The Student Room Group

Is it worth reapplying to Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiyaM95
Ah man I'm so sorry to hear that! It's never great when you get hassle from your parents about it too. But this is your life and these next few years are all yours and will shape the person you're going to be, so you should have the final say, not your parents or your teachers!

Honestly, I recall saying to a friend I'd made at interview JUST before they announced who had been pooled "I don't care if they give me a rejection right now, on the spot - I just want to go home!"

I got 27 on my LNAT and a 'very good' essay (despite the fact that I'd written something along the lines of 'if we let prisoners vote then Nick Griffin will come to power) and a 'good' interview.

Good luck with your German interview - the UCL language interview was, in my experience, genuinely pleasant and the people there are really lovely! At my Oxford one, she asked me what my hobbies were, and I (very honestly) answered "eating". She gave me a look like she wanted to slap me! The UCL interviewer's first question was "So it says here you went to Malaga last year, what did you eat there??"

I felt the same about the pooling situation though. It hurts so much that we were 'close, but not close enough'! Let me know what you decide and how it goes, but the good thing is that we have a long while to make the decision!
xxxxxxx

thanks for the reassurance on the UCL interview! I feel more relaxed now :smile:
yeah I know, I made it into the last 2 out of the 6 they tried to pool, but only one girl actually got a pooled interview! That day got longer with every hour that passed, but at least I met awesome people who cheered me up! Did you get feedback? I think we just have to be proud that we got that far, although I realised at the point when I was told to go home and felt so bad, I really wished that they had given me a straight rejection instead of building me up for an interview that never happened!! (I got face to face feedback after they'd decided to pool me and before the faculty decided that I wasn't good enough)
xxx
Reply 21
Original post by geesebewithyou
thanks for the reassurance on the UCL interview! I feel more relaxed now :smile:
yeah I know, I made it into the last 2 out of the 6 they tried to pool, but only one girl actually got a pooled interview! That day got longer with every hour that passed, but at least I met awesome people who cheered me up! Did you get feedback? I think we just have to be proud that we got that far, although I realised at the point when I was told to go home and felt so bad, I really wished that they had given me a straight rejection instead of building me up for an interview that never happened!! (I got face to face feedback after they'd decided to pool me and before the faculty decided that I wasn't good enough)
xxx

Oh wow, I didn't get anything of the sort :frown: I asked them "does this mean that we're no longer under consideration by St. John's?" and he just said he couldn't comment.

Three of us got pooled, none of us got interviews. One of the girls who got pooled was absolutely brilliant; amazing personality, passionate, sharp, academically flawless and really friendly and when she didn't get in I just thought to myself "well sod if they're turning away people like her then maybe it's not the place for me".

I did get feedback, it just rubbed salt in my wounds though :L After my first interview, I knew I wasn't going to get in :frown:

Ah well, their postgraduate course looks a lot more interesting IMO, and now we get to have 4 years in London town! xxxx
Reply 22
Good luck.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by DiyaM95
Oh wow, I didn't get anything of the sort :frown: I asked them "does this mean that we're no longer under consideration by St. John's?" and he just said he couldn't comment.

Three of us got pooled, none of us got interviews. One of the girls who got pooled was absolutely brilliant; amazing personality, passionate, sharp, academically flawless and really friendly and when she didn't get in I just thought to myself "well sod if they're turning away people like her then maybe it's not the place for me".

I did get feedback, it just rubbed salt in my wounds though :L After my first interview, I knew I wasn't going to get in :frown:

Ah well, their postgraduate course looks a lot more interesting IMO, and now we get to have 4 years in London town! xxxx

aww :frown: no in that respect Merton was really cool, but the feedback they gave wasn't that confidence boosting, 'your voice needs to have more energy' :s-smilie:, then one said I was adaptable which was good, and the other tutor said I wasn't adaptable enough! And they said not enough eye contact in the third interview... which we had to do using notes we'd made in the 45 min preparation time. But how can I read and look at them at the same time!!
And the Merton tutors said in the introductory talk on the first evening that the law faculty rules had changed for this year to mean that once we were pooled out, we couldn't be taken back by Merton, although a girl who was initially pooled and then fifteen minutes later got told to go home (so never actually stayed the extra day) has an offer! so that was clearly rubbish!

Yeah it's crazy! An absolute lottery at times, plus some people have parents who went there and still have contacts at the college (a girl I know actually told me that her parents' friend offered to give her a 'leg-up', which she declined and she applied to a different college to prove her worth, but she does have an offer! Most of the other people I know who got in have parents who went there as well :/ that just makes me think, what chance did I have?!
Yeah who needs jurisprudence and a law degree that isn't even qualifying anyway?! If I get into London! :P
xxxx
Reply 24
aww :frown: no in that respect Merton was really cool, but the feedback they gave wasn't that confidence boosting, 'your voice needs to have more energy' :s-smilie:, then one said I was adaptable which was good, and the other tutor said I wasn't adaptable enough! And they said not enough eye contact in the third interview... which we had to do using notes we'd made in the 45 min preparation time. But how can I read and look at them at the same time!!
And the Merton tutors said in the introductory talk on the first evening that the law faculty rules had changed for this year to mean that once we were pooled out, we couldn't be taken back by Merton, although a girl who was initially pooled and then fifteen minutes later got told to go home (so never actually stayed the extra day) has an offer! so that was clearly rubbish!

Yeah it's crazy! An absolute lottery at times, plus some people have parents who went there and still have contacts at the college (a girl I know actually told me that her parents' friend offered to give her a 'leg-up', which she declined and she applied to a different college to prove her worth, but she does have an offer! Most of the other people I know who got in have parents who went there as well :/ that just makes me think, what chance did I have?!
Yeah who needs jurisprudence and a law degree that isn't even qualifying anyway?! If I get into London! :P
xxxx

Haha, it is a qualifying Law degree but it IS 12 essays a term whereas in London you'll get 4 :wink:

Well I suppose all we can do now is take the feedback we've given them and use it to our best possible advantage and smash all the interviews that are yet to come in life!

