situation where you can afford it? Maybe you wont' exactly be able to do all the things you want to do, but it seems a bit wrong for you to expect her to pay for stuff. Yeah, she hasn't payed for fuel, but you give her no indication that you've asked her to either.
If it's for necessity, i.e. you cannot afford food, then asking her parents for money would be excusable. But to fund their relationship, no. They're not a cash cow.

Ja, ich war ein Scherz
Reply 18
if she keeps asking for the £10 point out the fuel you havn't asked for her to pay for.
In the future go out less or go to places in your budget not hers.
Reply 19
Just pay her! Simples

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending