The Student Room Group

Restructuring at Uni, lost supervisor for Masters

Because of recent changes at the university of which I am a student, I have lost my supervisor.
This is problematic for obvious reasons.

The way the degree is orchestrated, I have to be 'approved' to continue through to full master's status, otherwise finishing at PGDip. I would rather continue to the end, especially as I have paid for the whole thing.

As my supervisor is now unable to help me through the second part, what are my rights or options for transferring to another institution or convincing the university that I require an imported supervisor (if such things are possible).

My field is quite niche.

Hope I have posted this in the right place.
Go and talk to the Head of Dept or Dean of graduate Studies or whoever is responsible *within your Dept* (dont do it by email).

They have a moral responsibility to make sure you are able to finish your degree and should allocate you another supervisor. If there isnt anyone in the Dept, then you probably do have the option of transferring Unis - but of course your current Uni dont have to help you do that.

Do you know where you current supervisor has gone? Could you also go to that Uni? Another possibility is that your current Uni could pay your supervisor on a casual basis to continue with you - this has happened at my Uni where a key staff member had to move miles away for family reasons; she continues to supervise 2 PhD students although she's no longer employed by the Uni.

Your first step is to go and see a senior member of staff. Be calm and constructive, but firm about what you want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending