The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 1
i didnt get that impression on the open day, and if you look at your unit options im pretty sure you can pick your focus and avoid anything you dont want to study.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
I'm applying in a few months and REALLY want to do politics at edinburgh. Any politics students around with a word of advice?
Reply 3
im not a student, but from what ive seen the department is really good. did you go to the open day ?
FizzPopSpan
Hey all, sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am v.v.v.stupid myself.

If you study politics at Edinburgh, is it partially concentrated on Scottish politics as a devolved country?

Cheers all!

han xx :smile:

Hmm... well my flat mate has just finished 1st year politics, and from what I detected from him ramblings... there wasn't a lot of scottish stuff. He did essays on equal representation for women in parliament, and also in his 2nd semester exam had to compare the political set up in south africa, germany, UK and somewhere else I think.

Can't be much more help than that... but what I am fairly certain about is that, in the first year anyway, the course isn't designed around Scottish politics (whereas Law, for example is designed around Scottish Law)
Reply 5
The 1st year is divided into 2 parts: Introduction to Politics & International Relations and Democracy in Comparative Perspective

The first semester course gets you used to different forms of government i.e Presidential, Parliamentary etc and voting systems, party types and origins and other background things.

The second semester course compares instituions and electoral patterns, devolved/regional government and electoral/assembly systems in 3 countries: UK, Germany & South Africa.

It's a really interesting course (well at least the second semester).

The second year is focused on International Cooperation in Europe & Beyond, Social & Political Enquiry and Social & Political Theory.

Hope this helps!
Reply 6
Steerz
The 1st year is divided into 2 parts: Introduction to Politics & International Relations and Democracy in Comparative Perspective

The first semester course gets you used to different forms of government i.e Presidential, Parliamentary etc and voting systems, party types and origins and other background things.

The second semester course compares instituions and electoral patterns, devolved/regional government and electoral/assembly systems in 3 countries: UK, Germany & South Africa.

It's a really interesting course (well at least the second semester).

The second year is focused on International Cooperation in Europe & Beyond, Social & Political Enquiry and Social & Political Theory.

Hope this helps!

thanks, that's v. useful
Reply 7
Steerz - is what your describing the core politics course, as in my first i'm doing politics & theology, hopefully a floater in a language or english literature.
Reply 8
lukeyboy
Steerz - is what your describing the core politics course, as in my first i'm doing politics & theology, hopefully a floater in a language or english literature.

Uh huh, it's the first year politics course that all those taking Politics as a degree must do.

Both courses are 20 credits each by-the-way, a third of the 120 credits minimum you're allowed for a year.
Reply 9
Is there any coverage on environmental politics? and development?

Also, anyone has a take on whether BBB for A levels would have a chance?
Reply 10
there's a Honours course called "Environmental Politics in Europe" (you take it in your 3rd/4th year):

This course examines European environmental politics from a comparative and international perspective. Following an introduction to the debates and concepts central to understanding environmental politics in comparative perspective, the course explores key actors and dynamics shaping national environmental policy and politics in Europe. The knowledge of national differences will be the base from which to study the European Union's unique role in shaping national, transnational and international environmental policy. The final weeks will concentrate on the international nature and impact of environmental issues.

furthermore, in "International Cooperation in Europe and Beyond" (year 2, semester 1 course) one of essay questions was "Why has the European Union played such an active role in global climate change agreements?"..

hope that helps!
Reply 11
Thanks, any information helps!
I was looking for something more on the developing world and asian/african context tho..
I'm on first year politics, I wouldn't say there's a lot of Scottish stuff in it at all. It's mentioned more often than I suspect it would be in England but it's not a feature. IPIR's a bit boring if you've done politics before but DCP is really interesting IMO.
Reply 14
I second the fact the IPIR is a bit boring if you have done politics before but DCP is more interesting. Just be warned that IPIR is rather theory based and the lecture material is pretty dull.
Politics as a whole at Edinburgh is pretty good, the politics society gets lots of speakers from around the UK (not just Scotland). Politics tutorials are dependent on the tutor and willingness of students to participate in discussion (as with any tutorial). The courses are well organised though and you only have to write one essay per semester which is always a bonus!

Latest

Trending

Trending