Having said that, saying one thing and doing another is really out of line from Merton :frown: And you'll get into London no sweat! Just seem really enthusiastic and chatty and you'll be great - everyone I've spoken to who's studying a Laws with German/French/Hispanic/Italian Law degree said that they thought they'd cocked up their interview but they were as chatty and honest as they could be :biggrin:

When's the interview? xxxx
Original post by DiyaM95
Haha, it is a qualifying Law degree but it IS 12 essays a term whereas in London you'll get 4 :wink:

Well I suppose all we can do now is take the feedback we've given them and use it to our best possible advantage and smash all the interviews that are yet to come in life!

Having said that, saying one thing and doing another is really out of line from Merton :frown: And you'll get into London no sweat! Just seem really enthusiastic and chatty and you'll be great - everyone I've spoken to who's studying a Laws with German/French/Hispanic/Italian Law degree said that they thought they'd cocked up their interview but they were as chatty and honest as they could be :biggrin:

When's the interview? xxxx

lol ok, I always got told it's not, everyone told me it wasn't an actual LLB, just a BA because they spend so much time on jurisprudence and study law in a more academic way, so that was why the Cambridge course was more popular? Or maybe that's changed recently... 'Cause my head of sixth form says Law at Cambridge is the fifth most competitive course to get into out of all courses at all universities!

yeah :smile:

Oh cool, thanks for the advice!!! Yeah I think you definitely have to seem enthusiastic!

Wednesday :smile: And there's an open day for us in the morning! So should be nice to meet the other applicants!
xxxx
Reply 26
lol ok, I always got told it's not, everyone told me it wasn't an actual LLB, just a BA because they spend so much time on jurisprudence and study law in a more academic way, so that was why the Cambridge course was more popular? Or maybe that's changed recently... 'Cause my head of sixth form says Law at Cambridge is the fifth most competitive course to get into out of all courses at all universities!

Oh cool, thanks for the advice!!! Yeah I think you definitely have to seem enthusiastic!

Wednesday :smile: And there's an open day for us in the morning! So should be nice to meet the other applicants!
xxxx

Ooooh not really, at Law at Cambridge has 5 applicants per place, Law at Oxford 6 per place and last year UCL had 17 per place :wink: I would have thought medicine would have been the most competitive though? :O

We've just got to go forth and push up UCL even further in the league tables :wink:

Awh yeah that'll be lovely, and there's another open day for Law offer holders in March so who knows, maybe we'll see each other then?
xxxxx
Reply 27
Original post by DiyaM95
Ooooh not really, at Law at Cambridge has 5 applicants per place, Law at Oxford 6 per place and last year UCL had 17 per place :wink: I would have thought medicine would have been the most competitive though? :O

We've just got to go forth and push up UCL even further in the league tables :wink:

Awh yeah that'll be lovely, and there's another open day for Law offer holders in March so who knows, maybe we'll see each other then?
xxxxx

Hey, what did you do in the end out of interest? Did you reapply?
Original post by DiyaM95
I got rejected from St. John's College, Oxford for Law with Spanish Law a couple of weeks ago.
I went through the whole "**** YOU OXFORD I NEVER WANT TO ****ING GO NEAR YOU AGAIN I WORKED MY ARSE OFF YOU DICKS" phase and now I've come out on the other side, and I'm wondering: should I go for it again?

I got my feedback from the college:
- LNAT score was good (on a scale of very poor to excellent)
- LNAT essay was very good (on a scale of very poor to excellent)
- Interview was good (on a scale of very poor to very good)
- GCSEs were excellent.

Now I know that I could have done a LOT better and interview, and that the LNAT essay I wrote was one of my worst. I've got it into my head that if they considered my LNAT essay to be a 'very good' one and I managed a 'good' interview on 2 hours of sleep, then with more experience and preparation, I could do myself proud?

The college held me and two other candidates back for further interviews, but then we never got any.

Another issue is college choice. I made the wrong one. I had a horrible interview week. No sleep, my room felt like a prison, I felt like I was constantly trying to impress everyone I met there (I actually spent 3 hours sitting in the cupboard in my room before an interview hyperventilating) and then everyone I actually made friends with (bar one person) got rejected. I know which college I'd go for next time around, and I know that the tutors' research interests are what I'm really interested in too.

I don't know whether I'm just genuinely not suited to the place/course/teaching style, or that I am and my nerves completely ruined it for me.

I have an offer from King's College London, and an offer for Law with Hispanic Law at UCL, and I'm waiting on LSE and Warwick. UCL would be my firm if I didn't reapply, because they're giving me a year in Madrid, and I really love the atmosphere there :biggrin: The courses on offer at the London unis appeal to me more than the Oxford one, but I know that prestige matters a lot in the field of law :/

Is it my stupid sense of pride that's getting in the way?
Should I be happy with the offers I have?

Sorry for the essay guys, if anyone's in a similar position then hit me up! And, if any of you have any words of advice it'd be greatly appreciated :smile: xxx

I'm in a similar position at the moment, what did you decide to do in the end? It would be really helpful to know! xxx

xxxx

Sorry just thought I'd clear this up for you - it is a BA not an LLB. Oxford only offers BA degrees for all subjects, unless your degree has a Masters year included. They also do study Jurisprudence - but it is a qualifying law degree and always has been as far as I know!
What were your GCSE results, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 31
Sorry I'm replying years later but I wanted to ask (if you don't mind) how you/your friend that got into Cambridge spent your gap year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending